2019 PHC announced

Jazz June
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

had a pour recently and thought it was good, my bar was low after all the bad reviews floating, but i thought it was better than Cornerstone; better texture and a nice long finish

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a chance to grab this bottle at MSRP - any thoughts on whether the liquid is worth the $$ from those that have tried it ??

54 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

I have a chance to grab this bottle at MSRP - any thoughts on whether the liquid is worth the $$ from those that have tried it ??

Numerous posts in this thread answer that very question. Most importantly though, you now have a bottle. Why don't you tell us?

• I like it 4

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 1:19 PM, flahute said:

Numerous posts in this thread answer that very question. Most importantly though, you now have a bottle. Why don't you tell us?

So, I bought this yesterday, and shared with some friends today during the first NFL game.   We liked but didn't love it.   Very heavy char on the palate.   The finish with the brown sugar and molasses is great.   I am not sure it is worth the MSRP, I would not be another bottle for the same price.   Much better than the orange forward PHC from 2018 however.   The fun was in the tasting we did.

I felt compelled to post a picture of the open bottle.   I think some on here thought I was a flipper, etc. with the quick likes to the previous post.   It's funny, I have been on the board more than a year and have not posted much by design.   I was always hesitant to post as You can tell there is an old guard in charge around here mentality, and you don't see many newbies stay or contribute long.   I have often felt more diversity and inclusion might invite others in.   I get the need  to keep the flippers and "users" off the site - I agree this great board and resource is not what this is for.   I have learned so very much and respect many of you and your knowledge and bunkers.  

However, I got that same treatment when I was only looking for help.   Just couldn't help myself to give as Paul Harvey would say...... The rest of the story.

Not trying to cause trouble or be a PIA - just brining up something that will make me hesitant to post again.

Here's to more inclusion in 2020.   Cheers

IMG_1582.jpg

• I like it 5

4 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

So, I bought this yesterday, and shared with some friends today during the first NFL game.   We liked but didn't love it.   Very heavy char on the palate.   The finish with the brown sugar and molasses is great.   I am not sure it is worth the MSRP, I would not be another bottle for the same price.   Much better than the orange forward PHC from 2018 however.   The fun was in the tasting we did.

I felt compelled to post a picture of the open bottle.   I think some on here thought I was a flipper, etc. with the quick likes to the previous post.   It's funny, I have been on the board more than a year and have not posted much by design.   I was always hesitant to post as You can tell there is an old guard in charge around here mentality, and you don't see many newbies stay or contribute long.   I have often felt more diversity and inclusion might invite others in.   I get the need  to keep the flippers and "users" off the site - I agree this great board and resource is not what this is for.   I have learned so very much and respect many of you and your knowledge and bunkers.  

However, I got that same treatment when I was only looking for help.   Just couldn't help myself to give as Paul Harvey would say...... The rest of the story.

Not trying to cause trouble or be a PIA - just brining up something that will make me hesitant to post again.

IMG_1582.jpg

You are correct - there is an old guard mentality here and for good reason. The majority of the old guard was here and into bourbon before it became the THING that everyone and their brother is now into.

Ever spend any time on one of the various bourbon facebook groups out there? They are shit shows. Everyone is in it for the profit, snark, and showing how big their balls are. We are not like that and we actually enjoy drinking and talking about non allocated bourbons. There are many more newcomers to this place than ever before and many flame out because they show up demanding instant respect simply because they are here. They forget that respect is earned. Respect is earned by posting intelligently and frequently and making yourself known. If feel offended by a member of the old guard, man up, forge ahead and keep posting. Being hesitant to post is not how you will make yourself known in the right way. Coming on here to complain about a slight is going in the opposite direction.

I too was once a newbie. I too stayed quiet and observed for a length of time. Once I learned the lay of the land, I started posting more frequently and eventually became known. If I screwed up and someone jumped my case, I brushed it off and kept going. Now here I am.

What will your path be? It's up to you.

• I like it 3

Speaking of “the Old Guard”, I tried this for the second time last night w some other longtime SBers at Barb Helt’s home. We ,of course, toasted in Tom’s memory and recalled some tall tales. I enjoyed the pour but again found it a little underwhelming. Give me this at 10 or 12 years old and I might like it more. 

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, geclbxf said:

A word to the (hopefully) wise.   

Please don't be too quick to take offense, even if it seems one or two folx want to jump to conclusions about you, even when it may seem others are doing it in your direction.   Many here are very protective of the good nature of this site - with good reason; see flahute's post above.   

Try to hang with it, and let it roll off your back while you get your bona fides accepted.   It's worth it!    This site is unexcelled . . . unparalleled even; and, IMHO worth the patience and forbearance.   

