Will Saos be able to capture their former glory

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

27 CFR 5.22(b)(1)(iii):

“straight whiskey includes mixtures of straight whiskies of the same type produced in the same State.“

5.22(b)(5) covers a blend of straight whiskies.

• I like it 1

On 2/20/2020 at 8:30 AM, OldScoutGuy said:

I think this article proposes some interesting light on the MGP discussion:

https://www.bourbonplus.com/is-there-pre-fire-mgp/

Early Smooth Ambler Seagrams / MGP barrels were simply amazing. The 8 to 10 year cask strength bottles they put out are some of best bourbons you'll ever taste. I don't the factors that made it different, but it was heads and tails better than other MGP offerings from other companies. I've tasted the first batch of Old Scout (5 year) a couple of times. I've tasted this new 5 Year Old Scout. I can't even put into words how vastly inferior the new stuff is. I think early Old Scout was lightning in bottle that likely can not be reproduced. And I have to wonder if post Seagrams MPG is really the same?

The fall of 06 run that LDI laid down was epic. 

My group selected a 5 yr saos MgP barrel last month was fine. Better than some new riff I’ve had but not even close to 7/99 saos. I liked the barrel but it needed more time. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

The fall of 06 run that LDI laid down was epic. 

My group selected a 5 yr saos MgP barrel last month was fine. Better than some new riff I’ve had but not even close to 7/99 saos. I liked the barrel but it needed more time. 

New Riff seems really blown out of proportion to me.  I have a SiB and a BiB and I'm really not impressed with either of them.  I taste it and I'm like...."Yep, that's bourbon."  That's about the nicest thing I can think to say about it.  There's nothing off-putting, but there's also nothing special about it.  Now, perhaps my barrel is a dud, but the BiB also isn't special.

• I like it 1

I seem to recall that MGP has several different bourbon mash bills.  In the past, SA purchased not all barrels the same mash bill from MGP.  Then we have the issue of aging.  How long was a barrel aged in IN vs. how long in WV?  Also consider with aging some barrels will have a tendency to become either honey barrels, or duds.  All together it's not so simple.  I feel like SA will end up with some portion of the barrels they age appealing to fans.  I suggest trying a sample if a store buys a barrel.  If SA has some nice barrels in the future, I hope they don't go all Willett on us.

• I like it 1

On 2/26/2020 at 2:16 PM, Shizzy said:

New Riff seems really blown out of proportion to me.  I have a SiB and a BiB and I'm really not impressed with either of them.  I taste it and I'm like...."Yep, that's bourbon."  That's about the nicest thing I can think to say about it.  There's nothing off-putting, but there's also nothing special about it.  Now, perhaps my barrel is a dud, but the BiB also isn't special.

A little more thread drift here but I hear you on New Riff. I’ve tasted their stuff several times and I’ve thought it was all totally decent, but nothing I feel the need to keep going back to. I think part of the reason that they get mentioned in a positive light around here is that they are one of the few “craft”/start ups that are actually making their own juice that is worth trying now and may actually have a viable future. Since the vast majority of “craft” is either shady NDP with BS marketing stories or it’s their own juice and it sucks but they still try to charge $50 or more for it telling everyone to “support local” and whatnot. Even the bigger names that started selling their own juice often suck and they’re living off their old reputations now (I’m talking to you High West, and Smooth Ambler at least for part of their portfolio). New Riff is one of a small handful where a lot of us think the new guys are making their own stuff that is pretty decent and doing it in a way that shows a bright future at least, not getting stupid on pricing (are you listening Peerless?) along with Wilderness Trail, Willett’s own juice they’re now bottling (TBD on pricing somewhat still but I think at least the ryes are priced fairly for what they are now), and maybe a couple others. For the most part, the majors are the majors because they’ve gotten really good at what they do and stand the test of time, and most of the newer craft/start-ups suck, so New Riff is a bit unique and worth watching I think. But I’m not buying a bunch from them just yet either.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.