Turning 50 in two weeks: any special bottle recommendations?

WhiskeyBlender
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey All, 

So, I turn the big 5-0 in a two weeks, and I'm wanting to get a "gift to self" special Bourbon. I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, since as many on here know on here, I work in the industry. However, I'm probably not as up on some of the most interesting Bourbons out there as many of you are. Although I get to taste and work with a lot of cool things, they are almost always cask samples, so it isn't that often that I actually buy finished Bourbon products. 

Generally, I tend to prefer Bourbons that have rye rather than wheat as the small grain. Also, just so you know where my tastes tend to go, I love GTS, and even WLW although wheat is the small grain, but that's really hard for me to find around here anymore. I'm also a big Turkey fan. I'm open to other things of course, but quite frankly I just haven't been tasting a lot of new products lately, so I don't really know what everyone is finding to be interesting. 

Price isn't so much an issue (let's say under $1500,), but quality and quaffability most certainly ARE paramount. 

Any recommendations out there? 

Cheers, and many thanks!

Nancy

If your a Turkey fan and with your connections perhaps you could get some special bottling of dusty Turkey or some of the older National Distillers Taylor or Old Grand Dad in trade? I figured others would be more helpful in new bottle recommendations but wanted to throw this out as an option as it’s not probably the route you where thinking.

Another thought with your love of French Brandy some 50+ year old Cognac, Armagnac or Calvados. Also not bourbon but hey with your price point it would be cool to drink something older than you. Or something with a 1970 barrel date?

Look forward to the suggestions that come in.

For $1500, go to KY and take some tours.  Hit the gift shops and liquor stores.

HH seems to routinely have unique or interesting items in the gift shop.

I never really recommend unicorns.  A great find for me, a couple months ago, was Early Times B.I.B.

• I like it 1

Of course with most of the stuff we all like for higher end bottles, availability becomes a problem. If you haven’t had it and you have any chance of finding one, I think the Four Roses limited small batch is the best American whiskey I’ve had this year. I would personally take another bottle of this over any Stagg since the 2014 or this year’s WLW.

If you like Turkey and want to seek out something that may still be available on a few shelves in your area, I’m a big fan of the Master’s Keep Decades. That is my favorite in the WTMK series personally. In my area, a few places still have them sitting around for ~$150 so it’s nice that it is delicious and still attainable.

Have a great birthday 

• I like it 1

I will just throw this out there.   Haven’t tried it but Belle Meade has done a couple interesting finished bourbons. The Honey Cask is raved about by those that were lucky enough to get  a bottle.  Might not be special enough for such a big occasion though. 
https://www.breakingbourbon.com/tnt/belle-meade-bourbon-honey-cask-finish-2019

They also did one in Spanish Brandy Casks from  World War 2 era . 

Happy 50th!

Edited by FasterHorses

I think you should make an appointment at your favorite distillery and do your own 50th anniversary barrel pick with a few of your reliably-palated friends.

Put away a few cases and celebrate your 50th for the next decade, until the Diamond pick.

• I like it 4

13 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I think you should make an appointment at your favorite distillery and do your own 50th anniversary barrel pick with a few of your reliably-palated friends.

Put away a few cases and celebrate your 50th for the next decade, until the Diamond pick.

IN.

• I like it 3

Been hearing great things about this year's Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch and even at marked up prices you should be able to find that for way under your budget line.

As you probably know, any high priced bourbon (apart from a marked up BTAC or PVW) that is actually on a shelf is probably not worth the price.

That said, your budget leaves a lot of room for a marked up BTAC/PVW or certain bourbons available on secondary.

If you can find a 2014 GTS - it's one of the best I've had.

If you can find this year's 4RLESmB, it's fantastic. Also, 2015 and 2017 are great.

For what might be on the shelf - Kentucky Owl Batch 9. I was recently gifted Batch 8 and think it's great. I hear 9 is better. Whoever blends that has a good palate. Would I pay the going price for it? No.

But for a special occasion such as the big 5-0 I could justify it if you can't find any of the above.

Since you like Turkey you would probably like either Master's Keep 17yr or Master's Keep Decades. These are still out there at some Total Wines or other stores. If not local, do a google search to see if any are still out there.

Nancy happy birthday!

I'm also a big Turkey fan. My favorite expression is the 12 yr/101 which of course isn't available anymore. But if you can get your hands on one I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I've never tasted a 4R SmB LE that I didn't like, and although I haven't tasted the new 2019 edition yet, I echo the others here, in that I've heard great things.

I also love GTS and if you can't find that, word on the street is that a recent Stagg Jr batch (batch #12, 132.3 proof) rivals GTS this year.

Edited by Kepler

Happy Birthday!  I’m not sure If you you’ve had Four Roses Al Young 50th Anniversary, but I think that would be perfect:) It is an awesome, delicate, flavorful dram that would definitely be enjoyed. Cheers!

