Your most purchased bourbon

Sgtspitter101
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 8/11/2020 at 3:58 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Bunkered - KC 9yr and OGD 114 (I loaded up back when they were cheap).

OGD 114 will be somthing I keep in multiples. 

It's 24ish here. What was cheap when it was cheap, if you don't mind me asking? 

• I like it 1

For me, Old Forester and Wild Turkey (although, ironically, at the moment I have no open bottles from either distillery).   

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Jazzhead said:

For me, Old Forester and Wild Turkey (although, ironically, at the moment I have no open bottles from either distillery).   

For shame, for shame. ?

Biba! Joe

21 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

For shame, for shame. ?

Biba! Joe

My bar is graced with only 12 open bottles at a time,   which I think makes things kind of fun,  but I can occasionally be in an OF or WT Drought.   Actually I do have an open Woodford Reserve,  so I misspoke about the OF.   The current open dozen:

Four Roses Small Batch Select

Colonel EH Taylor single barrel

Turley Mill Straight Rye (well-aged, high proof MGP)

Few Bourbon

Woodford Reserve

Willett 4-year rye

McKenzie Single Barrel (wheated)

John J. Bowman Single Barrel

Miyagikyo Single Malt (Balvenie substitute)

Lagavulan 16

Lagavulan Offerman Edition

My Rum solera,

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

On 8/12/2020 at 8:09 PM, Tulse said:

OGD 114 will be somthing I keep in multiples. 

It's 24ish here. What was cheap when it was cheap, if you don't mind me asking? 

Back in the day (and I'm talking 2012-15), the prices for OGD BIB and OGD 114 were close and sometimes inverted - 750s of BIB went for around $19 ($16on sale) while 750s of 114 went for around $20-21 ($18 on sale but a couple times $17).  Buying by proof-ounce, the 114 was a steal even if you had bad water to add to it.  On sale and by 2014 when I finally glommed on to what 114 was (thanks, Squire), the 114 was even cheaper - I picked up a few at $17+ while the BIB was at $18.  THEN some worthless scum started a rumor (debunked by Chuck Cowdery on his blog) that the 114 would be discontinued which caused a small price spike in the 114 from which it has never recovered.  Fortunately for me, my mandatory IRA distribution (MUST TAKE MONEY WHEN YOU HIT 70.5) arrived just prior to the rumor.  I was retired by then and, living in WashDC, had SCORES of liquor stores competing via price for my business, especially for lower and mid-shelf offerings.  In other words, I hit a sweet spot in the 114 market.

A word on the KC 9 yr.  For years I balked at buying it at $25 a 750 or more (other than store picks).  I never passed at $21-22.  I loaded up when the rumor of the removal of the age statement circulated, expecting a general price increase that never came.  BUT, I never could tell the difference between the age stated and the NAS so stopped worrying about the profile and continue to this day to shop KC based on price, not age statement.  I can still find it for $23 a 750, but I have so much that I feel guilty taking new stuff off the market.

MORAL - When a rumor circulates, be sure you want to MARRY the subject of the rumor so you don't end up ruing the day you loaded up on something you just THOUGHT you could live with.  After a couple years, some of the stuff in my bunker is REALLY a kind of a drag.Not OGD BIB/114 or KC 9yr, but there's other stuff . . .

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, Jazzhead said:

My bar is graced with only 12 open bottles at a time,   which I think makes things kind of fun,  but I can occasionally be in an OF or WT Drought.   Actually I do have an open Woodford Reserve,  so I misspoke about the OF.   The current open dozen:

Four Roses Small Batch Select

Colonel EH Taylor single barrel

Turley Mill Straight Rye (well-aged, high proof MGP)

Few Bourbon

Woodford Reserve

Willett 4-year rye

McKenzie Single Barrel (wheated)

John J. Bowman Single Barrel

Miyagikyo Single Malt (Balvenie substitute)

Lagavulan 16

Lagavulan Offerman Edition

My Rum solera,

I really like thIs idea J, and try to practice it myself. Operative word, try. With the Covid-19, things have been kinda crazy. With no weekly meetings of our bourbon & cigar group, and not being able to visit my nephew, or Vosgar before he passed, I haven’t been able to share as many of my bourbons as I normally do. This has meant less bottles going to the recycle bin, and a few more on my open shelf. What a problem to have. ?

Biba! Joe

On 8/12/2020 at 8:42 PM, Jazzhead said:

Want me to send you a pair of pliers?  As an old faht, I got 'em all over the house.  Use 'em to pry the tops and lids off all sorts of stuff.:o

Most consumed is WTRB or 101.

