Turning 50 in two weeks: any special bottle recommendations?

WhiskeyBlender
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

And of course I would fully support the suggestion Paul/Black tot made for doing your own barrel if you get something interesting to pick! That might be a touch more than $1500 but you could buy as many as you could get for that much money and no doubt there are volunteers here who could help by the rest!

I think you could get some heavy investment up front, Nancy. You would definitely get enough takers who would enjoy toasting your 50th around the world.

You could definitely invest less than a grand on this and come away with cases of your own semi-centennial tipple.

For your birthday, I'd be willing to handle the business end and keep the spreadsheets.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Galvin0791 said:

Best quote of the year, IMHO!

Really Mike?  That being said, I do agree it’s a good un. ;)

As to the topic at hand, I honestly believe there isn’t anything truly different and interesting that I could recommend to Nancy for her upcoming birthday. I considered my 2018 Weller Blend, but she’s already had that. ^_^  Cheers, and a very Happy 50th Nancy! 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Curious to what bourbons you have not tried to help eliminate the field.  

I must say when me and the wife visited DC last year I made sure we went to the Murray Hill Club so I could get to try Cigar Blend. 

Excellent juice and worthy of any 50th!

Oh yeah that's your Blend ;)

My two cents is try some Woodford Double Double Oaked, one of my favorits and it's just getting released again this month.  

• I like it 1

Hey Gents, 

Sorry I've been off-line for a bit. I've been down with some nasty bug that seems to come and go and is going on two weeks now, so I've been laying low. 

In the final analysis, I took @HoustonNit 's and @EarthQuake's advice and decided to also go the French Brandy direction in addition to the Bourbon. I found a fantastic deal on two bottles of Veuve J. Goudoulin Armagnac: the first one was distilled in 1932 and was bottled in 2015, and the second one was distilled in 1940 and was bottled in 2010 (they spent time in demijohns, i.e., glass carboys, and about 60 years each in oak).

This used up my entire allotted birthday spirits budget, so I'm now adding an extra $500 +/- towards the birthday Bourbons. For the Bourbon portion of my b-day gift-to-self, I'm thinking of taking up @FacePlant's suggestion of doing a bourbon blend for the ages! I'm hoping to be able to go scouting for bottles in the next day or two, but I'm depending upon what I can find, I'd like to see if I can get the 4R Al Young 50ieth, Elijah Craig, WT Master's Keep Decades, and maybe one or two more, and then see where I am at my budget at that point. I'll get my graduated cylinders and pipettes out and do a little R&D prototyping with a little bit from each bottle, and save the rest of the liquid in the bottles as is to enjoy. I have a fair amount of 13 to 20 year old MGP barrel samples around the house, so if I think that might add to the blend, then I'll probably add a little bit of that as well. 

Once the Armagnac bottles arrive and once I have the birthday Bourbons figured out and purchased, I'll post a photo of my loot! I'll also keep you posted on what I decide to do for the special birthday blend. 

I sincerely appreciate everyone's suggestions. I really like the idea of doing a barrel pick, but in the interest of time, that isn't an option. Heck, maybe I'll do that later in the year? ? 

Cheers Fellas, and many thanks as always,

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 11

17 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

I sincerely appreciate everyone's suggestions. I really like the idea of doing a barrel pick, but in the interest of time, that isn't an option. Heck, maybe I'll do that later in the year? ? 

We're there for ya when you do! Ya got ten years to get it done.

Super keen on the birthday blend idea, too. You could become the next LeNell !

• I like it 2

I’m definitely interested in this blend Nancy, please keep us posted. Also who do I gotta kill to get a sample?

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I’m definitely interested in this blend Nancy, please keep us posted. Also who do I gotta kill to get a sample?

That's exactly what I was thinking!

8 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

That's exactly what I was thinking!

This is the question we all have.

• I like it 1

Alright, so the damage is now done. I deeply appreciate all the sage advice and feedback I've gotten so far, as well as the warm birthday wishes. There is a wealth of experience and insight on this forum, which I always enjoy and learn from. However, I have gone beyond my birthday spirits budget, so I guess I won't be buying anything else any time very soon! ?

