Maker's Mark...good bourbon or gimmick?

joe1974
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

MD, when you buy a barrel, do you have the option of letting it age for an extra year or two?

Back to the original question. MM is a gimmick. It will never last. Oh wait, its only been around for 61 years. I bet it becomes popular and is a mainstay in bars across the country.

One of my first bottles of bourbon was Maker's Mark. It was good, but I still walked away from it for quite a few years because I wasn't into the wheated bourbon thing. Just recently, at my brother's urging, I picked up another bottle. I forgot how good it actually was. Here's the thing- all our tastes are different, so being labelled a gimmick simply on the basis of thinking it may or may not be marginal whiskey is pretty subjective. For me, Weller sucks and I KNOW I'm in the minority for that. I don't like Four Roses or Eagle Rare. I DO however enjoy Old Grand Dad, Old Overholt, Evan Willams 1783, and other whiskeys that could certainly fall into the "value" category. Heck, I'll go so far as to say I don't mind paying the price for Knob Creek! For me, Maker's Mark is a very good whiskey at a reasonable price. I don't expect everyone else to feel the same way.

To me, Makers Mark is a solid bourbon. Being sweeter than most bourbon it's more approachable to the average person than a high rye bourbon. More importantly, Makers Mark has had excellent marketing and a really good distribution system. I can't think of a wheaten bourbon than more people know about in more places. With one of the most distinctive bottles in bourbon, it's easy to spot on the bar and all that marketing means you know what that bottle is so you order it.

Solid bourbon, easy to drink, great marketing and a very recognizable bottle combine to create what MM is today.

Maker's was my go to for years until I became obsessed with, errrrr........an "enthusiast" for bourbon. There are many other flavor profiles I prefer better now, but if I was to be at a bar or in someone's home and Maker's was the only option, I would not be sad.

I didn't take MM very seriously until some friends and I did a blind tasting (something I strongly recommend everybody do periodically!) of a handful of common brands and it did very well. As far as wheaters go, there really are not many options that are readily available. It made a nice step up from Old Fitz or Rebel Yell (given that the Weller expressions are so tough to find consistently). I think Larceny beats it, though, in approximately the same price category.

I've barely tasted MM46, but I'd be inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Personally, I have always loved Makers Mark and always will. I think it is a high quality bourbon at an extraordinarily good price but suffers from being too "common" in the minds of many. To be sure, it is far from the most complex bourbon on the shelf but is nevertheless extremely consistent and delicious in my book. It also does extremely well in blind tastings with my friends, if wheaters are in your wheelhouse.

Maker's is my preferred bourbon to use in a sour. On its own, I believe that it is a solid bourbon which doesn't get the respect it deserves. If it were in a Weller bottle who knows how much it would cost. As for it being a gimmick...nonsense. On the other hand, the limited edition colored waxes don't help their cause...

Admittedly Makers uses gimmicks to market their product but so does everybody else, cheezy sales approaches go all the way back to the glass log cabins sold by E.G. Booze in the 1860s. Most of the Maker's marketing story is horseshit but so is putting the name Evan Williams on a label with the date 1783 as if there is any connection whatsoever with the current product in the bottle.

Makers is good whisky no matter how presented.

rumor has it that since the Suntory purchase, the barrels are not being rotated near as much.

rumor has it that since the Suntory purchase, the barrels are not being rotated near as much.

Details, please? Do you know rotation schedule/process for "before" sale, as compared to "after"?

Thx.

I heard a rumor that Obama is Elvis's love child but haven't seen any proof.

As for it being a gimmick...nonsense. On the other hand, the limited edition colored waxes don't help their cause...

I guess it's a good bourbon WITH a gimmick or two, but aren't most of them? Nods to Squire & Uncle Bunk & DNB for saying what I'm saying. Sometimes MM in a restaurant suits when I just want something simple but good. MMCS, which I just tried recently, is now a must-keep around (an ever-growing list). But then, MM already has me as a sometime drinker so they don't need to make their ads catch my eye.

I guess it's a good bourbon WITH a gimmick or two, but aren't most of them? Nods to Squire & Uncle Bunk & DNB for saying what I'm saying. Sometimes MM in a restaurant suits when I just want something simple but good. MMCS, which I just tried recently, is now a must-keep around (an ever-growing list). But then, MM already has me as a sometime drinker so they don't need to make their ads catch my eye.

I agree too. It's a good bourbon, with slick gimmicks and/or marketing to match.

