Cocktail Hour--2021

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bourye Old Fashioned.  I haven't had a non-muddled Old Fashioned in forever.  I have a buddy who likes the fruity style so whenever I see him, those get made.  This is really nice but I think it needs a little more citric acid to spice it up and balance it out.  Used two barspoons of simple syrup and just a few drops of Boker's bitters and Fee Bros orange bitters.  Need to cut it back to one barspoon of sweet or a much larger swath of orange peel.  Of course can't go too wrong as long as good whiskey is involved and Bourye covers it.  I find the Old Fashioned a really tricky drink to get right.  A lifetime ago, I remember a barkeep in Venice, Italy muddling a sugar cube and orange slice and water and bitters, and then pulling out a bottle of ND Old Grand Dad to complete the best Old Fashioned that I ever had.  Hard to ever meet that mark!

IMG_7467.thumb.jpg.30c2b0bdb4b071261392fcf5d9b0ebb1.jpg

Okay, I went for the muddled version on round 2.  And it tastes muddled.  I used a blood orange wedge and dialed the sugar back to one bar spoon, but it's harsher and more bitter than version 1.  Maybe the pith from the orange just overpowered everything else?  Dunno but can't understand my friend's devotion to this style.   The fruit slurry in the bottom of the glass is also discouraging.  Think I'll dump the rest of it and reach down a bottle of fine bourbon.

Maybe the wedge was the problem!  I've used slices in the past and it was better than this.  Too much peel, not enough fruit.  Round three.  Or maybe round one on another day.

IMG_7472.thumb.jpg.31bbc8b50568be711532144b21a2af74.jpg

IMG_7473.thumb.jpg.4b8d0821c14d71f9d4149ac03c5f1f91.jpg

Interesting. I prefer a simple Old Fashioned. Just whiskey, bitters, and sugar (not too much sugar). Clean and nothing to muddle.

Trying out my father's day gift tonight with a smoked Old Fashioned.  I had to wait to get a kitchen torch. It doesn't seem to work as well as the vids I've see but it does give a nice smoky aroma to the glass. I had to go to a taller glass. My regular rocks glass, the bottom of the Foghat was in the drink. Or I need to make smaller drinks. Nah!!

20210624_204318.jpg

20210624_204409.jpg

Before and while I make dinner, burgers on the grill, a JB double old fashioned.

A17D6540-B430-4F2C-A424-60E872CB048E.thumb.jpeg.b3aca1a380a52b7598ce1def54920d75.jpeg

• I like it 1

Today is a perfect day for freezer whiskey cocktails. It's a basic Mojito,  with MC, instead of rum.

20210627_134946.jpg

Stealing lyrics from The Merrymen and Buster Poindexter, I was felling hot hot hot today.  So a nice big double 4RYL Old Fashioned will hopefully cool me off.  Ole Ole!

C420473B-42BE-4847-BCC9-BCA3DD72B1CA.thumb.jpeg.a3361b7ad23f61f295d7b349786379bd.jpeg

Edited by Kjbarth
  • I like it 2

My first time trying a Toronto cocktail tonight at JCT Kitchen. Won't be the last.

Been on an old fashioned kick lately. 3 hrs cutting the lawn, sweating my a@@ off, then a shower, then food shopping with SWMBO, and now I’m reluctantly being allowed to have a cold drink and relax a bit before dinner.  4RYL Old Fashioned on the porch listening to tiny acorns fall on the roof and hit the gutters.

2A2E4C03-2BB8-435D-B69F-C1F53BAD5DA8.thumb.jpeg.9c7442aff1aa9258b02cc6d43d0b8a75.jpeg

• I like it 3

My favorite posts, all of you are artists. So many cocktails to choose from, so many to try.

• I like it 1

RR SB with Maraska Maraschino liqueur, chocolate bitters, candied orange peel and mint leaves.   Starting to watch the thunder storm move in and not wanting to win a Darwin award, moved to the deck.

0707211503b.jpg

0707211510a.jpg

• I like it 1

Had some smoked Old Fashioneds made with EC rye while watching the Black Widow movie and the storm rolling in last night.20210709_203207.thumb.jpg.ee05111be8180bf67a24ad03554656cf.jpg

Been trying to perfect the "American Trilogy" cocktail of late. 