I stumbled more than a few times and was given a little comeuppance for being a bit thin-skinned at first; but stuck with it after this same sort of advice from a couple folx, and am very glad I did.

I've had more damned fun, and learned more about Bourbon here than I ever thought I could.     Please let yourself be known and let yourself find some friends here.   You'll be glad you took the time, I bet.

• I like it 3

IMG_1582.thumb.jpg.c0f693bb6be5cbfa52553c6fcdab1e69.jpg

A word to the (hopefully) wise.   
Please don't be too quick to take offense, even if it seems one or two folx want to jump to conclusions about you, even when it may seem others are doing it in your direction.   Many here are very protective of the good nature of this site - with good reason; see flahute's post above.   
Try to hang with it, and let it roll off your back while you get your bona fides accepted.   It's worth it!    This site is unexcelled . . . unparalleled even; and, IMHO worth the patience and forbearance.   
I stumbled more than a few times and was given a little comeuppance for being a bit thin-skinned at first; but stuck with it after this same sort of advice from a couple folx, and am very glad I did.
I've had more damned fun, and learned more about Bourbon here than I ever thought I could.     Please let yourself be known and let yourself find some friends here.   You'll be glad you took the time, I bet.

I think Flahute (Steve’s) initial response to your question about the worthiness of this year’s release was appropriate since it didn’t appear that you had read any of the posts above before asking the question. That will always make a newbie appear to be just what you assumed at the start of your second post. This forum is very inclusive if you stick around, but as Steve and Rich indicated with their follow up responses, you’ve got to put in the effort too, so thanks for your posts. I hope you stick around...and plan a trip to Bardstown during one of our annual Spring gatherings...you may find that you’ll appreciate this group even more. I know I have since my first Bardstown trip.
  • I like it 5

21 hours ago, geclbxf said:

I thought this was a great post. Each of us has our own likes and dislikes as far a favorites or good pours. No one can tell you what will taste good, you've got to try it with an open mind for yourself. Better yet as your post describes trying a new bourbon with a group of friends, and getting multiple viewpoints. I said it was a great post because you bought the bottle and tried it BUT you were kind enough to share your personal experience. You explained WHAT you were tasting and gave an opinion as to whether you'd buy another if offered. All this to me makes a great post. Thanks for your contribution.  

• I like it 1

On 1/5/2020 at 7:38 PM, geclbxf said:

Many people have addressed this point but I'll chime in.

You can call it an old guard thing if you want, but there are some moves on this forum that are always going to piss people off. Frankly, if you've been on the board for more than a year, you should have figured out what they are by now.

Number one is - "I have this bottle, what is it worth?"

Number two is - "I bought a bottle, it's sitting here in front of me. What does it taste like?"

Number three is - "I don't know what it tastes like, but I cleared the shelf because it's rare/collectible."

If you haven't learned this yet, every single one of us is going to be gnashing our teeth and thinking  OPEN. IT.

We are anti-flipping on the forum because flippers have spent the last five years coming between we hobbyists and buying bottles to drink. Yeah, we don't like it.

The implication when you ask that question is that if we tell you it's not worth it, you will leave it sealed and flip or trade it. Why would anyone here be enthusiastic about helping you with that?

You want to know how to be "old guard" effective immediately?

Open your bottle right away, and give us YOUR opinion about how it tastes. Like you did above, eventually, but do that FIRST. In case you haven't noticed, that is what is common among everyone you are referring to as the old guard.

Lastly, if you think that the established members on this forum represent some sort of bully culture, you must have a hard time most other places on the internet.

• I like it 6

Lastly, if you think that the established members on this forum represent some sort of bully culture, you must have a hard time most other places on the internet.

I love this. Should be the last bullet on any creed, mission statement, or commandments for SB. [emoji16]
  • I like it 1

On 1/7/2020 at 9:13 AM, Old Dusty said:

I went to a PHC Rye thread and a SB.com user manifesto broke out. 

Wasn't the first time, probably won't be the last! Alas, the points above need to be made on a regular basis.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Wasn't the first time, probably won't be the last! Alas, the points above need to be made on a regular basis.

Given the longevity of this board it seems to be working. 

• I like it 2

I actually think the holier-than-thou attitude some have on this board is damn weird. I'm assuming it comes from a certain demographic — older guys are grouchy.

It's one of the reasons I don't read the board as much and post even less. The guy just asked a question. The responses were weird!

• I like it 1

All the old guy comments reminded me of this:  ?

99BDA628-9EED-41EF-8E54-39258044E134.jpeg

• I like it 12

I imagine some folks stepping into SB and wandering amongst our membership and discussions, is much like Akeem and Semi stepping into the barbershop...If you overlay bourbon discussions and characters over those discussions and characters, it’s pretty similar!  ?

