Your choice of a $50-60 bottle

rmoore926
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

You input is appreciated.  As I ask my wife and kids what they want for Christmas, and they turned the tables and asked the same of me.  I have about everything I need: don't need anymore work shirts, have a stack of books waiting to be read, etc.  So my thoughts turned to bourbon.  I'll admit to not really enjoying a high rye/spicier bourbon.  I tend to like a sweeter pour.  What would you recommend in the $50-60 range that's readily available (we live in So Cal if that helps)?  Doesn't need to be that much.  If there's a cheaper bottle you'd pick that's great too.  

-Thanks

obviously there are a lot of different flavor profiles and some people prefer higher proof more, while others look for more age as a priority.

The bottles I buy in that price range the most recently seem to be mainly Wild Turkey. Rare Breed, Rare Breed Rye, and Russell’s Reserve single barrel bourbon or rye. Pricing varies obviously. 

Another bottle that is fairly popular around that price point is Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.

Depending on the area you may also find some of the EH Taylor lineup, Stagg Jr, Old Forester 1920, or Four Roses Small Batch Select as some other options. I also have liked what I’ve tasted of the new Baker’s single barrel offerings and there have been some very hood Knob Creek barrel picks out for a while as well as the new 12 year KC version.

Personally I’d be pretty happy with a of the above in that price range. Hard to go wrong. 

• I like it 2

Knob Creek 12 is a good one.   Russell's Reserve store picks are also pretty good sometimes. 

OF 1910 is a sweeter bourbon around that price that is readily available these days.

I still like Henry McKenna 100 proof.

If you can find the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, that's pretty tasty especially with a dose of ice.

Cheers,

My initial thought would be WT RB or a RRSiB.  But if you are not a high rye fan then I would actually steer clear of WT entirely as the entire line uses the same mash bill and is a bit on the spicy side.  

Think KC Single Barrel picks picks are  $50 now and I would suggest looking for something on the younger side (9-10) years where you get all the sweet brown sugar flavors without the oaky dryness of the older barrels.  I like the OF1910 suggestion and also would also add OF1920 to that list.  

As others have mentioned, not always on shelf, but I would say EHTSmB and SiB will fit the bill of a sweeter, cherry cola type profile.  The SmB should be under your price range and the SiB above.  

Also, YES on Elijah Craig BP!  Huge flavors and can be cut with ice or if you are a neat drinker you can cut with regular ECSmB to your wheelhouse.  

I'll throw out a few new ideas right at your $60 mark.  4R Small Batch Select should be on shelf and athough a higher rye content then the WT mash, I do not find it to be nearly as spicy. Also, maybe something in the Makers line, possibly even the new "droid"  (named after a bunch of random letters/numbers) limited edition  may also be in your palate range and would be cool as its a single release.  The wheated mash tends to smooth out or soften the bourbon and gets those sweeter notes.

My ultimate recommendation is to go down to your liquor store and make a list of what intrigues you.  I actually do this every year around the holidays.  Family members/friends know my love of the  bourbon and want to gift me bottles.  So, I provide my wife a list of 10-15 bottles that are on shelf and range from $20-$65 or so and she passes that information along to anyone who asks.  Gotta be proactive as 3-4 turd bottles is quite the chore to polish off!    I am also working on remembering to just answer "WT101" anytime a guest who is coming over insists on bringing something.  

• I like it 2

KC12 or even a cheaper KC120 PS. OF1920 is also one I routinely recommend for people that want to give a good, readily available bottle as a gift.

• I like it 1

I’d second (or third?) the EH Taylor if they can find it.  

Ditto the Old Forester 1910. I recall seeing someone in a thread earlier this week describing it as “cloying”, which I think is fair given the differences in palates and preferences, but to me it was just the right amount of sweetness, so if you prefer sweeter bourbons it may be up your alley and is roughly in your price range.

I also thought it had a similar profile to Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, which you may also like and find around those prices. 

• I like it 1

Echoing others, I'd say Rare Breed or OF 1910 for bourbons readily available.  Bowman Port Finished could be a nice holiday pour as well if you like finished bourbons.

• I like it 1

+1 to both Old Forester 1910 and Woodford Double Oaked. Pretty delicious and sweet drams  in your price range that I regularly enjoy. 