1 oz Lairds BIB apple brandy (DON'T USE LAIRD'S APPLEJACK. It is no bueno for this drink! Or any drink that I can recall...)

1 oz Rittenhouse BIB rye (or Old Forester BIB rye)

1/4 oz Grade A dark amber maple syrup "syrup"*

2 dashes orange bitters (I use a 1:1 blend of Reagans and Angostura orange)

*Basically use the maple syrup cut with hot water 2:1 like you were making a rich simple syrup. If you use straight syrup (not recommended) then cut it in half! The maple syrup can easily overwhelm this drink. May need to play around with the amount to suit your own tastes but too much is generally not ideal!

On 7/10/2021 at 12:03 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Been trying to perfect the "American Trilogy" cocktail of late. 

1 oz Lairds BIB apple brandy (DON'T USE LAIRD'S APPLEJACK. It is no bueno for this drink! Or any drink that I can recall...)

1 oz Rittenhouse BIB rye (or Old Forester BIB rye)

1/4 oz Grade A dark amber maple syrup "syrup"*

2 dashes orange bitters (I use a 1:1 blend of Reagans and Angostura orange)

*Basically use the maple syrup cut with hot water 2:1 like you were making a rich simple syrup. If you use straight syrup (not recommended) then cut it in half! The maple syrup can easily overwhelm this drink. May need to play around with the amount to suit your own tastes but too much is generally not ideal!

This would appear to be an ideal autumn cocktail. 

• I like it 1

Double Taconic Distillery bourbon old fashioned at the end of a long hot day.

A1EA25BD-7385-4D18-8442-D621301C03A2.thumb.jpeg.16e7e30acefe5a79f030027b1512f70c.jpeg

I rarely drink old fashioneds, but this Woodford black cherry one is fantastic.

(half the amount of simple syrup)

943D21A2-5278-4B91-868E-D599CB555769.jpeg

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

I rarely drink old fashioneds, but this Woodford black cherry one is fantastic.

(half the amount of simple syrup)

943D21A2-5278-4B91-868E-D599CB555769.jpeg

I think the correct lead in is...."I rarely drink old fashioneds, but when I do I drink...."

Jonathan_Goldsmith_2009.jpg

Edited by BigRich
  • I like it 2

Lots of Old Fashioned talk lately. Even some muddle or not to muddle discussion. Keeping with the theme with some stovetop simple syrup. 

106E2BA8-0B4F-4E39-BEC2-81A4BF2B445A.jpeg

Yes, I’m posting in the cocktail thread. 😲 I hope no one faints. 😉

A little history first. In my younger days, when It was legal for me to drink only on my Army post, I developed a taste for CC and Coke. This was my drink of choice for a few years until I was given a bottle of CR as a Xmas present. CR and Coke then became my favorite. I drank CR and Coke for years. Then I discovered bourbon. The rest as they say, is history.

Anyway, my palate has been a bit off lately. I have a ps bottle of 103 proof CR Select that’s been open for quite a while. I thought what the heck, so I’m on the back patio with CR Select and Royal Crown Cola in a large tumbler. It ain’t fantastic, but it doesn’t suck either. Maybe it’ll jump start my palate. As an added thought here, we’ve all heard of 7 and 7.  Now we’ve all heard of CR and RC. 😂

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

On 7/26/2021 at 4:12 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Yes, I’m posting in the cocktail thread. 😲 I hope no one faints. 😉

A little history first. In my younger days, when It was legal for me to drink only on my Army post, I developed a taste for CC and Coke. This was my drink of choice for a few years until I was given a bottle of CR as a Xmas present. CR and Coke then became my favorite. I drank CR and Coke for years. Then I discovered bourbon. The rest as they say, is history.

Anyway, my palate has been a bit off lately. I have a ps bottle of 103 proof CR Select that’s been open for quite a while. I thought what the heck, so I’m on the back patio with CR Select and Royal Crown Cola in a large tumbler. It ain’t fantastic, but it doesn’t suck either. Maybe it’ll jump start my palate. As an added thought here, we’ve all heard of 7 and 7.  Now we’ve all heard of CR and RC. 😂

Biba! Joe

Could call it “Enterprise”. You know, CRRC (as in Kirk…). 😂

• I like it 1

Another day, another pounding thunderstorm. Watched the show drinking a 4RYL old fashioned.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.