Hunt and Gather 15 year initial release?

steven s
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Managed to snag one of these thanks to a friend on the east coast.

First impressions are that this is fabulous. Extremely happy with this purchase. Complex layers, rich mouthfeel, zero oak. This first pour was right out of the box so the bourbon was very cold so that's a good sign it tastes this good when cold.

Will reevaluate after it warms up to room temperature.

• I like it 1

The 78.5 mash bill that is 15 years old is indeed Beam. 

The Bardstown Discovery #4 is 15 year Beam, 13 year Barton, and what I assume to be 10 year Wild Turkey, but I have no evidence for that specific component.

Screenshot_20210116-224327_Chrome.jpg

1792-scaled.jpg

Edited by clearmoon247

19 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

The 78.5 mash bill that is 15 years old is indeed Beam. 

My understanding is that Beam does not release their mashbill and I recall on some podcast where Fred Sr. was being goaded by Fred Minnick into revealing it.  If this is in fact Beam I am very surprised that they would allow anyone buying those barrels to disclose the mash and/or that Beam would even tell the buyers what the mash is.

Not saying its not Beam, just noting that I find it strange that this is how the Beam mash is "outed"

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

My understanding is that Beam does not release their mashbill and I recall on some podcast where Fred Sr. was being goaded by Fred Minnick into revealing it.  If this is in fact Beam I am very surprised that they would allow anyone buying those barrels to disclose the mash and/or that Beam would even tell the buyers what the mash is.

Not saying its not Beam, just noting that I find it strange that this is how the Beam mash is "outed"

The first image i posted shows a 15 year release with the same mash bill, identifying it as Beam sourced

https://www.pickebourbon.com/ThirdRelease

Edited by clearmoon247

17 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

The first image i posted shows a 15 year release with the same mash bill, identifying it as Beam sourced

Yes, I did see that.  I am just not certain that one picture is concrete enough for me to die atop that hill if you know what I mean.  

My position is based on one major assumption and that is that all of this 15 year 78.5 bourbon is coming from the same distillery.  Assuming that is true I wonder why none of the other releases have claimed the product is Beam juice?  NDAs are pretty much the standard whenever a legacy sells barrels to a NDP aren't they?  Why would Beam, who again does not release their mash bill, suddenly be ok with the information being released?  Finally, Beam just released a 15 year limited Knob Creek this past year so again I wonder why they would then want to place a whole bunch of identical product out on the market to be bottled under a competitor brand?  That just does not sit well with me.

On the flip side, I did poke around on the link that you provided and will say that Picke does seem very transparent about where their barrels are from and there is quite a bit of detail and photos of the barrels from releases 1 & 2 (both MGP so we know all that info is always provided).  As of now, there are no such photos of the third release so maybe if/when they post those it will be more solidified.  

I did get to try a very small pour of the Three Chord Whiskey Drummer release yesterday and it is indeed a very wonderful bourbon.  I did not get the sweet oak or caramel flavors I associate with HH nor the bolder peanut buttery caramel from Beam.  It also did not really fit the WT profile, but we already know it is not the standard WT 75% mash so it would have to be something they distilled for someone else.  As posted above I was told initially that the Three Chord was WT contract distillate which is what got me excited and so I readily admit that I WANT it to be Turkey which skews my tasting thoughts.  

Hunt and Gather info shows 79% corn. Would they be rounding up, or could it be something different than the 15 year 78.5% juice?

On 1/29/2021 at 9:44 AM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Yes, I did see that.  I am just not certain that one picture is concrete enough for me to die atop that hill if you know what I mean.  

My position is based on one major assumption and that is that all of this 15 year 78.5 bourbon is coming from the same distillery.  Assuming that is true I wonder why none of the other releases have claimed the product is Beam juice?  NDAs are pretty much the standard whenever a legacy sells barrels to a NDP aren't they?  Why would Beam, who again does not release their mash bill, suddenly be ok with the information being released?  Finally, Beam just released a 15 year limited Knob Creek this past year so again I wonder why they would then want to place a whole bunch of identical product out on the market to be bottled under a competitor brand?  That just does not sit well with me.

On the flip side, I did poke around on the link that you provided and will say that Picke does seem very transparent about where their barrels are from and there is quite a bit of detail and photos of the barrels from releases 1 & 2 (both MGP so we know all that info is always provided).  As of now, there are no such photos of the third release so maybe if/when they post those it will be more solidified.  

I did get to try a very small pour of the Three Chord Whiskey Drummer release yesterday and it is indeed a very wonderful bourbon.  I did not get the sweet oak or caramel flavors I associate with HH nor the bolder peanut buttery caramel from Beam.  It also did not really fit the WT profile, but we already know it is not the standard WT 75% mash so it would have to be something they distilled for someone else.  As posted above I was told initially that the Three Chord was WT contract distillate which is what got me excited and so I readily admit that I WANT it to be Turkey which skews my tasting thoughts.  

Very good points. The reason this flood of 15yr stocks from Beam doesn't effect their own releases is because it is an alternate mash that they use for non-Beam branded products. More specifically, it is a slightly tweaked Knob Creek. As far as Turkey goes, they simply don't do stuff like this so that won't be happening. The "Turkey" in Bardstown's Discovery series 2 is from BT, I wanna say it was contract distillate but don't recall exactly. BTW, if something is 15yr but not Kentucky then odds are it's old Seagrams contract distillate, there's currently a ton of that on the market too. 

• 2 weeks later...

opened one of these last night.

I was impressed, especially for the first pour without much air time.

Reminded me of a good, similarly aged KC upon first try, just not as hot, but thats the difference in proof i would assume.

Looking forward to revisiting soon. 

I paid $95, and I'm not sure of my opinion of the value quite yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.