Accessibility

Matthew
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is there any way for me to obtain weller or stagg  in pa, or am I just sol.   I have to special order old 114.  Who decides where whiskey is allocated to?   Any advisement would be much appreciated

I believe PA is a control state, so the state is responsible for all liquor sales. If the stores don’t have what you want, and if you don’t want to travel some, you’re probably sol. ?

Joe

Thank you for the blatant honesty, great to live in a state that will hand a gun to any half-witted drooling idiot but controls rare whiskey as such

• I like it 1

25 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Is there any way for me to obtain weller or stagg  in pa, or am I just sol.   I have to special order old 114.  Who decides where whiskey is allocated to?   Any advisement would be much appreciated

You’re likely SOL in most of the country. Most members of this site who have been building relationships with store managers/owners for years aren’t guaranteed to get any BTAC these days. It’s not easy anymore. I used to get quite a few LE bottles every fall. Now, I’m lucky to 1-2 bottles total of LE whiskey this year

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, Matthew said:

great to live in a state that will hand a gun to any half-witted drooling idiot 

I resemble that remark!!!

bye-bye-u-dumbass.jpg.594842ad301d2d4ed48b1f8eaf7dd2c3.jpg

• I like it 5

38 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Thank you for the blatant honesty, great to live in a state that will hand a gun to any half-witted drooling idiot but controls rare whiskey as such

I live in Illinois. Yeah, I probably have a little better access to decent whiskey, but our taxes suck. You can get a gun pretty readily here too. The only problem with that is due to Covid-19, our state is months behind in getting FOID cards approved and sent out to applicants. ?

Joe

I apologize virtuoso.  Not against any 2nd amend stuff. Just comparing.  I do live precariously close to philly.   I usually prefer rye anyway

6 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I apologize virtuoso.  Not against any 2nd amend stuff. Just comparing.  I do live precariously close to philly.   I usually prefer rye anyway

PA at least got the 11 year Old Overholt rye that most of the rest of the country is missing out on....

Looks like there is quite a bit of it in the counties around Philly.

• I like it 1

Yes I did see the 11/yr rye.  At $75 I just could not do it.  From my understanding a rye does not need that much aging.  

27 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Yes I did see the 11/yr rye.  At $75 I just could not do it.  From my understanding a rye does not need that much aging.  

The good news is that there are a lot of young ryes out there 

Yep, you’re in trouble. I’ve been gritting my teeth for 3 years now due to PA’s liquor laws. 

What part of PA are you in? Ohio and Maryland are both good and NY state. Let me know if I can lend you a hand on your hunt!

23 hours ago, Matthew said:

There's a lot more available on the Fine Wines and Spirits website than there is at any single State Store.    I too live perilously close to Philly which means I am perilously close to Jersey and Delaware, too,  so I use each state's liquor-set up to my advantage.   Sometimes the Pennsy state store is the place to get interesting stuff at actual suggested retail prices,  and they have good sales (Old Tub for $16.95!).  And they promote Pennsy craft distillers.    But not everything gets to Pennsy;  New Jersey is much more wide open - and prone to both dusties and mark-ups on the  stuff perceived as hot.   And if you have an afternoon to kill,  get on 95 and head past Delaware to the legendary State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD.   

• I like it 1

On 12/20/2020 at 10:22 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I live in Illinois. Yeah, I probably have a little better access to decent whiskey, but our taxes suck. You can get a gun pretty readily here too. The only problem with that is due to Covid-19, our state is months behind in getting FOID cards approved and sent out to applicants. ?

Joe

As an odd coincidence, there was a story about this on a local tv station today. The State Police announced there are currently over 1000,000 pending FOID card applications. ?

Second the recommendation on State Line in Elkton.  Totally worth the drive from greater PHL.  Go down once a quarter with any cash you've saved up and leave your credit cards at home!!  

I've filled my trunk more than once at that place. SRS. 

Is this the place where Pennsylvanians go to load up on cheap booze, but the PA police have the store scoped out looking for PA license plates in the store parking lot so they can nab them when they cross back over the bridge into PA?  I remember hearing a story of such douchebaggery by the cops on some interstate bridge crossover.  

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Is this the place where Pennsylvanians go to load up on cheap booze, but the PA police have the store scoped out looking for PA license plates in the store parking lot so they can nab them when they cross back over the bridge into PA?  I remember hearing a story of such douchebaggery by the cops on some interstate bridge crossover.  

PA or not, douchebaggery is just a good word...?

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

On kinda the same note, there were stories of this same type of thing happening on US 20 coming from Iowa into Illinois a number of years ago. This was with cigarettes though. The sin taxes are/were much greater here in Illinois. There were even billboards on the Illinois side of the Mississippi warning that you were only allowed to bring back two cartons for personal use. I never bought cigarettes in Iowa. The reason I saw the billboards you ask? Well, there were a couple of pretty decent liquor stores just this side of the river that I used to visit on occasion. ?

Biba! Joe

I have heard stories about Ohio Police pulling over Ohio residents who venture over into Covington, Kentucky to visit the Party Source and other liquor stores.  I guess control states are more concerned about excise tax revenues than non control states.

Living in the last State that still had prohibition, back in the 60s I remember there was a liquor store in Louisiana just across the Mississippi River bridge with a large billboard saying, "Last Chance To Buy Liquor!  Dry State Ahead!"

They did a lot of business.

• I like it 3

Originally from Pittsburgh and having to go the the State Store to purchase whiskey was a PIA.  I now live in Las Vegas and only have to add it to my grocery list.   

Dixie Liquor in Wash DC on the non-Virginia end of the Key Bridge.  Eagle Liquor near the State Dept.  1960s crackdown on Virginia HS kids drinking beer in WDC where 18 was legal but VA was 21 — lots of cars got stopped on the VA end where trunks were opened and breaths checked.  Also, sometimes cars with older drivers and Va plates got stopped on the VA end of bridges for huge purchases in WDC.  Price differentials back then were bigger than today’s.  WDC police and local govt objected to Ava troopers entering DCand surveilling inside DC.  By 1975, this was all a memory. Don’t know why Va stopped.  EDIT - What thread is this, anyway?  Where I am?

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 2

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I've posted here before about how the Ohio State Patrol would do this to Ohio residents visiting the Party Source in Covington.

It all got put to an end when the Kentucky Governor threatened to jail Ohio troopers for loitering. 

• I like it 2

Interstate Commerce Clause 

We are within our rights to buy and sell goods and services over state lines.

I'm sure that while those Ohio troopers were loitering in KY, zero crimes were occurring in OH. 

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

Interstate Commerce Clause 

We are within our rights to buy and sell goods and services over state lines.

I'm sure that while those Ohio troopers were loitering in KY, zero crimes were occurring in OH. 

LOL! 

Mass State "troopahs" used to do the same sh*t at the NH border with both hooch and fireworks.  Probably checking for cigarettes, too.  Not so much now since NOBODY smokes anymore.   ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.