I've posted a photo of the line-up, but at any rate, it goes like this: a 1932 vintage of Veuve J. Goudoulin Bas-Armagnac, bottled in 2011; a 1940 vintage of Veuve J. Goudoulin Bas Armagnac bottled in 2010 (I got the bottling dates wrong yesterday); the just released Old Fitzgerald 15 year old at 100 proof; and an Elijah Craig barrel proof from batch #C918, clocking in at a respectable 131.4. While I'm not usually a fan of wheat as the small grain, I just couldn't help myself on this one. I've been reading about it and it has really peaked my curiosity. They hadn't even put it out on the shelf yet at my local! 

For my "Birthday Blend," I've decided to just add to my Infinity Bottle, which I made up a couple years ago, and then put in a remote corner of my basement. I had completely forgotten completely about it until last night. To date, that blend builds on batch #7 of my Cigar Blend from 2017 (ages 11 to 19 years), with a healthy amount of 2011 WLW,  a 25 y.o. Willett Rye, a 2010 GTS, a 21 y.o. Vintage Rye, and some 13 year old MGP barrel samples I had laying around the house. It also has a few drops from my very oldest spirits from the 1800's, which include the lab sample I keep of the original Jos. Magnus bourbon from 1892, a Sherwood Distillery Rye from Pikesville, MD from 1886, and a vintage Domaine de Baraillon Bas Armagnac from 1893. To this, I also added a little bit of a 56 y.o. Darroze 1962 Chateau de Gaube Bas-Armagnac. The point in adding the Armagnac was to do just enough below the sensory threshold so that it gives the blend more depth and overall length on the palate, although the presence of the Armagnac flavor-wise should not be perceptible and isn't meant to "flavor" the Bourbon itself. If anything, I added these old vintage Armagnacs precisely because they are so "bourbonesque." 

When I have some time to play around this weekend with the Infinity Bottle, I will probably add a fair amount from the 20 yr. MGP barrel samples. I'll see if the Old Fitz 15 yr. is a good fit for the blend as well, which I suspect it will. I might possibly also add a hint from the 1932 Armagnac, which is VERY Bourbon-y and rich, just to drastically increase the overall depth and length on the palate. As much as I love the 20 y.o. MGP barrel samples I have around the house, they taste kind of weak and thin compared to the intense and thick fattiness of these old Armagnacs. Heck, everything tastes weak and thin compared to that! LOL That's not saying the MGP 20 is truly "thin" in any way, but only that they can't compete with grape brandy (grapes have a lot of fat, especially if they're distilled "sur lie," or on the lees; i.e., dead yeast particles) that were distilled around 104 proof and that are over 80 years old. 

At any rate, I'll update on what I do to the blend. I'm very excited to get this Infinity Blend going again!

Cheers, 
Nancy

IMG_3361 (1).jpg

IMG_3363 (1).jpg

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 17

This reminds me, I recently watched Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory with my son. ?

Happy Birthday Nancy

• I like it 1

26 minutes ago, PaulO said:

This reminds me, I recently watched Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory with my son. ?

Happy Birthday Nancy

Wow, I remember that! ?That's the version with Gene Wilder, right? 

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

To date, that blend builds on batch #7 of my Cigar Blend from 2017 (ages 11 to 19 years), with a healthy amount of 2011 WLW,  a 25 y.o. Willett Rye, a 2010 GTS, a 21 y.o. Vintage Rye, and some 13 year old MGP barrel samples I had laying around the house. It also has a few drops from my very oldest spirits from the 1800's, which include the lab sample I keep of the original Jos. Magnus bourbon from 1892, a Sherwood Distillery Rye from Pikesville, MD from 1886, and a vintage Domaine de Baraillon Bas Armagnac from 1893. To this, I also added a little bit of a 56 y.o. Darroze 1962 Chateau de Gaube Bas-Armagnac. 

Holy sheet.. can this be a Magnus release? 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Holy sheet.. can this be a Magnus release? 

OMG, @mal00768, I wish it could be! Actually, I added a couple of drops of bourbon from my lab sample of the 1892 Magnus into the batch #1 of Cigar Blend as sort of a way to christen it and wish it good luck. If you can find one of those bottles, it might have a few molecules of the old juice! ?

• I like it 1

While I don't have anything direct to contribute as it looks like it's all well taken care of. I just want to say I'm really enjoying this thread! Also happy 50th!

• I like it 2

@WhiskeyBlender Nancy, that blend sounds awesome. I started a 10+ year old bourbon blend a month or so ago, it has 1oz of a number of bottles in the 10-25 year range, mostly bourbon. You've really got me excited to add a bit of Armagnac to blend now! I don't think I have much over 30 years here but I'm sure it won't hurt. ?