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 3

18 hours ago, Spade said:

I actually think the holier-than-thou attitude some have on this board is damn weird. I'm assuming it comes from a certain demographic — older guys are grouchy.

It's one of the reasons I don't read the board as much and post even less. The guy just asked a question. The responses were weird!

It does seem a bit odd at times but I also understand the frustration.  Still not sure why bourbon/whisky has blown up like it has especially by goofs of my millennial generation, but I can only imagine how badly the guys that have been on this forum and into bourbon for many years have gotten burned.  Flipping bottles and price gouging ruins the entire hobby and turns it into a business/greed.  Just stupid.  

• I like it 1

I'd like to point out that there weren't weird responses to the original question, but a single response asking "why don't you tell us." That's a fair question, and so was asking whether PHC is worth the MSRP. And then the discussion shifted to a different topic... Given SB's proven track record of being the Internet's foremost resource for civilized bourbon discussion, sometimes we need to act on the presumption that there is no malice intended when context and tone of a post is ambiguous. Please refer to exhibit A below and keep posting the good stuff.

love.jpg

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Kane said:

That's a fair question, and so was asking whether PHC is worth the MSRP.

You may disagree, but it is a fundamentally different question when it is asked after the purchase has already been made. The same is true about how something tastes.

Communities are also about what you can put into them, not just what you can extract from them. If you lead with the latter, you're going to elicit defensiveness.

I think a lot of the response (certainly mine) was to the "You could have had me as more of a participating member, if y'all weren't such jerks" aspect of his post. Where in life would this be the way to improve relations with any group, anywhere, at any time? And I do mean anywhere. I'm legitimately at a loss for how he thought he was going to get a virtual hug and a cookie with that approach. If you think that's old man grouchiness, does that work with young people or something?

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

You may disagree, but it is a fundamentally different question when it is asked after the purchase has already been made. The same is true about how something tastes.

Communities are also about what you can put into them, not just what you can extract from them. If you lead with the latter, you're going to elicit defensiveness.

I think a lot of the response (certainly mine) was to the "You could have had me as more of a participating member, if y'all weren't such jerks" aspect of his post. Where in life would this be the way to improve relations with any group, anywhere, at any time? And I do mean anywhere. I'm legitimately at a loss for how he thought he was going to get a virtual hug and a cookie with that approach. If you think that's old man grouchiness, does that work with young people or something?

I 100% agree with everything you said.

> "You could have had me as more of a participating member, if y'all weren't such jerks"

...including the fact that this one could have been conveyed in a much better way.

Giving feedback is a skill and it's hard work; humans make non-optimal decisions when emotions (and the Internet) are involved. So is receiving feedback. Looking past the bumpy communication, new members stating that they feel hesitant to contribute is valid and important feedback in my opinion.

With that, given that the purchase wasn't even made at the time of that post ("I have a chance to grab this bottle at MSRP"), and the post+pic that came later is exactly the kind of participation folks lurking here are looking for... My intention isn't to deconstruct the situation and scientifically analyze every aspect of it, but it's obvious a bunch of like-minded folks are talking past each other here.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:57 AM, Kane said:

I 100% agree with everything you said.

> "You could have had me as more of a participating member, if y'all weren't such jerks"

...including the fact that this one could have been conveyed in a much better way.

Giving feedback is a skill and it's hard work; humans make non-optimal decisions when emotions (and the Internet) are involved. So is receiving feedback. Looking past the bumpy communication, new members stating that they feel hesitant to contribute is valid and important feedback in my opinion.

With that, given that the purchase wasn't even made at the time of that post ("I have a chance to grab this bottle at MSRP"), and the post+pic that came later is exactly the kind of participation folks lurking here are looking for... My intention isn't to deconstruct the situation and scientifically analyze every aspect of it, but it's obvious a bunch of like-minded folks are talking past each other here.

I will provide "the rest of the story"

After my initial response, the person who posed the question dm'd me to ask what he did wrong while pointing out that he said in the post that he had not purchased it yet.

I went back and looked and he was right so I apologized. I let him know that as a moderator I have to read every post and that sometimes I can read too fast and miss something which was the case here. 

I pointed out how the buying of a desirable bottle and then coming here for info on it so the buyer could decide if they should keep it or trade/sell it is quite common and pointed to another thread where that exact same thing was happening (guy with 4 Hancock's in hand and asking for opinions). So I told him he did nothing wrong and to answer his question pointed out the prior page of the thread had the answers he was looking for and that the members making those posts were some of the most respected members on this board and that their opinions are solid.

So he then comes back and decides to post what he did. That was a poor choice and could have been handled so differently.

• I like it 3

You all told someone to open a bottle that hadn't been purchased and then act like that's not weird. Get a grip dudes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.