What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Winter 2019-2020)

parksmart
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Figured since there are “What Are You.....Winter” threads going for everything else, might as well get the ball rolling for what bottle(s) we’ve passed on.

Contemplated Hancock’ Reserve for $55.99 for a split second, then decided I have more than enough Blanton’s to keep me occupied........

Currently passing on everything. I have enough bourbon to last me for a decade at least with no purchases in that time.

Oh who am I kidding, I'm just holding out for when the two Willett barrels I helped pick finally land. And the 1792 FP. And the Eagle Rare. And the future OF Barrel Proof that's coming this year. And the Russell's barrel I picked back in November. 

I really shouldn't have spelled that all out. That's more than I remember!

• I like it 7

18 minutes ago, flahute said:

Currently passing on everything. I have enough bourbon to last me for a decade at least with no purchases in that time.

Oh who am I kidding, I'm just holding out for when the two Willett barrels I helped pick finally land. And the 1792 FP. And the Eagle Rare. And the future OF Barrel Proof that's coming this year. And the Russell's barrel I picked back in November. 

So Steve, I’m guessing no New Years resolutions again this year?  ?    Sad, but I know the feeling. ?

Biba! Joe

Just now, fishnbowljoe said:

So Steve, I’m guessing no New Years resolutions again this year?  ?    Sad, but I know the feeling. ?

Biba! Joe

LOL! As in many years past I will try to abstain from any purchases in the month of January. As I recall, the longest I've ever made it is something like January 28th so I don't put much stock in my chances!

If any of the aforementioned barrels arrive, all resolutions are off!!

• I like it 1

Passed WLW for $1000, GTS for $800, and THH for $600. Didn't bother to ask how much the Pappiez were. They also had W12 for $200. When I said something about it being a $35 to $40 bottle she said...."We can't keep it in stock at $200." The sad thing is, she's right. 

• I like it 1

Spent Christmas in Oklahoma. "Tater" bottle prices were worse than back home in Texas.  Besides what's in the photo, not pictured is ER at $129 and BT at $79.

20191223_161934.jpg

13 hours ago, flahute said:

I keep telling myself the same thing, but I’m sure I’ll end up buying some. 

OF is Old Forester or Old Fitz?

53 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

I keep telling myself the same thing, but I’m sure I’ll end up buying some. 

OF is Old Forester or Old Fitz?

Haha! Yep - we all do so you're in good company.

OF is meant to be Old Forester, yes.

• I like it 1

I have absolutely no NEED for any more bourbon. I WANT to find a bottle of ETL which continues to take me into LS that have been places where I have sort of built a good relationship with the people. Inevitably, I start talking about ETL, they tell me they don't have it, and then go in back and bring out something hard to find and offer it to me at MSRP. I feel I can't say no, so I buy it. I have bought 5 bottles of Blanton's, (could have bought 7) 3 bottles of Col. EHT, 2 bottles of Eagle Rare, and 3 bottles of Buffalo Trace in the last month and a half. (Along with 20-25 bottles of assorted bourbons I wanted to HAVE!) Still haven't come close to a damn bottle of ETL! Still can't stop myself!

Where in Illinois are you? Here in northern Illinois, it doesn’t show up very often. Luckily, I was able to buy one at retail ($39.99) last February. Haven’t seen one around here since. 

Biba! Joe

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Where in Illinois are you? Here in northern Illinois, it doesn’t show up very often. Luckily, I was able to buy one at retail ($39.99) last February. Haven’t seen one around here since. 

Biba! Joe

Western Suburbs. But I have looked  in Ohio, Florida, Indiana too. I think when it comes in it tends to get grabbed up in a hurry. The employees might even buy it up if they are allowed. I won't pay online price, though I would pay a feasible markup, maybe $75-80 to try it. Sooner or later I'll find it.

Thought i hit the jackpot today. Found some 1.75s of DSP-KY-16 DN BIB
then I read where Luxco “forgot” to update the labels.  A brief moment of exhiliration.. anyway always enjoy the hunt. Cant wait to start having some pours again soon.