Happy birthday as well!

• I like it 1

@EarthQuake, wow, that sounds like an amazing blend as well if you're using components 10 to 25 years old already! 

Yes, you should definitely try adding a little Armagnac to the blend, even if it's "only" 30 or so years old. ?

A word of friendly advice if you decide to add it: make sure you don't use an Armagnac that's too "perfumy," if that makes sense. Thus, a vintage Armagnac that's made from Baco or Colombard will pair well with Bourbon. This will more than likely be some sort of Bas Armagnac rather than one from the Tenareze. 

If you want to maintain the Bourbon character, then you'll probably want to add no more than 25 to 50 mL to a 700 mL blend. The more intense the component, the less you'll want to add. What you are aiming for is to keep the Armagnac below the sensory threshold while giving more depth and length to the blend overall. After all, it's hard to affordably get ahold of 20 to 30 year old Bourbon, and even at that age, Bourbon does't always hold up the way a brandy can. Therefore, the vintage Armagnac is a lot more affordable at those ages, usually tastes a lot better than an old Bourbon, and can help do the trick to the blend. 

Please let me know where you decide to take your home blend. I'd really like to know how it's coming along and what you're doing with it. 

Enjoy!

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 1

12 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@EarthQuake, wow, that sounds like an amazing blend as well if you're using components 10 to 25 years old already! 

Yes, you should definitely try adding a little Armagnac to the blend, even if it's "only" 30 or so years old. ?

A word of friendly advice if you decide to add it: make sure you don't use an Armagnac that's too "perfumy," if that makes sense. Thus, a vintage Armagnac that's made from Baco or Colombard will pair well with Bourbon. This will more than likely be some sort of Bas Armagnac rather than one from the Tenareze. 

If you want to maintain the Bourbon character, then you'll probably want to add no more than 25 to 50 mL to a 700 mL blend. The more intense the component, the less you'll want to add. What you are aiming for is to keep the Armagnac below the sensory threshold while giving more depth and length to the blend overall. After all, it's hard to affordably get ahold of 20 to 30 year old Bourbon, and even at that age, Bourbon does't always hold up the way a brandy can. Therefore, the vintage Armagnac is a lot more affordable at those ages, usually tastes a lot better than an old Bourbon, and can help do the trick to the blend. 

Please let me know where you decide to take your home blend. I'd really like to know how it's coming along and what you're doing with it. 

Enjoy!

Nancy

I've been trying to do a proper infinity bottle with this one, where I add new stuff as I get it and actually drink it! I've done a few more controlled blends before but usually what happens is I make the blend and then sort of forget about it. Keeping this topped up has become an activity in itself. My only real rule is 10+ years old. It has mostly bourbon, but a a couple oz of rye and a little bit of light whiskey. And some Armagnac now too. The 10+ year old rule is testing, it keeps me from adding Four Roses barrel picks which is a bit of a shame. I'll probably crack and throw some more FR in at some point. I've got a couple Irish whiskies I've considered (16 year old Redbrest All Sherry?) but I don't want to mess up the profile too much by going to Ireland/Scotland. I feel like France is closer to home in an odd way here.

I just added 1oz of the following: Darroze Barigos 1988, Darroze Rieston 1995, and Darroze Couzard Lassalle 1996. I think the first two are Baco and the third Folle Blanche. 3oz (in a bottle that was already half empty) is probably a lot more than you would do but I was feeling adventurous. I had a small pour last night and it didn't seem to kill it, but I'll give it a bit more time to mingle before trying again. Worst case I can blend in more bourbon to sort it out. Generally I find Armagnac goes well with American whiskey. I like to make Sazeracs with 1oz Armagnac and 1oz rye (as a nod to Brandy being the original base for the drink and because it's delicious.

I've been keeping a spreadsheet of everything I add, which allows me to track average age and average proof (as it goes in at least). I'm at 15 years at 107 proof at the moment.

When you make blends at home how scientific do you get? Are you measuring down to the ML or are you winging it?

Oh one other question. I've been reading a little about L'Encantada and Lous Pibous bottlings. People seem to be very excited about these. But it looks like it's sourced from Couzard Lassalle, which I can find from Darroze at about half the price. Are the Lous Pibous bottlings worth seeking out?

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

7 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

When you make blends at home how scientific do you get? Are you measuring down to the ML or are you winging it?

Nancy will tell you.  But then she’ll have to kill you.

?

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.