Time for me to expound on this some. :rolleyes: Yeah I know. But hey, it's been a while since I've posted something really long and windy. :lol:

First off, a parable. Many years ago when I was still really into fishing, I was always checking out the latest and greatest fishing lures that came out on the market. Fortunately for me, I got to know a really good guy that worked at the main sporting goods store I frequented. He helped me a lot, and gave me some great info over the years. I specifically remember one time when I visited the store he worked at. It wasn't very busy, and we got the chance to chat a little bit for a change. So, to cut to the chase here, his comment about fishing lures was this: "You know, pretty much all lures will catch fish, but (with all the colors, glitz, glitter, dohickeys and gimmicks) they're meant to catch fishermen first." :grin:

This kinda fits with bourbon too. Whether it's a cool bottle, fancy box, new label, different colored wax tops, or a great story, etc, it's all meant to catch us "bourbon fishermen" first. ;)

Strip away the veneer, and MM is a darned good bourbon at a pretty fair price. MM was pretty much my gateway bourbon, as it was for a lot of folks here. I've strayed away from MM numerous times, and went on to what I thought was bigger and better things. That being said, I will always have a bottle in my bunker, if not open. I keep revisiting it, and I'm never disappointed. I do wonder at times why I don't visit it more often than I do. Reckon I'll have to open a bottle soon. :crazy: FWIW, I really like the MMCS, although I would rather have seen MM try a 101 proof version first. Hell, now I guess I'm gonna have to open a MMCS soon too. :skep:

One last thing. For those that don't know, MM has done many different variations of the wax colors on their bottles. They've done that to celebrate many sports teams championships, amongst other things. I won't go into details on all they've done, but I will say that I have a Colts Super Bowl bottle. :cool: I got it signed by Bill Samuel's and Dave Pickerel too. :woohoo:

Cheers! Joe

FWIW, I really like the MMCS, although I would rather have seen MM try a 101 proof version first. Hell, now I guess I'm gonna have to open a MMCS soon too.

I used an iPhone app and basically an eyedropper to bring a pour of MMCS down to 100 proof...and wasn't as impressed. They seem to have batched together barrels that taste best at barrel proof without dilution. It was still good, but a lot of the subtle nuances were gone.

I actually do dilute my MMCS to 100 proof for regular sipping. Keep some in the bottle for more full bodied pours tho. But I do enjoy it at 100.

I used an iPhone app and basically an eyedropper to bring a pour of MMCS down to 100 proof...and wasn't as impressed. They seem to have batched together barrels that taste best at barrel proof without dilution. It was still good, but a lot of the subtle nuances were gone.

What's the app? It helps figure out proof?

I know this is going to sound old school and ridiculous, but simple math and / or Excel will accomplish the same thing...

I enjoy all of the Maker's labels so I say good bourbon. I really enjoyed the "over aged" they used to have as part of the tasting at the distillery. Makes me wish they would release something with more age at some point.

I know this is going to sound old school and ridiculous, but simple math and / or Excel will accomplish the same thing...
I know what you mean but I'm never in the mood to bust out a calculator or pen and paper to figure these things out when I'm drinking. There is a wonderful proof calculator right here on the SB home page, in fact, that I sometimes use but that requires going to my computer and punching in the numbers which takes a bit more time than a phone app which might give me the same info on the fly. Not a bad way to go when pouring a quick 2 oz. drink or reducing a pint to 100 proof when preparing to share some whiskey with a friend.

I recently had a pour of MM in a bar the other evening. I hadn't had any in a few years. My taste must have drastically changed over the last few years because it was all I could do to finish the pour. It was just awful! I like the 46 well enough, but I think I've had my last regular MM.

I still consider myself a newbie, trying to find out what's what. Maker's is my North Star.

Every month I wander into a new store to buy something I haven't tried. Every now & then I lose my way & buy a bottle of Maker's to remind me what whiskey is supposed to taste like. There are others that I like just as much, some better... but the stores I visit don't always carry them. They always have Maker's.

I recently had a pour of MM in a bar the other evening. I hadn't had any in a few years. My taste must have drastically changed over the last few years because it was all I could do to finish the pour. It was just awful! I like the 46 well enough, but I think I've had my last regular MM.

Just to point out a possible reason that 'bar pour' didn't come up to snuff.... It may have been adulterated; or may not even MM. I know, Iknow. ..."Poured directly from the bottle; I saw it!" However, there are unscrupulous bar owners/tenders who cheat like the devil just to make extra cheddar off unsuspecting patrons. ...Just sayin'........:bigeyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.