What Bourbon Are You Gifting This Year?

ABVT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, with the holidays right around the bend I have been very interested in what bottles people are giving away to their loved ones - and I'd like to share my own gift. My brother is a huge Weller fanboy and I have been trying for years to get him a bottle W12 at MSRP. He's always been adamant about not paying over suggested retail. Now, he has stopped going out of his way for allocated bottles all together. This year I won my states W12 lottery:  I've been lucky as hell to get this bottle while honoring both of his wishes haha - I'm sure he will appreciate it. Cheers!

IMG_20201217_110853.jpg

Edited by ABVT
  • I like it 11

I gave my son an OWA107 and WSR in the old, rounded squat bottles from 6 or so years ago.  He's new to bourbon so he's never seen these.  And, he really likes Weller.  Rounded out the gift with a CEHT SmB, which he's never had and is really hard to find around here. 

That takes care of my gift list.  My younger son (still in college) just wants money and my wife and I have agreed to not exchange gifts so we can just relax and enjoy the holidays. 

Cheers! 

• I like it 4

Giving my son in law a OWA107 & a HMcK10.  About the best I can find around here this year.  He really wanted a WFP but I have never seen one here in mid-Missouri.

The best part is he will share.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

I gave my son an OWA107 and WSR in the old, rounded squat bottles from 6 or so years ago.  He's new to bourbon so he's never seen these.  And, he really likes Weller.  Rounded out the gift with a CEHT SmB, which he's never had and is really hard to find around here. 

That takes care of my gift list.  My younger son (still in college) just wants money and my wife and I have agreed to not exchange gifts so we can just relax and enjoy the holidays. 

Cheers! 

Ahem, you forgot someone....... ?

Just messing with ya, Fred!  Those are some nice bottles you’re giving to the older son.  Cheers!

• I like it 1

I have one client (who’s also a friend) that I’ll give a dusty bottle or two to.  Introduced him to those at the beginning of the pandemic, and now that’s all he wants to drink when we have a socially distanced get-together......?

Cool topic.  My BIL is a novice who I gave a HMK to about 3 years ago.  He went through another 3-4 bottles on his own until it became allocated.  Picked up a bottle from my local recently and plan on gifting that to him for Christmas.  After I got home and looked the bottle was also barreled on my birthday which kind of makes me want it on my shelf.  Anything wrong with gifting an 80% open bottle of HMK instead?  :)

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Cool topic.  My BIL is a novice who I gave a HMK to about 3 years ago.  He went through another 3-4 bottles on his own until it became allocated.  Picked up a bottle from my local recently and plan on gifting that to him for Christmas.  After I got home and looked the bottle was also barreled on my birthday which kind of makes me want it on my shelf.  Anything wrong with gifting an 80% open bottle of HMK instead?  :)

still 80% better than most gifts

• I like it 4

The GC for my home renovation has mentioned he's into bourbon a few times, and the primary onsite Project Manager is into scotch. They haven't screwed things up too bad, haha, so I will probably gift them a couple of bottles from the bunker. I don't know how deep they are into the hobby, so am thinking a good Eagle Rare store pick for the bourbon. My go-to Scotch gift tends to be Craigellachie as a tasty under the radar single malt that won't scare away blend drinkers.

• I like it 1

Picked this up today for my dad. We finished his last bottle of BT a couple weeks ago so picking a gift for him wasn’t too hard. I’ve also got him two glencairns to go with it. 

BEECF434-4850-4276-9B0E-B7ECC3A9113D.jpeg

• I like it 1

In just looking at the title of this thread, I was going to respond in a sarcastic, comical way. After reading the initial post by ABVT, and subsequent posts by members buying nice bottles for other members of their families, I decided not to.  On a semi-serious note though, I was actually thinking about gifting my nephew a bottle, but he’d just wanna repay the kindness much more than I’m worth. ? So...........

Biba!  Joe

• I like it 4

Only gifting one bottle this year.  Our second grandchild arrived on October 13th of this year.  When his older brother was born in 2017 one of his Christmas presents was a Booker's 2017-01.  Little brother is getting a bottle of Booker's 2020-01.  Good Lord willing I'm going to open and share a pour with #1 on 9/7/2038 and #2 on 10/13/2041.

