What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw that K&L has Knob Creek 12yr. 100 proof at $55.  Passed.  Can't see that it would be as good as an older store pick for less $$.  Curious if anyone has tried it yet...

• I like it 1

On 10/23/2019 at 10:13 AM, PhantomLamb said:

Little Book Chapter 3 @ $120.  Not sure if this was a bad/good decision?

Well I was able to snag a bottle a few weeks back and haven't seen it since...so in that respect it was a good purchase.  From a taste standpoint its really great too!

14 minutes ago, GoCubs85 said:

Well I was able to snag a bottle a few weeks back and haven't seen it since...so in that respect it was a good purchase.  From a taste standpoint its really great too!

But would you consider it to be about 2x better than Booker's since the price is roughly 2X what a bottle of Booker's cost(at least in my area)?

39 minutes ago, Double C's said:

But would you consider it to be about 2x better than Booker's since the price is roughly 2X what a bottle of Booker's cost(at least in my area)?

Not a fan of Booker's at all so I would consider it infinity times better.

The question for me would be is it 3x better then then a well aged KCSiB pick.  Really 2x as I keep being told those bottles won't be $40 in 2020.  

I do not have a current KC pick to do a SBS, but overall I would say yes, it is that much better.  I thought LB3 was balanced, had nice layered flavors and depth and a really good mouthfeel/viscosity.  Whether it is worth the asking price is an individual decision, but the juice is legit.

Sheesh, I may pick this up then.  Wasn't prepared to spend $120 but if it's a solid pour, it could be a present to myself lol.

• I like it 1

Weller 107 @ $149.99...a bit high!!!  I paid about a 1/4 less than 12 months ago for a Weller 12 in the same store where I buy exclusively when I am home...it just rubs me the wrong way when stores do this.

• I like it 5

Got a text from a local LS that they got 1 bottle of WLW.  Had a price tag of 499.99 on it.   Passed on that bottle but it did sell with in the hour for asking price.

I stopped in to my local supermarket. get supplies for the upcoming blackout and passed on Blantons.  They had three bottles in the case at $70 ea.   Strange that I've never seen this on the shelf at any LS around here but Safeway occasionally has it.  Maybe they'll get some BTAC this year.  :lol:

blantons3.jpg

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

I stopped in to my local supermarket. get supplies for the upcoming blackout and passed on Blantons.  They had three bottles in the case at $70 ea.   Strange that I've never seen this on the shelf at any LS around here but Safeway occasionally has it.  Maybe they'll get some BTAC this year.  :lol:

blantons3.jpg

I also often see Blanton's at Safeway. Cracks me up every time.

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

blantons3.jpg

Maybe it's a reflection, but it looks like they stacked them on top of each other. 

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

blantons3.jpg

If you get six, they’re only $63 each !

Passed up on an OESV PS. The store just rubs me the wrong way. It was $69.99  which is pretty normal around here + $5-10.  

The sticker made me laugh. I didnt know there were still bottles of this that said "bourbon mash." It must not have had the selling power they were hoping. 

20191029_111114.jpg

• I like it 1

Four Roses 2019 Limited Edition Small Batch (and it was not the Select).  MSRP is supposed to be around $145 IIRC.  Online stores are offering it and past releases in the $250-$350 range.  Local store had ONE @ $400 firm. Passed on it but picked up a discounted, older batch of Murray Hill Club to share at Christmas.

EDIT - Hoping it lasts that long.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
A thought crossed my mind.
  • I like it 6

7 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Four Roses 2019 Limited Edition Small Batch (and it was not the Select).  MSRP is supposed to be around $145 IIRC.  Online stores are offering it and past releases in the $250-$350 range.  Local store had ONE @ $400 firm. Passed on it but picked up a discounted, older batch of Murray Hill Club to share at Christmas.

EDIT - Hoping it lasts that long.

What batch of MHC did you land upon, @Harry in WashDC? I can probably give you some production background on it if you like. 

• I like it 5

Passed on Elijah Craig 18 year $159.99 and the new Parker’s Heritage for $179.99. Too rich for my blood right now.

• I like it 1

59 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

Passed on Elijah Craig 18 year $159.99 and the new Parker’s Heritage for $179.99. Too rich for my blood right now.

I may have caved on the EC18. I love that stuff.

• I like it 2

Passed on a PH . . . at $170 or so OTD.    Couldn't pull the trigger at that rate.   The mixed reactions I've seen, along with my distinct preference for Bourbon over Rye made it an easy pass.   

Saving my bux for the new Little Book, if it ever shows around here.

I know it’s good, but I’ve been passing on the LB III.  Admittedly, the decision was made easier by the fact that the last couple of ECBP releases have been pretty generous in the areas I frequent (so I used the savings to buy more). ;)

• I like it 2

We did our regular weekend shopping yesterday, and I passed on everything. ?   Most notably WSR @ $29.99, (thanks for the heads up Mike) and BT on sale @$21.99. Even though I have a crap ton of both, it was still  hard to pass on ‘em .    ?

Biba! Joe

PS. FWIW, we do have to go out briefly again today. One never knows. ?

• I like it 2

Just saw Henry McKenna marked at $89.  I see it around town marked at $39.  I pass on it at $39 but I truly thought I was reading the tag wrong when I saw the price!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.