What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Winter 2019-2020)

parksmart
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 1/3/2020 at 11:25 AM, Harry in WashDC said:

He loved it.  

???

Yeah, right.

Tell us another story Uncle Harry...

• I like it 1

I passed on everything I saw last night in NYC. Fun to see lots of good bottles on the shelf but gouge pricing as expected. $3K for a Michter’s 20? No thanks. Very good selection though and I’m sure it’ll all sell eventually. More money than sense out there

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I passed on everything I saw last night in NYC. Fun to see lots of good bottles on the shelf but gouge pricing as expected. $3K for a Michter’s 20? No thanks. Very good selection though and I’m sure it’ll all sell eventually. More money than sense out there

Your take on the prevalent mindset regarding those limited access, overpriced Bourbon options, and the folx who seem OK with paying exorbitant prices is spot on as far as I can tell from my little corner of the world as well, BiB.

Saying; "More money than sense out there", is a really nice way of stating your view.    My opinion runs more toward the 'Don't mind bending all the way over, spreading one's legs and grabbing one's ankles' vein.   The meaning, I think is about the same, though.

• I like it 2

On 1/2/2020 at 9:49 PM, PaulO said:

Hey. you have the Blanton's.

ETL vs. Blanton's - same distillery and mash bill, about the same age and proof.

It just comes down to individual barrel selection.  They can be close, to indistinguishable.

It used to be, this ETL tastes like Blanton's, but half the price. ?

Great point...people are paying $150 on secondary for ETL while Blanton's goes for a reasonable $90. $60 for 7 proof points. This is the state of bourbon.

32 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Great point...people are paying $150 on secondary for ETL while Blanton's goes for a reasonable $90. $60 for 7 proof points. This is the state of bourbon.

Blanton's is 93 proof.

ETL is 90.

10 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Blanton's is 93 proof.

ETL is 90.

Rookie mistake. Maybe I was thinking of the 100th ETL that is out. I believe it is 100 proof?

Or I was thinking of RHF @ 100 proof   Another BT product selling for ridiculous prices.

So Blanton's is 3 proof points higher and cheaper on secondary. Crazy.

Edited by Bbstout
  • I like it 1

Blanton's is also aged in the brick warehouse (H?). It does make a difference to the flavor.

6 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Blanton's is also aged in the brick warehouse (H?). It does make a difference to the flavor.

True

4 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I don't think I'd call $90 for Blanton's reasonable.

Exactly. I first joined SB around 15 years ago (I had a different username) I used to pass it on the shelves for 45 as it was overpriced and not generally recomended by SB'ers due to the price point. Thank God for for the knowledge I have received over the years from SB members.

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

10 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

True

Warehouse H is steel clad (like a farmers shed, or quonset hut)  and arguably a hotter environment.

Most Blanton's barrels now (store pick barrels and barrel's I've seen waiting to be dumped in the Blanton's bottling hall) are 6-7 years old.

Rock Hill farms is (according to several people I've talked to at BT about it) usually 9 years minimum and comes from the cooler stone/brick warehouses.

Elmer and Hancock's I have no knowledge about.

Rock Hill Farms has always been my favorite of the 4 consistently, but every now and then I get a really great bottle of Blanton's.

Price for value, I agree that I'll just drink whichever one is priced the most reasonable based upon availability, and that's usually the Blanton's around here.

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Warehouse H is steel clad (like a farmers shed, or quonset hut)  and arguably a hotter environment.

Most Blanton's barrels now (store pick barrels and barrel's I've seen waiting to be dumped in the Blanton's bottling hall) are 6-7 years old.

Rock Hill farms is (according to several people I've talked to at BT about it) usually 9 years minimum and comes from the cooler stone/brick warehouses.

Elmer and Hancock's I have no knowledge about.

Rock Hill Farms has always been my favorite of the 4 consistently, but every now and then I get a really great bottle of Blanton's.

Price for value, I agree that I'll just drink whichever one is priced the most reasonable based upon availability, and that's usually the Blanton's around here.

Like I said, alot of knowledge on this forum.

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

Corrugated metal, IIRC from my BT tours - the only (?!?) one on the distillery grounds.  Wider variations in temperature swings than brick, concrete, wood siding = more interaction of the distillate in the barrel with the wood staves/tops of the barrels than the other warehouses. Thus the abundance of "honey barrels" that fellow KY Col. Blanton so loved from that warehouse."H".  That's my story from Freddie and I'm stickin' to it!   ?

Blanton's usually shows up in 3 case bunches once a month in Beantown and sells for $57.99 OTD at a local "packy" (package store).  They last about a day and a half on the shelves.  Loch & K(e)y barrel picks are a little more expensive but more (and better, IMHO)  bottles available when they are released.  But then, there are always deliveries of Blanton's Gold and SFTB from Bermuda and the UK, too.   ?

Blanton's Stash.jpg

Yeah, yeah - old pic.  But I have more!   ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

Passed on Old Fitz 15 at $400, Cream of Kentucky Single Barrel at $300, and CoK 12.3 at $200. I know of a couple CoK bottles at $150 but haven't seen enough positive reviews to pull the trigger. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.