Jump to content
smokinjoe

Cocktail Hour - 2020

Recommended Posts

TwoFingers

After eyeing smokinjoe's Negroni's I had to mix one up for myself.  Very nice but I do sort of wish I had some of his blood oranges.  Those looked really good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaulO

I'm working on finishing some long opened bottles in the cabinet.  What's one to do with BT white dog #1 after the first novelty taste.  Mix it with lemonade and don't spare the ice.

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895

Pikesville Manhattan.

Damn!

why have I not done this before?

Ive been missing out.

 

010CC30A-BDEB-48CD-8CE2-77E2A4515B21.jpeg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie

Mixture of an old fashioned and a Manhattan. Home happy hour is off to a nice start

20200403_170931.jpg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895
On 4/3/2020 at 5:13 PM, JCwhammie said:

Mixture of an old fashioned and a Manhattan. Home happy hour is off to a nice start

20200403_170931.jpg

How does this work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie
10 minutes ago, 0895 said:

How does this work?

I enjoyed it...a lot. I'm a big fan of Heering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895
3 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I enjoyed it...a lot. I'm a big fan of Heering. 

What I meant was, I need the recipe... 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie
6 hours ago, 0895 said:

What I meant was, I need the recipe... 🙂

Oops, my bad!

2oz bourbon or rye

3/4oz Heering

4 or so dashes bitters

I have a bar spoon that I used for 2 spoons of simple syrup

1 drop of orange essential oil (the wife is an oily)

 

The simple syrup I make is typical has a little brown sugar added. I prefer it over the basic stuff. 

All this time at home has me wanting to add a few bitters flavors to my bar. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Oops, my bad!

2oz bourbon or rye

3/4oz Heering

4 or so dashes bitters

I have a bar spoon that I used for 2 spoons of simple syrup

1 drop of orange essential oil (the wife is an oily)

 

The simple syrup I make is typical has a little brown sugar added. I prefer it over the basic stuff. 

All this time at home has me wanting to add a few bitters flavors to my bar. 

Drifting towards a favorite of mine, lack of Campari being a major difference, that has shown up in past sampler cocktail menus. Alas, not this year it would seem.

 

The Arbitrary Nature of Time
 

1 1/4 oz Wild Turkey 101 Rye
1 oz Campari
3/4 oz Cherry Heering
1 ds Regans' orange bitters
2 ds Bittermens Xocolatl Mole
1 twst Orange peel (as garnish)

Stir, strain, rock, twist.

 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
31 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Drifting towards a favorite of mine, lack of Campari being a major difference, that has shown up in past sampler cocktail menus. Alas, not this year it would seem.

 

The Arbitrary Nature of Time
 

1 1/4 oz Wild Turkey 101 Rye
1 oz Campari
3/4 oz Cherry Heering
1 ds Regans' orange bitters
2 ds Bittermens Xocolatl Mole
1 twst Orange peel (as garnish)

Stir, strain, rock, twist.

 

I'm pretty sure you were making this one the one year I was at Sampler and I recall it being fantastic.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie
1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Drifting towards a favorite of mine, lack of Campari being a major difference, that has shown up in past sampler cocktail menus. Alas, not this year it would seem.

 

The Arbitrary Nature of Time
 

1 1/4 oz Wild Turkey 101 Rye
1 oz Campari
3/4 oz Cherry Heering
1 ds Regans' orange bitters
2 ds Bittermens Xocolatl Mole
1 twst Orange peel (as garnish)

Stir, strain, rock, twist.

 

Campari is on my list next time I make a run to the store. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Looooooong week for only 4 days.  The Cocktail Hour brings a Boulevardier to the table, while soaking up a bit of Sun at the end of this day.  

FCA5D1E1-6659-4C22-BC11-041D0697DEDA.jpeg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ratcheer

So, I'm doing a 6-hour BBQ cook today, and I decided to have a cocktail while I'm waiting.

 

Manhattan cocktail: 2 oz Old Forester 100, 3/4 oz Noilly Prat Rouge, 6 shakes Angostura. It was good, and I feel good.

 

I'm still waiting on the BBQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scratchline
Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2020 at 11:10 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Drifting towards a favorite of mine, lack of Campari being a major difference, that has shown up in past sampler cocktail menus. Alas, not this year it would seem.

 

The Arbitrary Nature of Time
 

1 1/4 oz Wild Turkey 101 Rye
1 oz Campari
3/4 oz Cherry Heering
1 ds Regans' orange bitters
2 ds Bittermens Xocolatl Mole
1 twst Orange peel (as garnish)

Stir, strain, rock, twist.

