Hunt and Gather 15 year initial release?

steven s
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone seen or tried this bourbon? They say it's sourced from "one of KY's oldest and most respected distilleries", and is 79% corn, 13% rye, and 8% malted barley. My liquor store guy said he heard it was from HH. I'm reluctant at $90.

18 hours ago, steven s said:

Has anyone seen or tried this bourbon? They say it's sourced from "one of KY's oldest and most respected distilleries", and is 79% corn, 13% rye, and 8% malted barley. My liquor store guy said he heard it was from HH. I'm reluctant at $90.

I don’t know anything about this release, but I don’t think that is the standard HH mashbill. I think their standard is 78/12/10 but I could be wrong. Or it could have been contract distilled there with a custom recipe, but I kind of doubt this company was actually planning this 15+ years ago

This is not HH. A friend of mine has been speaking to the guys that brought this brand to market and knows where the whiskey came from. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say so I will zip it for now. He's also tasted it and says it's great.

Is this the same distillate that’s in the Doc Swinson’s 15, Old Soul 15, Chicken Cock 15, and 3 Chord Whiskey Drummer 15? 

I’ve heard that the Doc Swinson’s 15 is almost certainly Barton.

Well, if "Bourbon Truth" likes/endorses it, it most likely is NOT from everyones favorite distillery in Frankfort.

:)

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, DeepCover said:

Is this the same distillate that’s in the Doc Swinson’s 15, Old Soul 15, Chicken Cock 15, and 3 Chord Whiskey Drummer 15? 

I’ve heard that the Doc Swinson’s 15 is almost certainly Barton.

I can vouch for the Doc Swinson's  15- it is fantastic and I am halfway through my first bottle.

• I like it 1

I love how nobody actually knows!  We have heard HH, Barton and Beam.  I am here to add a 4th :) 

Full disclosure, I am just regurgitating what I was told which probably went through several rounds of "telephone" before even reaching me.  As such I will keep it short.  I had the opportunity to pre-order a Whiskey Drummer through a friend.   

We were told this is Wild Turkey contract distillate that was originally made for Duke bourbon.  John Wayne relatives I believe.  Things went sideways and the barrels stayed with WT.  Because the mash used for this was 78.5% Corn, 13% Rye, and 8.5% Barley and it was not the standard WT mash they did not want to release it under their name.  Thus the barrels were offloaded and now has been popping up everywhere.   

To the OP.  Unless proofed down significantly I would think $90 is a steal for this.  The Whiskey Drummer was $200!

In addition to those expressions mentioned above by @DeepCover The Discovery Series 4 by Bardstown Bourbon company also looks to be 37% of this mystery 15 year 78.5 distillate.  

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I love how nobody actually knows!  We have heard HH, Barton and Beam.  I am here to add a 4th :) 

Full disclosure, I am just regurgitating what I was told which probably went through several rounds of "telephone" before even reaching me.  As such I will keep it short.  I had the opportunity to pre-order a Whiskey Drummer through a friend.   

We were told this is Wild Turkey contract distillate that was originally made for Duke bourbon.  John Wayne relatives I believe.  Things went sideways and the barrels stayed with WT.  Because the mash used for this was 78.5% Corn, 13% Rye, and 8.5% Barley and it was not the standard WT mash they did not want to release it under their name.  Thus the barrels were offloaded and now has been popping up everywhere.   

To the OP.  Unless proofed down significantly I would think $90 is a steal for this.  The Whiskey Drummer was $200!

In addition to those expressions mentioned above by @DeepCover The Discovery Series 4 by Bardstown Bourbon company also looks to be 37% of this mystery 15 year 78.5 distillate.  

Just another reason why I might have loved Discovery Series 4 so much - lol.

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Duke Spirits was created in 2013. They also list 75/13/12 on their website for their mashbill which wouldn’t match this. It certainly is possible that someone had thought about launching that product line earlier and it’s certainly possible that they were going to use a different mashbill than what they ended up using later, but there certainly seem to be some open questions. 

This certainly could be WT juice that was contract distilled for someone else too. I have no idea. I certainly wouldn’t mind trying it if that is the case. 

https://www.johnwayne.com/blog/2019/1/6/new-life-for-duke-spirits

http://www.dukespirits.com/product/

21 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Duke Spirits was created in 2013.

Ha!  Where there you go.  Makes for a good story anyway. . . 

Picked up a second bottle yesterday...waiting to open the first bottle for when I have friends over for a drink someday.

the plot thickens. Someone must know where this came from. looking forward to tasting notes as well. After all this, I think i'll go back and see if I can still get one.

1 hour ago, steven s said:

the plot thickens. Someone must know where this came from. looking forward to tasting notes as well. After all this, I think i'll go back and see if I can still get one.

I know but am not allowed to say.

@flahuteDoes my list above have the same source, or is this just coincidence? I suspect it’s all the same, but not sure. There’s plenty of speculation for obvious reasons that all these offerings are from the same source. I understand you can’t reveal the source, but do you know if this is all the same distillate?

I remember a number of years ago, Willett did a number of private barrel pick bottlings that were a little “different”. Great, but not their norm. Many of us had a pretty good idea the source of the distillate, but they nor the liquor store that did the private picks could divulge the source because of privacy agreements. And no, the source wasn’t HH

I just did a quick SBS of Doc’s and a sample of Old Soul. These 2 are almost assuredly the same source. Doc’s is slightly better (richer, better finish), but the general profile is identical.

I'm personally moving away from $100ish bottles of NDP and mystery liquids like this.  I've passed on Doc's and Bardstown Bourbon lately that I'm sure tastes really great.  But this shit is way overpriced.

Having said that my main exception is Barrell Bourbon batches because I've been buying their stuff for a long time and I've developed a taste for many of their blends. I'm hooked.

Otherwise I'm generally gravitating to bottles like WTRB, RR, 4R, and other trusted sources of excellent whiskey at a fraction of the price.  And when I want a special "splurge" whiskey then I like to spend my money on products from major producers that I know I already enjoy like WT  master's keep or LEs from my favorite distillers...

• I like it 7

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'm personally moving away from $100ish bottles of NDP and mystery liquids like this.  I've passed on Doc's and Bardstown Bourbon lately that I'm sure tastes really great.  But this shit is way overpriced.

Having said that my main exception is Barrell Bourbon batches because I've been buying their stuff for a long time and I've developed a taste for many of their blends. I'm hooked.

Otherwise I'm generally gravitating to bottles like WTRB, RR, 4R, and other trusted sources of excellent whiskey at a fraction of the price.  And when I want a special "splurge" whiskey then I like to spend my money on products from major producers that I know I already enjoy like WT  master's keep or LEs from my favorite distillers...

Hard to argue with this. Most of my stash is barrel picks at this point and a lot of RR and 4R in there. 

1 minute ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Blink twice when someone guesses correctly. . . 

LOL! If we meet up in person it's a deal.

• I like it 1

On 1/9/2021 at 7:19 PM, flahute said:

I know but am not allowed to say.

What was the purpose of this post?

and I did go grab one. will open soon and share my thoughts.

Edited by steven s

12 hours ago, steven s said:

What was the purpose of this post?

and I did go grab one. will open soon and share my thoughts.

Because you said that someone must know. I was confirming that someone does.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.