• I like it 6

9 hours ago, ABVT said:

Well, with the holidays right around the bend I have been very interested in what bottles people are giving away to their loved ones - and I'd like to share my own gift. My brother is a huge Weller fanboy and I have been trying for years to get him a bottle W12 at MSRP. He's always been adamant about not paying over suggested retail. Now, he has stopped going out of his way for allocated bottles all together. This year I won my states W12 lottery:  I've been lucky as hell to get this bottle while honoring both of his wishes haha - I'm sure he will appreciate it. Cheers!

IMG_20201217_110853.jpg

Really cool!  I bet you get to enjoy a pour or two!

9 hours ago, fosmith said:

Cheers! 

Being in college, I bet your younger son might appreciate some bourbon too.  Unless you have taught him your tricks of the bourbon trade, it may not be the same you and your older son might enjoy.  ?

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

In just looking at the title of this thread, I was going to respond in a sarcastic, comical way. After reading the initial post by ABVT, and subsequent posts by members buying nice bottles for other members of their families, I decided not to.  On a semi-serious note though, I was actually thinking about gifting my nephew a bottle, but he’d just wanna repay the kindness much more than I’m worth. ? So...........

Biba!  Joe

When you and @Galvin0791 share bourbon, it is a family affair.  I am sure you will eventually get to share pours of the various gifts and pickups over the past year.

• I like it 3

14 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

When you and @Galvin0791 share bourbon, it is a family affair.  I am sure you will eventually get to share pours of the various gifts and pickups over the past year.

Thanks mbroo. Thank you very much. ? 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I grabbed a case of VOB100 while traveling recently. Since they are inexpensive, delicious, and not found around these parts, I plan on giving several to friends, and a couple to guys who run area liquor stores who I suck up to.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

On a semi-serious note though, I was actually thinking about gifting my nephew a bottle, but he’d just wanna repay the kindness much more than I’m worth. ? So...........

Biba!  Joe

Family or not, you're definitely worth at least a WLW or seven! ?

Cheers Uncle Douché!

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Galvin0791 said:

Family or not, you're definitely worth at least a WLW or seven! ?

Cheers Uncle Douché!

LMAO!

Thank you sir. May I have another? ?

Biba! Uncle Douché

• I like it 1

I’m working on my golf game during the pandemic. My golf coach mentioned he likes Woodford. I had a 1.75 sitting in my bunker. Gave it to him last week and got the pic this weekend. 

7ED80598-967F-4933-BE8A-D4D91F81AE53.jpeg

I don't think I'll get a SB award for this one, but I have culled some bottles I decided I really didn't want to drink. Several friends will drink bourbon but are not bourdon snobs, so I  killed two birds with one bottle.

• I like it 3

So this isn’t a gift in the vein expressed by the title of this thread, but bear with me.

Neighbor who I’ve shared bourbon finds with texts me asking for advice.  His wife wanted to gift a nice bottle of bourbon in the $150-$200 range to one of her clients, so he asked me for some suggestions.  Of course I tell him that unless he’s supremely lucky walking into a store, it’s likely that every bottle in that given price range is marked up a good amount from MSRP.  He drinks bourbon on a casual basis, so he gets that our area has plenty of overpriced options.  Then I ask if his wife knows if the client is an aficionado.  Answer was he definitely was.

So I said I’d be happy to help him out with something from the bunker at MSRP or a fair price.  After some brainstorming, the choices offered were:

1)  Blanton’s Gold (overseas version)

2)  Little Book Chapter 4

3)  Dusties

After conferring with her, they decided on the Blanton’s Gold.  He and his son (who’s a year older than my younger son, so they play basketball together outside my house frequently) come over, and they have a Blanton’s OSB in hand.  I ask if the plan is to gift the client both bottles, and my neighbor says “maybe”.   They had bought the OSB for $80, which I said is a little higher than MSRP but not egregiously so.  I also tell him that the client, unless he has a massive collection of bottles, will likely appreciate and treat the Gold as a special occasion bottle while the OSB gets more of the “daily drinker” level status.  

He was excited, and said his wife was really happy she can give a nice and hard to get bottle to her client.  And the son was also excited, b/c he liked the horse and jockey stoppers on top of the bottles.  I pointed out to him that the OSB stopper is nicer and more solid IMO than the Gold stopper.  As they left, he was already suggesting to his dad they should keep the OSB bottle..  I then told him to look out for the letter on the stopper, and that he could collect them to spell Blanton’s...... ?

• I like it 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.