 

McGyvering this one.  OF rye, Spinto instead of Campari, Fee Bros orange bitters, Abbots instead of mole bitters, no orange for a twist.  Still damn good!

 

Happy Easter!

 

Jenny just pointed out that the Spinto is appropriate for the holiday.  As usual, she's right.

 

bitter-spinto-2-glep-beverages-piedmont-delights.jpg.152030e6d0646de75f73f090681ce947.jpg

 

-Mike

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GaryT

Suffering from a case of the "Mondays", and decided an ECBP Old Fashioned was what the doctor ordered.

 

IMG_20200413_173247b.thumb.jpg.fad1785172499cfa4306e870783b0b29.jpg

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GaryT

I'm not ashamed to admit when I'm wrong . . .

 

That wasn't a proper cure for the Mondays.

 

So - trying a Manhattan with some KCSB Rye.  And lowering the bar of a cure to mere survival ;) 

 

IMG_20200413_192759b.thumb.jpg.8e33ad57268a87e391fc1fe30e8dcdd3.jpg

 

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bret Bret

Been making this for years and enjoy it every time.  It's a layered, unmixed, cocktail.

Start with a rocks glass of small ice cubes.  Add several shakes of chocolate bitters. Pour 2 parts BIB bourbon (currently Early Times or EH Taylor SB). Very gently pour 1 part Drambuie.  Very gently pour 1 part sweet vermouth. Garnished with 1 cherry and 1 piece candied orange rind on a tooth pick. Sip slowly to minimize mixing and enjoy every layer.  By the time you are almost finished, you will be making a second one.

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

I done good today, so mixed up this Manhattan as a reward over my normal straight pour.  KC Rye is a really nice cocktail mixer.  

1456E9DC-9A08-41D3-BA5D-F4A47E5DE1E1.jpeg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie

A boulevardia while watching a live stream of Whitey Morgan playing Waylon Jennjngs songs. Perfect saturday evening. 

20200425_201152.jpg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ratcheer

Yesterday, after a strenuous project of cleaning some lawn chairs that had been out all winter, I wanted a drink. I improvised. I mixed about 1/2 oz Bird Dog Blackberry flavored whiskey with a shot of Old Forester 100, on the rocks. It was very nice, kind of like an Old Fashioned Cocktail with no trouble at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soberiquet

I am not much for cocktails, but I do enjoy Sazeracs. Seeing as I had a bottle of HW Double Rye that I haven't loved and has been open 3ish years, I decided to make Sazeracs all week. I played around a bit and settled on my preferences. I like the drink with 1tsp (maybe a bit less) sugar, 2-3 dashes of angostura bitters, 2 oz of rye, the typical Absinthe rinse, and a twist of lemon expressed over it, then wiped around the rim, and tossed out. I found leaving the lemon in the drink made the citrus too strong, but sorely wanted if omitted altogether. I was surprised to find that I did not care for Peychauds bitters, whether used solo or with the Angostura. I also tried a split base with half cognac and half rye, it was terrible - tasted like floor cleaner. Anyways, it has been fun, and has increased my enjoyment of the drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bret Bret
40 minutes ago, Soberiquet said:

I am not much for cocktails, but I do enjoy Sazeracs. Seeing as I had a bottle of HW Double Rye that I haven't loved and has been open 3ish years, I decided to make Sazeracs all week. I played around a bit and settled on my preferences. I like the drink with 1tsp (maybe a bit less) sugar, 2-3 dashes of angostura bitters, 2 oz of rye, the typical Absinthe rinse, and a twist of lemon expressed over it, then wiped around the rim, and tossed out. I found leaving the lemon in the drink made the citrus too strong, but sorely wanted if omitted altogether. I was surprised to find that I did not care for Peychauds bitters, whether used solo or with the Angostura. I also tried a split base with half cognac and half rye, it was terrible - tasted like floor cleaner. Anyways, it has been fun, and has increased my enjoyment of the drink.

Your trial and error benefits all of us.  Thank you.  I look forward to your insight on other concoctions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soberiquet
13 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Your trial and error benefits all of us

Thanks, I also wanted to try swapping maple syrup for the sugar, but my bottle of rye ran dry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

No ponies today, but the Blue Angels are supposed to be buzzing over in a few minutes.  So I have something fast to watch with my MintJulep.

26D787D0-961E-4230-A0ED-114BF91D27BA.jpeg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Darn.  I only heard them, but luckily my buddy was more in the flight path.

 

 OK, they sounded fast...  😁

F4E2871E-A983-44BB-BA95-C869F5964058.jpeg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.