What Dram Are You Enjoying Spring/Summer 2020

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, Mattk said:

Almost posted this in the American rye section by mistake. I just couldn't wrap my head around an Irish rye. If you topped a shortbread cake with mint and honeydew melon it would be this whiskey. So both rye and Irish... Glad I tried it. Won't be looking for a backup.IMG_20200814_161713.thumb.jpg.12996e200b08b3b48e9eb20c25b1d81a.jpg

Your notes sound fabulous!!  ?I will be seeking this one out, and if pricing is OK, I’ll buy it.  

I’m in France and really digging this.  It’s 22 year old single grain scotch and it’s 15€ out the door which is less than $20.  It says it’s Highlands but also seems to be from a bottler Clydesdale in Glasgow.  I’m assuming it’s actually Lowlands from one of the big industrial grain distiller guys like Stratyhclyde.  

Can anyone name any other barrel aged spirit over 20 years and under $20?  

This is from Lidl, for my American folks it’s like Aldis but even crappier.  They are known in Europe to end up with some occasionally good independent bottlings, think similar to Costco Kirkland stuff.  

• I like it 1

On 8/17/2020 at 5:13 PM, HoustonNit said:

I’m in France and really digging this.  It’s 22 year old single grain scotch and it’s 15€ out the door which is less than $20.  It says it’s Highlands but also seems to be from a bottler Clydesdale in Glasgow.  I’m assuming it’s actually Lowlands from one of the big industrial grain distiller guys like Stratyhclyde.  

Can anyone name any other barrel aged spirit over 20 years and under $20?  

This is from Lidl, for my American folks it’s like Aldis but even crappier.  They are known in Europe to end up with some occasionally good independent bottlings, think similar to Costco Kirkland stuff.  

Not sure grain whisky really follows the regional designations that we see with single malt in terms of the style of whisky. Cambus (now closed) and Cameronbridge are both “Highland” grain distilleries while North British, Girvan and Strathclyde (located in Glasgow) are considered “Lowland”. But the grain whisky they made are not necessarily distinctive to each distillery. Where it is bottled likely doesn’t tell you too much about the specific source it came from. Although as a single grain whisky at least you know it came from a single distillery.

And if you like it that’s all that really matters!

On 8/19/2020 at 6:23 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Not sure grain whisky really follows the regional designations that we see with single malt in terms of the style of whisky. Cambus (now closed) and Cameronbridge are both “Highland” grain distilleries while North British, Girvan and Strathclyde (located in Glasgow) are considered “Lowland”. But the grain whisky they made are not necessarily distinctive to each distillery. Where it is bottled likely doesn’t tell you too much about the specific source it came from. Although as a single grain whisky at least you know it came from a single distillery.

And if you like it that’s all that really matters!

Thanks Marekv8 turned me on to trying 20+ year old single grains.  Not for everyone but I think there’s value here and a style I enjoy.  

Your comments about them not disclosing the source and I guess be a highland source I think I like your explanation that they probably aren’t as strict on the labeling for single grain.

Had a couple pours of glenmorangie 12 the lasanta and had a small pour of monkey shoulder after. 

Redbreast 12 yr cask strength 56.2% abs.  With some water.  First drank this at The Dubliner, Wash DC, two days after the Caps won the Stanley Cup.  (Owner is a big Caps fan.  Didn’t know that when we went there for lunch after visiting the National Postal Museum.  Liked it enough to buy my own bottles.  Liked the owner, too.  And the food.

Don’t know why I wanted this tonight, but it sure is scratching an itch.  LOVE the bottle shape, too.  Long neck.

• I like it 1

On 8/28/2020 at 8:47 PM, Kane said:

Once again, so meaningless and lacking character, but probably the best out of their modern lineup.

4F86ACAC-184E-4D06-B0D1-A132041710AF.jpeg

It’s been a while but the 15yo all malt green label was always their best offering to me. And as a Compass Box fan I am not predisposed to dislike blended whisky.

20 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It’s been a while but the 15yo all malt green label was always their best offering to me. And as a Compass Box fan I am not predisposed to dislike blended whisky.

Agreed the Green was pretty decent. So it only makes sense they’d stop making that...

I don’t particularly like most Compass Box, but there’s just no comparison. 

The Green Label disappeared for awhile but I think it is back now if a bit harder to find. That it still carries a 15yo age statement at a decent price ($50 or so!) makes it something of an anomaly in the current market.

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The Green Label disappeared for awhile but I think it is back now if a bit harder to find. That it still carries a 15yo age statement at a decent price ($50 or so!) makes it something of an anomaly in the current market.

I haven't tried the re-introduced version but if it’s the same juice that’s a good deal.

On a different note I fail to find official facts stating what color’s a malt blend vs plain old blended Scotch. And I’m curious. 

1 minute ago, Kane said:

I haven't tried the re-introduced version but if it’s the same juice that’s a good deal.

Mind you I’d still buy a Spice Tree at that price point :)

I’ve been pretty much happy with all Walker’s except the Red label.  Black is always on my bar.  Most Compass Box offerings are fabulous, as well.  

On 9/6/2020 at 9:14 AM, Marekv8 said:

I immediately think of Vosgar— thanks for posting. 

I thought the same as soon as I grabbed the bottle :(

On 9/1/2020 at 6:39 PM, Kane said:

68C3FBB0-D330-453C-B39F-0C3C4BDFD721.jpeg

4th pour from this bottle but it’s somewhat disappointing compared to the good old 10yr cask strength. My least liked Cairdeas so far.

Edited by Kane

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.