1 hour ago, AndyD said:

I know where that is!

And somehow you passed as well? That is a weird store in terms of what they’ve had on the shelf or in the case over the years, as well as how they price stuff. This for $800, and they recently had a couple PHCs at gouge prices ($300 for the Malt one, $400 for the 11 year from two years ago) but then they had last year’s PHC for $119

32 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

And somehow you passed as well? That is a weird store in terms of what they’ve had on the shelf or in the case over the years, as well as how they price stuff. This for $800, and they recently had a couple PHCs at gouge prices ($300 for the Malt one, $400 for the 11 year from two years ago) but then they had last year’s PHC for $119

Mgm correct ?  Are you part of any local FB scouting groups in MN?

On 12/31/2019 at 4:59 PM, yobber76 said:

Western Suburbs. But I have looked  in Ohio, Florida, Indiana too. I think when it comes in it tends to get grabbed up in a hurry. The employees might even buy it up if they are allowed. I won't pay online price, though I would pay a feasible markup, maybe $75-80 to try it. Sooner or later I'll find it.

Hey. you have the Blanton's.

ETL vs. Blanton's - same distillery and mash bill, about the same age and proof.

It just comes down to individual barrel selection.  They can be close, to indistinguishable.

It used to be, this ETL tastes like Blanton's, but half the price. ?

8 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Thought i hit the jackpot today. Found some 1.75s of DSP-KY-16 DN BIB
then I read where Luxco “forgot” to update the labels.  A brief moment of exhiliration.. anyway always enjoy the hunt. Cant wait to start having some pours again soon.

Those are most likely DSP 1 otherwise bottled as Old Fitz B.I.B. before it was discontinued.

If the price was reasonable, I would have bought at least one, maybe more.

6 hours ago, PaulO said:

Those are most likely DSP 1 otherwise bottled as Old Fitz B.I.B. before it was discontinued.

If the price was reasonable, I would have bought at least one, maybe more.

Paul. It did have DSPP 16and DSP 1. Actually mentioned OFitz on the back label. $24.99 for 1.75... 

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, PaulO said:

Hey. you have the Blanton's.

ETL vs. Blanton's - same distillery and mash bill, about the same age and proof.

It just comes down to individual barrel selection.  They can be close, to indistinguishable.

It used to be, this ETL tastes like Blanton's, but half the price. ?

Thanks I didn't know they were that similar. It is weird, but I can find Blanton's in off places, like Walgreen's or major grocery chains. ETL seems to be nowhere recently. Cheers.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:37 AM, Kepler said:

Spent Christmas in Oklahoma. "Tater" bottle prices were worse than back home in Texas.  Besides what's in the photo, not pictured is ER at $129 and BT at $79.

20191223_161934.jpg

Geez, and I passed on an OWA for $58.00.

20200103_083152.jpg

On 12/30/2019 at 9:21 PM, Clueby said:

Passed WLW for $1000, GTS for $800, and THH for $600. Didn't bother to ask how much the Pappiez were. They also had W12 for $200. When I said something about it being a $35 to $40 bottle she said...."We can't keep it in stock at $200." The sad thing is, she's right. 

sounds like you made the stops that I was at 2 weeks ago. Did they still have the cases of ECBP stacked high next to the checkout aisle? I do feel kinda dumb for passing up those Heaven Hill sample packs though that you posted about getting, but I was in a hurry to get back to work from taking a long lunch.

Vet's clinic is next door to a liquor store.  Cat is just fine, so after his checkup, we took a stroll through the store.  He loved it.  I passed on a Walking Dead KSBW for $39.  Never seen the show so had no reason to drink the whiskey.  OTOH, I did pick up a 375ml of Conor McGregor's Proper Twelve Irish Whiskey (Eire Born Spirits).  It's young and reportedly purchased from Bushmills (where Mr. McGregor used to be MD), BUT to me it (fortunately) lacks the slight oily feel and grassy note I find in basic Bushmills.  I won't give up Writer's Tears for it right now, but in a couple years, this could be a staple in my house.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.