Jump to content

What foreign whiskey/whisky are you drinking 2021?


Harry in WashDC

Recommended Posts

tanstaafl2
12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Decided to open a Christmas present From my big brother of Midleton Very Rare 2019.  Delicious pot still vegetal notes, and plenty of creamy sweet nougat and other things I can’t even begin to put a finger on.  There’s a ton going on in this whiskey.  Just a small pour tonight, but I am super intrigued by what I’ll find with it in my future pours.  

08B08CD6-6C7B-4868-896A-6F85809C6E75.jpeg

 

Nice present! Those bottles have gotten damned expensive in recent years. Used to be a decent value once upon a time although bottling at 80 proof was always a bit of a disappointment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • beasled

    58

  • LvR Mike

    20

  • Marekv8

    20

  • B.B. Babington

    15

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay, don’t nobody faint. The Weller Whore is partaking of a “foreign” whiskey this evening. 😮   Many, many years ago, CC and Coke was my mixed drink of choice. I graduated to Crown and Coke

Laphroaig 10 CS in the glass tonight. Big dram, this. Lovely.

This has really improved over the course of the bottle. 

Posted Images

Jazz June

Returned to a bottle of Yamazaki 12 after a long break from it. It’s nice but at its current price you can get a comparable Scotch single malt for quite a bit less.

Link to post
Share on other sites

First pour of Tomatin 14 yr port, and the nose is BIG TIME port (like, maybe someone threw a dash of whiskey in this glass of port).  Initial nosing this was borderline offputting - just way too strong, but more time in the glass it backs off just a tad.  On the palate there is a bit more balance, although still heavy on the port.  Thinking I need to do a blind sbs with this and some Glenmo 14 yr Quinta Ruban, which I really like and don't recall being as aggressive with the port maturation.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracked a Ledaig 14 yr, and am just loving it - thick, NCF peaty, fruity goodness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
dad-proof
2 hours ago, GaryT said:

Cracked a Ledaig 14 yr, and am just loving it - thick, NCF peaty, fruity goodness.

Awesome, sounds delicious! It's been too long since I've had Ledaig. I assume this is a independent bottling?

Link to post
Share on other sites
dad-proof

An incredibly hectic week at work, so went for a dram of CB Flaming Heart to start the wind down. Next pour TBD, but definitely a 2 drink night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I picked up Langs Full and Smoky 46% blended Scotch.  First pour and my reaction is positive.  At 92 proof, it's a bit more substantial compared to some other blends.  I'll try it a couple times before I come up with too many adjectives.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Awesome, sounds delicious! It's been too long since I've had Ledaig. I assume this is a independent bottling?

It is - G&M (and snagged locally which was a surprise, as my first experience is one I bought from across the pond).  If you're interested, PM me and I'll share the location (they had a handful on the shelf).

 

 

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
beasled

Subtle.. is not what this is. And it is good. Grain in your face with a sherry finish. Yum. 

20210303_211833.jpg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
LvR Mike
On 1/25/2021 at 7:30 PM, dad-proof said:

Bunnahabhain 12 while I finish up a presentation for work. This was my gateway Single Malt and it remains a favorite. The packaging has changed sometime since I bought this particular bottle.  

PXL_20210125_225119369.thumb.jpg.a4a8d2470dc8efa65fc4b7ee5c50a682.jpg

 

 

Whoa this looks cool. Is it the same general release Bunna12 or is this a special offering? I tried Bunna12 recently and loved it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
LvR Mike
On 1/28/2021 at 3:37 PM, beasled said:

20210128_203115~3.jpg

Absoulte beauty. Love the class. Do you have any other Bruichladdich scotches?

Link to post
Share on other sites
LvR Mike
On 2/18/2021 at 6:16 PM, Jazz June said:

Returned to a bottle of Yamazaki 12 after a long break from it. It’s nice but at its current price you can get a comparable Scotch single malt for quite a bit less.

I only seen one of these ever for $130. Is that a good price? I've only had 2 other Japanese whiskies but both were half the price. Was trying to commit but needed to see thoughts on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
beasled
34 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

Absoulte beauty. Love the class. Do you have any other Bruichladdich scotches?


