Cocktail Hour--2021

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I thoroughly enjoyed Derby Day on TV, yesterday. I made two mint juleps while I was watching. For the second one, I tried to approach the fancy recipe the Woodford Reserve guy showed on one of the features. I don't have vanilla beans, so I used a drop of pure vanilla extract. Interesting. I also appreciate his tip of using powdered sugar instead of granulated. It made the mixing easier, but it left my drink kind of cloudy. Oh, well; both of them were delicious.

• I like it 1

Round one:  

Mardi Gras

50 ml bourbon (WTKS)

10 ml apricot liqueur (Brizzard Apry)

dash lemon bitters (Bitter Truth)

orange peel garnish

This is from the back label of the lemon bitters.   The bourbon shines out here and the apricot liqueur adds just enough dried fruit sweetness.  This is an old bottle of Apry and I'm sure a newer bottle would make the drink a little brighter, but this is a solid alternative to a Manhattan and a good follow-up to a julep.  

IMG_7241.thumb.jpg.ccfe1d4e4e8d33ba6d62c694d38b32bf.jpg

• I like it 3

Round two:

Old Cuban-Italian

1 1/2 oz dark rum (Coruba)

1/2 oz C3 Carciofo artichoke liqueur

1/2 oz simple syrup

3/4 oz lime juice

10 mint leaves

Shake with ice.  Double strain. Serve up or with a big cube.  Top with one ounce of sparkling wine.  

Garnish with mint.

This is as good as home cocktailing gets.  Although this is in the mojito family, it's a more complex drink.  The artichoke liqueur balances the sweetness of the rum, and the wine float (in this case Prosecco) lifts the whole thing, keeping it refreshing and moreish.  A perfect drink as the warmer weather moves in.  And looks good in the glass!

IMG_7243.thumb.jpg.9e9763982791b637ce27a782b75b8442.jpg

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 3

Meant to post this last night but things got away from me.  The EC rye made a pretty good Sazerac.  I think I prefer Ritt but if I can't get that the EC works fine.

IMG_20210503_164656886.jpg

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, BigRich said:

My first margarita of the year.  Soooooo good.  

9A9DCE4B-D83A-43B9-81BE-0E189E66CC1A.jpeg

It’s the day to do it! 

E77F4EF6-986B-4770-BCC9-2600133E078D.jpeg

• I like it 1

Equal parts Bookers and ginger beer, a splash of Maraska maraschino liqueur and maple syrup and a few drops of orange bitters.  Put on ice and gently stirred.  Made a couple for 2 of my sons and they asked 'where have you been hiding this one?'  Drank half of it before even thinking to take a picture of it.  The best part is they got me a case of Fever Tree ginger beer for Christmas and most of it is already gone!

Cheers...

0505212109b.jpg

• I like it 2

Back to basics.

Redemption rye and ginger ale with a twist of lime.

• I like it 1

On 3/6/2021 at 7:10 PM, MM818 said:

The Junior. Originated in the 1930s. 2 oz rye, .75 lime juice, .5 oz Benedictine. Couple dashes of bitters. Next time I’ll back down the lime juice to .5 oz. Definitely worth the squeeze!

2B0E72AB-8D11-4578-BEE8-AEE343DC04CA.jpeg

Came back around to this cocktail. Equaled  out the lime juice and Benedictine. Definitely balances out the cocktail.  I think I prefer with more lime juice tho. 

194E46CA-A1DF-4A6C-B1F7-0A4D0B562054.jpeg

Some days I crave a really good Gin & Tonic.  Today was that day.

The pink color comes from a local distillery that makes hibiscus 🌺 flavored gin.

381EDBFE-C95E-4BD2-BD91-B057FE3D1C30.jpeg

• I like it 1

Sazerac time with some EC Rye. Used Herbsaint, 5 dashes Peychaud's, 1 dash Angostura, and a splash of Big O Ginger Liqueur with a lemon twist. Makes a pretty good Saz but tastes an awful lot like Rittenhouse for $10 more.

20210516_180331.jpg

20210514_143925.jpg

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, Clueby said:

Sazerac time with some EC Rye.

tastes an awful lot like Rittenhouse for $10 more.

😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, 0895 said:

😂😂😂

Yes..I know.  I caved to peer pressure and FOMO. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Yes..I know.  I caved to peer pressure and FOMO. 🤷‍♂️

oh, I bought one too.

It’s good whiskey.

I just liked your comment.

The marketing guys at HH are probably all high fives after reading your post.

😂

Mixed up a Waldorf cocktail.  Basically a rye Manhattan with an absinthe rinsed glass.  The absinthe adds a little complexity without a strong anise flavor.  This won't be a regular for me but maybe when I am looking for something different.

Another Boulevardieresq barrel aged cocktail. Will go two weeks (shaking occasionally) then bottle and add bitters. Similar to BBQ the initial supplies seem like a lot, but the final product disappears very quickly!

92A4F6AF-75E7-4836-B7EE-33BD8940D7F1.jpeg

• I like it 1

I’m kicking off the weekend with my first daiquiri of the season.  This is my go to summer cocktail.  Although? Bruce gave me a few more that are in contention too.

0A12300D-8779-4A4A-8180-6DE27C178D7C.jpeg

5 hours ago, BigRich said:

I’m kicking off the weekend with my first daiquiri of the season.  This is my go to summer cocktail.  Although? Bruce gave me a few more that are in contention too.

0A12300D-8779-4A4A-8180-6DE27C178D7C.jpeg

Did Bruce judge your daiquiri ingredients and recipe thereby forcing you to up your game? 

Ready to start the grill while enjoying a bottle-killing Manhattan.  Summer heat has clamped down early in the NE.  Nothing for it but ice and whiskey and meat and fire!

IMG_7366.thumb.jpg.5c03e37bb986b97ae095a3b03c5f4556.jpg

• I like it 1

Bookerpig Manhattan.   

Equal parts Bookers and barrel proof Whistlepig 10 (and truth be told a little JB Bonded to top up the 1 1/2 oz), generous 1/2 oz vermouth (Starlino), Boker's bitters, ice, stir, cherry.

This is a steakhouse Manhattan.  It's been sitting, and I've been sipping for a half hour.  Watered down now but still full of flavor.   Spatchcocked greek chicken will sub in for steak but after one (or two) of these...no problem.

Or is it a Whisker's Manhattan?

IMG_7396.thumb.jpg.157fad00a3e634f11136b1d31eaad4db.jpg

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 2

On 6/4/2021 at 10:29 PM, flahute said:

Did Bruce judge your daiquiri ingredients and recipe thereby forcing you to up your game? 

This is my go to.  It shall not be submitted for judgement!

On 6/6/2021 at 5:15 PM, scratchline said:

Ready to start the grill while enjoying a bottle-killing Manhattan.  Summer heat has clamped down early in the NE.  Nothing for it but ice and whiskey and meat and fire!

IMG_7366.thumb.jpg.5c03e37bb986b97ae095a3b03c5f4556.jpg

I love the red-head!

Old Fashioned at the bar before dinner while waiting for Mrssmokinjoe and Littlesmokinjoe to get back from shopping.  The cocktail is well crafted and I am enjoying it...uh...them...🤷.   But, being in a packed restaurant while every seat at the bar is filled, is even better.  

E168E034-83EA-4BA2-83AD-B87D00E179C0.jpeg

• I like it 6

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

But, being in a packed restaurant while every seat at the bar is filled, is even better.  

Hell yes!

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.