Jump to content

What foreign whiskey/whisky are you drinking 2021?


Harry in WashDC

Recommended Posts

Harry in WashDC

Can't believe nobody has started this.  WE ARE 22 DAYS into 2021!!  Nobody else drinking imported stuff??

 

Writers Tears Double Oak Irish 92 proof NAS.  Blend of Irish aged in bourbon barrels and in cognac barrels.  I'm a third down the 750 tonight so it must be good.:P

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • beasled

    32

  • LvR Mike

    18

  • dad-proof

    11

  • GaryT

    7

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay, don’t nobody faint. The Weller Whore is partaking of a “foreign” whiskey this evening. 😮   Many, many years ago, CC and Coke was my mixed drink of choice. I graduated to Crown and Coke

Last Saturday I got together with a couple Scotch drinkers. I brought some bourbon and rumye, they brought some Islay whiskys. I tried 4 from Lagavulin, 4 from Laphroaig, and 5 from Ardbeg. I came awa

My oldest turned 10 today and my second oldest turned 7 yesterday, so winding down with a 17 year old Scotch seems like a fitting end to a very busy weekend, as well a warm up for Robert Burns day.

Posted Images

dad-proof

My oldest turned 10 today and my second oldest turned 7 yesterday, so winding down with a 17 year old Scotch seems like a fitting end to a very busy weekend, as well a warm up for Robert Burns day.

PXL_20210125_001002556.thumb.jpg.35e2bad533ed743ec3929ba50ea9d2f9.jpg

  • I like it 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
dad-proof

Bunnahabhain 12 while I finish up a presentation for work. This was my gateway Single Malt and it remains a favorite. The packaging has changed sometime since I bought this particular bottle.  

PXL_20210125_225119369.thumb.jpg.a4a8d2470dc8efa65fc4b7ee5c50a682.jpg

 

 

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
dad-proof

Last of the evening. A fresh crack from a bottle a coworker brought back from the UK for me upon request. Very brash, in a good way.  I would like to grab an Ardbeg Wee Beastie for a side by side.

 

PXL_20210126_025457523.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.46c4d0d77dbc15eea957e63e0aeb94e2.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie

Last Saturday I got together with a couple Scotch drinkers. I brought some bourbon and rumye, they brought some Islay whiskys. I tried 4 from Lagavulin, 4 from Laphroaig, and 5 from Ardbeg. I came away realizing I am an Ardbeg guy. I also enjoyed the Lagavulin pours. 

I suppose I'll be buying a bottle of Ardbeg 10 pretty soon. 

  • I like it 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
dad-proof
28 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I suppose I'll be buying a bottle of Ardbeg 10 pretty soon

The special releases can be very nice but Ardbeg 10 is great value and IMO Uigeadail can hold it's own against the special releases.

  • I like it 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
15 hours ago, dad-proof said:

The special releases can be very nice but Ardbeg 10 is great value and IMO Uigeadail can hold it's own against the special releases.

THX for this opinion.  We're making a list for our next replenishment run and like to add one or two things we haven't tried before.

 

Tonight, we're having leftovers.  Pre-dinner will be Teeling Single Grain Irish 92 proof non-chill filtered finished "in ex-wine barrels".  I'm kinda glad they took the wine out of the barrels before putting in the whiskey.:o  It reminds me of the Redbreast Lustau.  Sort of.  OF COURSE I just tasted it; had to make sure it was potable.B)

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie
20 hours ago, dad-proof said:

The special releases can be very nice but Ardbeg 10 is great value and IMO Uigeadail can hold it's own against the special releases.

I had the Uigeadail and corryvreckan. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. 

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
dad-proof

I think I am on my last bottle of this marrying cask version of CB Artist's Blend.

PXL_20210129_025415054.thumb.jpg.9b55a81188e9a0c5cc4882db41646463.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dad-proof said:

I think I am on my last bottle of this marrying cask version of CB Artist's Blend.

PXL_20210129_025415054.thumb.jpg.9b55a81188e9a0c5cc4882db41646463.jpg

 

 

Those are sooooooo damn good.  I'm down to my last bottle of the Artist and last bottle of the Glasgow. 

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Finishing up the evening with a Laphroaig 10.  This, combined with my Perdomo means my palate is shot for the rest of the weekend...🤪. So, tomorrow when I wax poetically on the virtues of the Malort I’m drinking then, please be kind... 😞

  • I like it 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Finishing up the evening with a Laphroaig 10.  This, combined with my Perdomo means my palate is shot for the rest of the weekend...🤪. So, tomorrow when I wax poetically on the virtues of the Malort I’m drinking then, please be kind... 😞

Since your palate is already shot you can drink some coffee and Fernet to your heart's delight.

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still *not completely sold on terroir being a thing in whisk(e)y but I'll happily taste whatever experiments people want to throw at me. 

 

I'm glad this thread is called 'what are you drinking' and not 'what are you enjoying'. I don't hate this by any means but it is a little too young and fiesty to love yet. Perhaps the bottle will open up. Cheers.