I bought my share of JD and JBW in my younger days in college however.

• I like it 2

On 8/11/2020 at 9:37 AM, beasled said:

Beam for me, thanks to KC and Baker's. 

Easily the same for me, with some Booker's thrown in there from time to time.

• I like it 2

Russell's Reserve SiB store picks. I just have such a hard time passing on these. Showed some restraint and only got one of the recent round of Binny's picks though - have too many I need to get through.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, fanostra said:

Russell's Reserve SiB store picks. I just have such a hard time passing on these. Showed some restraint and only got one of the recent round of Binny's picks though - have too many I need to get through.

There is never enough RRSiB private picks. Fire away at will. Don't limit yourself!

• I like it 1

I buy EWBIB when it comes on sale for $19.98 per handle.  When I hear of that level of sale, I buy it early and often as I find it to be wonderful bourbon.   

• I like it 1

In my 20’s:

OGD BIB

EW Black 

Through my 30’s & thus far into my 40’s:

RR10

ER10

EW BIB

ECSB

I’m kinda liking the Bowman Brothers SB a lot lately as a great $30 daily drinker. With ER10 becoming so hard to get here in NC these days, I could see the BBSB taking its place on the list.

I can also see KC SiB Reserve making a place on this list as my regularly available, great bang for the bucks high proof option. Love that stuff!

I feel like the market has not allowed me a regular drinker. Every time I say "this is the one", the allocations descend, or the price doubles, or whatever else.

My first go to was OWA, in the $20s. Even if supply made it possible, I'm not a regular at $50.

Then I decided Booker's was to be my mainstay. Then it went from $50 to $80, and the age dropped below its former glory.

Had a go at KCSB picks being the norm, but after a few fabulous bottles I spent a year trying to get one that was as good, and missed the target so often that I gave up.

These days I like 4RsmB and regular BT, which I can get cheaply here in the UK. But it's largely a choice of duress.

If I was in the states these days my go to bottles would be ryes. Pikesville and OFR. 

But I still have enough "drink your worst" bottles in my US bunker that I won't be buying any mid shelf stuff for a while the next time I visit, unless I stumble across a random great pick.

• I like it 3

On 8/22/2020 at 10:34 AM, The Black Tot said:

But I still have enough "drink your worst" bottles in my US bunker that I won't be buying any mid shelf stuff for a while the next time I visit, unless I stumble across a random great pick.

You have a "US bunker"?  Is that like me having my London flat so I don't have to check luggage?  Sheesh - first world problems, eh?   ?

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 10:17 PM, NDN98 said:

From a distillery standpoint, its probably a toss up between Heaven Hill or Buffalo Trace, as I like several offerings form both distilleries.   From a specific bottle standpoint, it is John J Bowman SiB hands down.  It is a daily drinker for me and I pick one up at least once a month.

Being in VA I always get a good chuckle out of how people will wait in line for hours for Blanton's, Elmer T Lee, and EH Taylor but just leave John J Bowman on the shelf.  It's literally the one item that is easy to find in VA that is hard to find elsewhere and it largely gets ignored. 

• I like it 4

22 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Being in VA I always get a good chuckle out of how people will wait in line for hours for Blanton's, Elmer T Lee, and EH Taylor but just leave John J Bowman on the shelf.  It's literally the one item that is easy to find in VA that is hard to find elsewhere and it largely gets ignored. 

I really enjoy the Bowman Brothers SmB as my daily sipper & my wife loves using it for Manhattans. I've been meaning to pick up a bottle of the JJBSiB for a while now but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm right below you in NC and it's the same thing down here... Bowman products are plentiful at the ABC stores, yet things like Blanton's, ETL, and CEHT are basically impossible to come across anymore.

• I like it 2

For me,  WT and OF.   Those are the two distillers which make the taste profile I most favor.    I do go out of my way, however, to snap up well-aged MGP bourbon when I can find it.  Yesterday I gladly parted with 75 bucks to obtain a Belle Meade Cask Srength Reserve.  Delicious!

• I like it 1

On 8/12/2020 at 8:09 PM, Tulse said:

OGD 114 will be somthing I keep in multiples.  It's 24ish here. What was cheap when it was cheap, if you don't mind me asking? 

For as long as I remember it's been great value.  Good rich flavor, good proofage, easy to enjoy, all for no-nonsense price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.