As several others have already suggested, the WT Master’s Keep Decades would be very appropriate for a 50th birthday. I gave my brother in law a bottle for his 50th, and added a gold “5” in front of “Decades” on the box. It’s still available if you look around. It’s a great bourbon in one of the most beautiful bottles and packages you’ll find outside of the fancy cognac and scotch realms.

Two choices.  Black Tot has excellent suggestion, or look to Squire's philosophy and spend the $$ and get all the mid-shelf & upper shelf readily available products and start a massive taste testing

• I like it 2

I was thinking Jim Beam Distiller's Cut was a surprisingly nice pour.

Maybe some still on the shelf off the beaten path.

@WhiskeyBlender Nancy, I was going to suggest a vintage bottle of Armagnac from your birth year, but then I saw who wrote the post!

If you don't mind paying quite a lot over retail for it, perhaps Four Roses Al Young? High rye, reportedly exceptional, and it's a 50th anniversary bottling to boot. Failing that, perhaps the latest Four Roses SBLE.

Edited by EarthQuake

Four Roses Al Young

George T Stagg

Dusty Turkey

Those would be my choices if we’re sticking to bourbon. An older Ardbeg would be fantastic if you’re into scotch.

Happy fiftieth,  @WhiskeyBlender!

I can't recommend any $1,500 pours since I've never had one!    Of things I've tried,   I'd most definitely recommend Little Book Chapter 3.    While you're not a fan of wheaters,  another great whiskey I tried this year is McKenzie's BIB bourbon.   

There are some interesting craft whiskeys coming out of New York State.    Besides McKenzie's (they make a good straight rye, too),  I've tasted good bourbon from Black Dirt Distilling and Tuthilltown Distilling,  and good straight ryes from several others (e.g., Ragtime Rye and Southern Tier).    Assuming you've been around the block in Kentucky,  it might be fun to do a tour of the Hudson Valley or Finger Lakes region and the nearby distillers who make "Empire Rye" and other brown spirits.     It's a lovely area of the country and I think has the makings of a fun time.   And you could also spend a day at the Baseball Hall of Fame! 

[url=https://www.distillerytrail.com/directory-distillery/locations/new-york/] New York Distillery Trail Map [/url]

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 2

Nancy, I've sure enjoyed your insightful posts on this board. You are full of great information, and your understanding of the craft of whiskey is truly amazing. I don't think I could possibly recommend anything to you. From your posts it seems you have a taste for bold whiskey with a finishing touch of something special. Here's an idea...more for us on the board than you. What could you blend from some of the easy staples on the shelf. If you were to go to the "corner store" and buy 5 bottles, each representing the best of the different houses ie. WT 101, Weller SR, Old Grandad BIB, Elijah Craig, and OF or Jack, and sit down with your beakers and start playing around I'd bet you could concoct a new 2020 SB blend for the ages! What might you add for that distinctive special finish? Maybe something to play with after you celebrate your special 5 0 day. :) 

• I like it 2

37 minutes ago, 0895 said:

what if you got the new Elmer T Lee 100y  and just drank half of it?

?

Best quote of the year, IMHO!

• I like it 1

If you like Wild Turkey I thought the Russels Reserve 1998 special release was an excellent bottle and it this point it might well cost you $1000+!

The Bookers 13yo Rye was also quite good and unusual but likely super pricey now as well (it was already $300 when it was released). I heard the Bookers 30th Anniversary bourbon was excellent but never got to try one for myself.

i have always wanted to try the original Beam Distillers Masterpiece bottlings from back in the late 90’s but no idea if you could even find one these days. One was 18yo cognac finished bourbon and the other was a 20yo port finished bourbon. Both came in very attractive bottles as I recall. One of the first attempts at high end (they were $250 or so at retail in 1999!) as well as some of the first specialty finished bourbons. They are a couple of my ultimate white whales! But I am no longer likely willing to spend what they would likely cost even if I could find it. Although never say never I suppose...

The Al Young bottle is a good thought.

And of course I would fully support the suggestion Paul/Black tot made for doing your own barrel if you get something interesting to pick! That might be a touch more than $1500 but you could buy as many as you could get for that much money and no doubt there are volunteers here who could help by the rest!

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 1

I'll second the Little Book #3 Probably available at around 100$ and really a very tasty pour. No need to go much further, tho the 4R Al Young would be cool if I could just find one...

57 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If you like Wild Turkey I thought the Russels Reserve 1998 special release was an excellent bottle and it this point it might well cost you $1000+!

This is an excellent idea. That is fantastic whiskey.

Nancy not bourbon but I know you’re a fan.

IMG_8691.jpg

The store owner that has these said they bought this stock of Germain Robin before they where bought out by Gallo. Gallo sent a rep and tried to buy it back but they said it’s not for sell. I’m sure if you called them they might sell you a bottle. They have a 30 year old and some other crazy ones, sorry I didn’t take a better photo. I think it would blow your entire budget to buy some of this but you only turn 50 once.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.