What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on these in Texas two weeks ago... Good prices, but as I stated in another thread, I'm waiting for them to grow up to be OWA.

20191106_100516.thumb.jpg.b3e9d677579fcc509f1701dbc6c431ad.jpg

• I like it 2

Was traveling for work yesterday and turned it into a mini-hunt, hitting a handful of stores in small towns and a few in bigger towns that I rarely visit.  Best offer I got was ORVW for $200.  Left empty-handed. 

Today I was offered a KO Confiscated for $150, which was an easy pass.

Hoping my passes turn into some good karma since my local got a handful of PVW15 and is selling at $150!  That, I will gladly purchase if given the chance.

• I like it 1

While I really like it, I passed on the latest release of OF1910 at the local Meijer for $60.99.  That is a $10 increase from last year.  I will shop around a little to see if I can find a better price.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

22 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

I think I need to Turkey up a bit. Also passed on baby saz 

21612B50-4AE0-47B4-8962-1B3A7D5E0EB4.jpeg

I opened up that Kentucky Spirit pick tonight (zoomed in and same barrel). It is excellent. I may go back for another.

Local Costco had WhistlePig 18 year rye for $299, and Wild Turkey Masters Keep Cornerstone rye for $139.

I opened up that Kentucky Spirit pick tonight (zoomed in and same barrel). It is excellent. I may go back for another.

Seems hard to justify a Spirit when RR picks are the same price.
  • I like it 1

11 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Seems hard to justify a Spirit when RR picks are the same price.

I enjoy both WTKS and RRSB profiles, although they are definitely different to me.   I have had a couple of private picks of WTKS that were so outstanding that I would gladly pay more than the going RRSB rate to acquire more.

Count me as a Turkey fan who underestimated WTKS until this very week. 

I was privileged enough to find a WTKS single barrel private selection that is stunning and worth every bit of the $50/bottle I paid for the six pack. 

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, parksmart said:

Local Costco had WhistlePig 18 year rye for $299, and Wild Turkey Masters Keep Cornerstone rye for $139.

Wow, can you send your Costco to Chicago?? ; )

Edited by Steven C
  • I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Steven C said:

Wow, can you send your Costco to Chicago?? ; )

I have often whined about the Indy area Costco's being weak when it comes to bourbon.  However, one of the stores has a solid liquor guy and he has really stepped up their game.  They had MM RC-6 recently for $45.99 which I foolishly passed only to return and find it gone.  They have a solid a nice OF1920/Signature set for $60., a nice set of 3 cask strength 375 MM - MM, 46 and 46 private select - for $69.99, New Riff for $31.99 plus several standards for solid prices.  They regularly stock Whistle Pig for $69.99.  He occasionally gets Bookers and other difficult to find offerings at decent prices.

• I like it 1

^Some of those are in the Chicago-burb stores too...but not the RC-6 (that *was* a buy, I think)! And the New Riff... nice to have a guy who's on the ball.  I might have to have a talk with our Chicago dudes!!  ; )

20 hours ago, parksmart said:

Really good price on the WT Cornerstone. I’d bite for sure.

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Really good price on the WT Cornerstone. I’d bite for sure.

Having bought a Cornerstone for $150, I wouldn't buy a second for 139. But that's just me.

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

Having bought a Cornerstone for $150, I wouldn't buy a second for 139. But that's just me.

Thanks to friends like you I haven't bought a single one!

• I like it 3

22 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

THX.  I wondered.  Your palate is close enough to mine (based on years of reading your comments) that I'll put this one on hold unless/until I get a free (or inexpensive!!) taste.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, DCFan said:

I got an email from the ABC about a shipment of MM CS Private Select they got in for $69.99.  I passed.

I saw this, too, then I visited the VA ABC website.  A VERY few stores got up to 100 750s, but most stores got none.  The closest to where I travel is in Richmond.  I am NOT going to drive down there for something I haven't tasted yet.  The other MMCS PSs I've purchased were in MD and DC, and they were all under $65, and I got to taste them first.

I passed on KO 10 year for $128.  No interest.  

I also passed on Bakers Single Barrel for $50 and OF1910 price unknown.  I plan to go back tomorrow when then liquor guy is there and get more info.

41 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

and on sale, no less

20191124_204355.jpg

Not a Blantons fan I take it? I dont think I couldve passed at that price!

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I saw this, too, then I visited the VA ABC website.  A VERY few stores got up to 100 750s, but most stores got none.  The closest to where I travel is in Richmond.  I am NOT going to drive down there for something I haven't tasted yet.  The other MMCS PSs I've purchased were in MD and DC, and they were all under $65, and I got to taste them first.

I saw a bunch in Arlington and McLean and a lot more in the Dulles area but I didn't want to spend $70 on an unknown when the regular MM is right in my wheelhouse.

9 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Not a Blantons fan I take it? I dont think I couldve passed at that price!

no, not really. i think i'd rather spend that money on the LB Old Elk barrel pic. 8 yr mgp. i had a taste & it was good!

13 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

no, not really. i think i'd rather spend that money on the LB Old Elk barrel pic. 8 yr mgp. i had a taste & it was good!

Single Barrel ? Cant blame you there. I liked the 4 year OldElk I tried but 8 yr MGP would be hard to pass up.

Passed on this for $100.  Probably a mistake ?

Jos. A. Magnus & Co. (13 years old) "Joseph Magnus" Barrel #1360 K&L Exclusive Single Barrel Cask Strength Indiana Straight Bourbon Whiskey

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.