20210202_220807.jpg

Edited by beasled
  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe

Okay, don’t nobody faint. The Weller Whore is partaking of a “foreign” whiskey this evening. 😮

 

Many, many years ago, CC and Coke was my mixed drink of choice. I graduated to Crown and Coke after being given a bottle of CR as a Xmas gift. MM was my gateway bourbon, and I always have a bottle (or 3) on hand. It’s kinda the same thing with CR. I’ve purchased various iterations of it over the years even after I caught the bourbon bug. (FWIW, my favorite was Cask 16.) I always try to keep at least one iteration of CR on hand because my son likes it, and I do too. Anyway, I’ve had a bottle of Hand Selected Crown Royal open for quite a while now, and decided to give it a go this evening. This isn’t my first bottle of this, and if I can find it on sale again, it probably won’t be my last. It’s basically regular CR bottled at 103 proof, and I have to admit it tastes pretty darned good. The higher proof offsets the normal lightness of regular CR, but the earthy sweetness is still very much present. Maybe my fondness for BIB’s has acclimated my palate somewhat, because the 103 proof of this bottle is not “hot” by any stretch of ones imagination. Warming yes, but not hot. 
 

Oh, I almost forgot.... Since I caught the bourbon bug, I no longer mix my CR. Just like my bourbon, it’s a Glencairn with maybe a couple of small chips of ice, depending. 😁 ‘Scuse me while I get another pour. :P

 

Biba! Joe

  • I like it 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie

My first Islay purchase, and also my first Scotch purchase in probably 15+ years.

I enjoy everything I've had from Ardbeg, and as a bourbon and straight rye guy, I appreciate them not putting any coloring into the whisky. 

A 92 proof explosion of flavor. I doubt I get too far down the Scotch rabbit hole (fingers crossed). I'll always have something comparable to this on my shelf. 

20210205_203453.jpg

  • I like it 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

My first Islay purchase, and also my first Scotch purchase in probably 15+ years.

I enjoy everything I've had from Ardbeg, and as a bourbon and straight rye guy, I appreciate them not putting any coloring into the whisky. 

A 92 proof explosion of flavor. I doubt I get too far down the Scotch rabbit hole (fingers crossed). I'll always have something comparable to this on my shelf. 

20210205_203453.jpg

Glad to see you on the Ardbeg bus! I've been working on @0895 for a while but haven't turned him. Uigeadail is probably my favorite from their regular lineup. I'll have to bring you an Ardbog sample, and Oogy if you haven't tried it.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie
1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Glad to see you on the Ardbeg bus! I've been working on @0895 for a while but haven't turned him. Uigeadail is probably my favorite from their regular lineup. I'll have to bring you an Ardbog sample, and Oogy if you haven't tried it.

I got to try Wee Beastie, 10, Oogy, and Corry a few weeks ago. I liked them all quite a bit, so I decided to buy their middle of the road priced regular. 

The Oogy or Corry will be my next Scotch purchase.

I tried getting @0895 on the rum train a few months ago. I was not successful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Glad to see you on the Ardbeg bus! I've been working on @0895 for a while but haven't turned him. Uigeadail is probably my favorite from their regular lineup. I'll have to bring you an Ardbog sample, and Oogy if you haven't tried it.

 

25 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I got to try Wee Beastie, 10, Oogy, and Corry a few weeks ago. I liked them all quite a bit, so I decided to buy their middle of the road priced regular. 

The Oogy or Corry will be my next Scotch purchase.

I tried getting @0895 on the rum train a few months ago. I was not successful. 

 

 

I'll just be over here in the Irish aisle when it comes to the foreign stuff.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottlekill of this. A rather aggressive pour, no doubt. Heavy on peat, heavy on sweet, no nuance at all. But still great value. 

20210209_225814~2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tipping back a big freaking pour of this really nice GKS selection in honor of Brett (aka Scotch Trooper), who passed yesterday.  Only got to meet him once, but was a big fan of his work, may he rest in peace.

 

IMG_20210212_141457.thumb.jpg.387f967760eb7ce8cdedf6c215ff2eed.jpg

 

 

 

  • I like it 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Galvin0791
3 hours ago, GaryT said:

Tipping back a big freaking pour of this really nice GKS selection in honor of Brett (aka Scotch Trooper), who passed yesterday.  Only got to meet him once, but was a big fan of his work, may he rest in peace.

 

IMG_20210212_141457.thumb.jpg.387f967760eb7ce8cdedf6c215ff2eed.jpg

 

 

 

I was unaware he passed. I shall have a dram in his memory. 

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
6 hours ago, GaryT said:

Tipping back a big freaking pour of this really nice GKS selection in honor of Brett (aka Scotch Trooper), who passed yesterday.  Only got to meet him once, but was a big fan of his work, may he rest in peace.

 

IMG_20210212_141457.thumb.jpg.387f967760eb7ce8cdedf6c215ff2eed.jpg

 

 

 

We were fortunate to get a chunk of that barrel for our store. Don’t really remember the full story of how that happened but it really was an excellent pick! Such a shame but pancreatic cancer is cruel disease that is very difficult to treat.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Decided to open a Christmas present From my big brother of Midleton Very Rare 2019.  Delicious pot still vegetal notes, and plenty of creamy sweet nougat and other things I can’t even begin to put a finger on.  There’s a ton going on in this whiskey.  Just a small pour tonight, but I am super intrigued by what I’ll find with it in my future pours.  

08B08CD6-6C7B-4868-896A-6F85809C6E75.jpeg

  • I like it 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.