I'd also highly recommend Redwood Empire Lost Monarch. It's out of northern CA, so I'd assume it should be available. 90 proof bourye that just bursts with fresh red fruit on the nose and palate. Plus it's around $35 or so.

• I like it 1

Thank you for the recs so far.  The Old Forester 1910 sounds good.  I'll have to look around in my area to see if I can find it.  The KC12 also looks good.  If I see either I'll make a note for my wife.

Thanks and cheers!

If you can find it,  and I know I've seen it at Total Wine when I was in LA,  I'd recommend a McKenzie's Wheated Single Barrel.   If you'd prefer a  high-rye bourbon,  don't hesitate if you see a Belle Meade Reserve (although I think that one's closer to $75-$80 but oh Lordie  is it worth it .

The OF 1920 is fantastic   I didn't care for the OF 1910 but then again I have yet to find a double-oaked bourbon that I really like.    

5 minutes ago, JvW said:

I enjoy a good bottle of Noah's Mill...

Good choice. especially if you prefer peanut brittle to vanilla.   

• I like it 1

42 minutes ago, rmoore926 said:

Thank you for the recs so far.  The Old Forester 1910 sounds good.  I'll have to look around in my area to see if I can find it.  The KC12 also looks good.  If I see either I'll make a note for my wife.

Thanks and cheers!

I just read through the comments and "liked" some  recommendations I agreed with a lot.  OTOH, if you've already tried some or all of these, maybe a better choice would be something you HAVEN'T tasted.  New Riff and Wilderness Trail have  some nice, relatively rare offerings, and even Jack Daniels Barrel Proof (or whatever they call it) is worth the money in my humble opinion.  It harkens back to WHY I started drinking bourbon fifty+:oB) years ago.

• I like it 3

Yes, forget what you may recall about regular Jack Daniel's.  The single barrel is a whole other experience.  Do you like pecan pie.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I just read through the comments and "liked" some  recommendations I agreed with a lot.  OTOH, if you've already tried some or all of these, maybe a better choice would be something you HAVEN'T tasted.  New Riff and Wilderness Trail have  some nice, relatively rare offerings, and even Jack Daniels Barrel Proof (or whatever they call it) is worth the money in my humble opinion.  It harkens back to WHY I started drinking bourbon fifty+:oB) years ago.

"Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof" maybe?  Me likee, too.  ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

Since you’re in CA, I’d suggest a trip to a Total Wine that has Jim Beam Distillers Cut in stock.  3 bottles will come in at less than $60 OTD, and you’ll have a solid daily drinker that even an aficionado wouldn’t sniff at.  

Or “upsize” to a bottle of the aforementioned Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof along with the JB DC, and it’ll be less than $80 OTD.

For a sweeter pour in that range, I'd look at a Maker's Mark cask strength ("CS") release (the regular CS, the 46 CS, or the 2020 Wood Finishing Series).  As to products from the other major Kentucky distilleries in that price range:

Four Roses - the Single Barrel or Small Batch Select

Wild Turkey - Rare Breed or Russell's Reserve Single Barrel

Heaven Hill - Elijah Craig Barrel Proof or Larceny Barrel Proof

Barton - 1792 Full Proof

Jim Beam - Knob Creek 12

Brown-Forman - Old Forester 1920

Woodford Reserve - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Buffalo Trace - LOL (out of stock at regular prices, but Blanton's is $60 MSRP and would fit the bill)

Probably not going to be easy to find but Larceny Barrel Proof would fit the bill.  Packed with flavor but smooth and sweet (in a good way).  I haven't tried it but have heard good things about the new Maker's Mark 101.

• I like it 2

On 10/22/2020 at 10:01 AM, rmoore926 said:

I'll admit to not really enjoying a high rye/spicier bourbon.  I tend to like a sweeter pour.  What would you recommend in the $50-60 range that's readily available

With your requirements in mind...

- Knob Creek single barrel or 12 Year

- Old Forester 1920

- JD barrel proof single barrel

- Baker's

- MM cask strength

Can NOT go wrong with any of these and readily available.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

Thanks again for the help and suggestions.  Added the Old Forester 1920 to the wish list.  It seems like it was a crowd pleaser and it is easy to find at Total Wine.  Don't want my wife to have to drive all over stopping at liquor stores for me.  Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.