I'm a big fan of their Port Charlotte 10, also got a single cask Bruichladdich 14 year on the go. They make some excellent whisky! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazz June
3 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I only seen one of these ever for $130. Is that a good price? I've only had 2 other Japanese whiskies but both were half the price. Was trying to commit but needed to see thoughts on it.

Virginia ABC has the MSRP at $126, so you probably won't find it for much less. But I don't think it's worth it. It's a single malt and for me, I could spend less on a very similar, if not better, Scotch single malt. Don't get me wrong, the Japanese make some good single malts and I'm not suspicious of Yamazaki like I would be with some other Japanese products, but the price is based on a very tight supply combined with a significant demand, not just the quality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
LvR Mike
3 hours ago, beasled said:


I'm a big fan of their Port Charlotte 10, also got a single cask Bruichladdich 14 year on the go. They make some excellent whisky! 

I'm not going to lie, the Classic Laddie is probably my favorite Scotch ever so it's weird that I haven't branched out to their other products. I'll give it a shot soon, for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
LvR Mike
1 hour ago, Jazz June said:

Virginia ABC has the MSRP at $126, so you probably won't find it for much less. But I don't think it's worth it. It's a single malt and for me, I could spend less on a very similar, if not better, Scotch single malt. Don't get me wrong, the Japanese make some good single malts and I'm not suspicious of Yamazaki like I would be with some other Japanese products, but the price is based on a very tight supply combined with a significant demand, not just the quality.

I'll keep my eyes open for it at a bar then maybe. It's a shame too because I want to LOVE Japanese whiskey but it's kinda hard to find hence it being overpriced these days huh

Link to post
Share on other sites
dad-proof
6 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Whoa this looks cool. Is it the same general release Bunna12 or is this a special offering? I tried Bunna12 recently and loved it.

Yup, standard release. They just updated the packaging.

Link to post
Share on other sites
beasled
10 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I'm not going to lie, the Classic Laddie is probably my favorite Scotch ever so it's weird that I haven't branched out to their other products. I'll give it a shot soon, for sure.

 

I've just finished my first bottle of the Laddie and it was great, I will be picking up another, though I also have some other bottles in stock - Islay Barley 2011 and the 2010 Bere Barley. Bruichladdich are a very curious distillery, definitely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
LvR Mike

Was looking for a bottom shelf blended whiskey with a little peat. Like a half the price JW Black but.... I didn't get the peat I thought I would. Still not a bad drink just not what I thought it would be.

337874D9-A36B-45AC-81D2-0EFD1BAB3C35.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8
14 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

Was looking for a bottom shelf blended whiskey with a little peat. Like a half the price JW Black but.... I didn't get the peat I thought I would. Still not a bad drink just not what I thought it would be.

337874D9-A36B-45AC-81D2-0EFD1BAB3C35.jpeg

 

 

91889-13129.jpg.0e4bfb17dd4cbcc212ef5f1e78807ee2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
dad-proof
2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

 

 

91889-13129.jpg.0e4bfb17dd4cbcc212ef5f1e78807ee2.jpg

Agree. Black Bottle used to be a favorite, but about 5-6 years ago the blend changed to the point of being unrecognizable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
B.B. Babington

Glendronach 12 then compared to Glenlivet 12 and Knappogue 12

 

Preferred Glendronach hands down.  Flavorful, tasted older than mere 12 years.  Knappogue had some nice spicey notes.  Though I drink gallons of Glinlivet, on side by side it comes up a bit boring.

Link to post
Share on other sites
LvR Mike
5 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Agree. Black Bottle used to be a favorite, but about 5-6 years ago the blend changed to the point of being unrecognizable.

I feel as if I've heard great things about it but this didn't seem right. It being changed can explain that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2021 at 5:42 PM, Marekv8 said:

 

 

91889-13129.jpg.0e4bfb17dd4cbcc212ef5f1e78807ee2.jpg

I'll have to check that out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To celebrate the weekend, opened something new to me - Carlyle Blended Scotch 12 years old.  The box says it contains 20 different whiskies, and mentions Highland and Speyside.  At 80 proof, it's a very easy drinker.  To me, the 12 years seem to have greatly diminished perception of ethanol and sweet honey taste I sometimes detect from grain.  Overall, I'd say balanced.  No big peat, or smoke, seaweed, iodine, or that type of thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.