Favorite pours of 2020?

webfoots
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Old 55 was an early 2020 discovery that allowed me to have faith that some micro distilleries are doing it correctly.  If you ever get a chance to try their sweet corn bourbon, it's a must.  I'd love them to release it as a white dog.  I don't know if it was my favorite pour of the year, but it was the most influential to how I browse the whiskey isle.  

One of my 2020 favorites has been the Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel. 

Just wonderful bourbon outright but just about the best value out there imho ... unfortunately like most of these things by the time I figured it out it's become a 'thing' and hard to find. :(

While a local store pick of WRDO was my favorite pour, this Blue Note 11 year local store pick was a very close second. Loved every drop. 

CEC78EE5-1991-4625-8E71-4348FAC80D95.jpeg

For me it has been the kc12yr as well as the heaven hill green label. Found myself returning to those more often than others this year.

• I like it 1

This was a tough one for me to make a decision on. I have been thinking about it since I first saw the post. So many of the pours rank so close it would be a virtual tie on a point scale. So I will go with the one that was so good to me I had to replace the first bottle after finishing it even though it ruined the budget a little.

Whistle Pig Boss Hog Samurai Scientist. 

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

This was a tough one for me to make a decision on. I have been thinking about it since I first saw the post. So many of the pours rank so close it would be a virtual tie on a point scale. So I will go with the one that was so good to me I had to replace the first bottle after finishing it even though it ruined the budget a little.

Whistle Pig Boss Hog Samurai Scientist. 

Congrats on the splurging. I just can't bring myself to do it any more with the Bass Hog releases.  The Black Prince one was a fantastic rye and it still felt overpriced ... I passed on the subsequent ones, but having tasted them whilst out, they have been disappointing to my taste.  I can't be the only one that feels that way, all the stores around here have got years of BH inventory that they can't move. So the good news is that when one runs out, there's always a replacement bottle available. :) WP in general, other than the Piggyback, is so off the charts with their pricing across the board.

Btw, at $100 less the WP 18 is imo not only a better value, but flat out one of the best ryes out there.

Hmm, I seemed to have pooped on your excitement. :(

My apologies, what I meant to convey before making it about myself is that I'm happy that you treated yourself to something you really like to drink.  ?

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, soulsea said:

Btw, at $100 less the WP 18 is imo not only a better value, but flat out one of the best ryes out there.

I just finished a bottle of the 18, and it was not even close to being as good as the BH.

On 11/23/2020 at 11:05 PM, webfoots said:

We are winding down on quite the year. And even though many of this years limited releases are just now hitting the shelves, what have you all enjoyed the most this year?

Anything I could afford...lol.

• I like it 3

On 11/24/2020 at 1:04 PM, john E said:

with the world in disarray this year, I changed how I "drink", or maybe experience bourbon this year. instead of tasting for review, for experience and to judge, I just drank to relax, unwind and enjoy, being much more in the moment rather than analytical. so my picks this year are all over the price range.

1) a tie between OF 1920 and ECBP c919. just so enjoyable. different but the same if you know what I mean. these are perfect sitting outside doing nothing but enjoying the piece and quiet and warm summer/fall evenings, or listing to some classic prog rock on vinyl.

2) Bowman bros small batch. very sweet and a great mouth feel with a small spicy finish. when I wanted to sit outside at night in the summer and read a good book, this was my choice when reading a comedy or a thriller. the best $30 I spent this year. happy to have found 2 back up bottles. prefer this chilled but not watered down. any mitch rapp novel and this are a perfect match. much prefer this to blantons

3) WT 101. like B bros, when I am reading a fantasy novel, this was my choice. the spiciness fits in nicely with the make believe. the wheel of time series and turkey 101 are the perfect match.

honorable mention) JB distillers cut, Bowman single barrel, very old barton 100 which I finally found a few weeks ago, 4 roses SBBP OESQ, old forester rye

john

Awesome series of books!

No new WOW discoveries this year. I did like the 19 WLW and haven't opened the 20 yet.

1. RR Sib (a few different ones actually)

2. Re-discovering OWA107 Going through these like water

3. JD Sib BP

And by measure I drank more WT101 than anything

For me in 2020, Stagg Jr, batch 8, is tied with ETL for a favorite pour.  I'm not sure if it's because ETL is so damn good or just too few and far between.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.