What foreign whiskey/whisky are you drinking 2021?

Harry in WashDC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

18 hours ago, flahute said:

Not going to ban you but continue to be amazed how you stay awake after all these pours!

lay on the couch watching spook movies, wake up next day still on the couch with TV on.  

2 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

lay on the couch watching spook movies, wake up next day still on the couch with TV on.  

Lol! 

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Lol! 

yea, I hope the newbies appreciate sacrifices made by others for benefit of the forum.

• I like it 3

Less easy sipping tonight. This is a punchy, grain heavy blend and it is rather fantastic. 

20210716_220136~2.jpg

• I like it 3

Am sipping on a 50/50 blend of Springbank 10 and Ledaig 10. It's rather good! The sweetness of the Springbank 10 works well with the brine of the Ledaig, and with the Ledaig being more peated than the Springbank, it also adds some smokey oomph to the Springbank. I shall be trying this again!

• I like it 2

This was a gift from my pop who enjoyed a bottle himself. It's very Speyside-y, spicy, tropical fruits, toffee, honey.. tasty stuff. Cheers pop!

20210725_210051.jpg

• I like it 2

After a long weekend spent in Kentucky and going through a huge selection of different bourbon and ryes, decided to finish it off back home tonight with this Glenlivet “Illicit Still” I picked up along the way.  

063AB23C-5999-4AEC-9CED-7EA21C2257D8.jpeg

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

After a long weekend spent in Kentucky and going through a huge selection of different bourbon and ryes, decided to finish it off back home tonight with this Glenlivet “Illicit Still” I picked up along the way.  

063AB23C-5999-4AEC-9CED-7EA21C2257D8.jpeg

How is it? 

This one was too much of a stretch to put in the rye discussion. I am quite happy with my find today. Posted in foreign whiskey, stashed with the ryes.

IMG_20210807_135441.jpg

My new pickup from the recent vacation— can’t believe the 10 year old  cork made it out alive. I really must be close to the “zen threshold,” as I returned with this single bottle and was quite happy to do so. 

D59C8AB0-4EB2-441A-A6AE-F517D813D10B.thumb.jpeg.9bea9c4a908229575f6d6e044458424e.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 7/13/2021 at 11:13 AM, Marekv8 said:

Pretty nifty TSA friendly kit… I find the Lagavulin 8yo in a flask amusing. I think it would be better without the glasses.

IMG_6383.thumb.jpg.e1c36a5bf3c5d7c8ff5036a250838055.jpg

Picked up one of these myself yesterday for a sbsbsbsbsbs. I hadn't tried the Singleton, Mortlach, or Talisker before. I found that I'm not a big fan of the Singleton but the rest were great. The Singleton is all honey and apples with a bit of cream and too low in proof.

I loved reading the tasking notes. After trying these all sbsbsbsbsbs they were pretty much spot on. I'm not a big seafood eater either but the "cocktail" recommendation of a splash Talisker over an oyster sounds interesting. The last time I ate oysters in Seattle they did have a lot of terrior.

Edited by mal00768

55 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Picked up one of these myself yesterday for a sbsbsbsbsbs. I hadn't tried the Singleton, Mortlach, or Talisker before. I found that I'm not a big fan of the Singleton but the rest were great. The Singleton is all honey and apples with a bit of cream and too low in proof.

I loved reading the tasking notes. After trying these all sbsbsbsbsbs they were pretty much spot on. I'm not a big seafood eater either but the "cocktail" recommendation of a splash Talisker over an oyster sounds interesting. The last time I ate oysters in Seattle they did have a lot of terrior.

Contrast is what you want! Talisker with a seaweed/peat character is too much of the same thing. Oyster in a shot of yellow Chartreuse is the way to go! Besides there is no point in wasting Talisker by pouring it over an oyster.

• I like it 1

Love this stuff. Seems a bit more coloured than it used to. No mention of natural colour either so I assume it is colourant.

20210808_204322.jpg

• I like it 1

Every time I go to this Cragganmore 12 yr, I like it more and more.  That nice crisp and fresh linen dried on clothesline out side nose is so nice.  But, the honey, magnolia, and honeysuckle notes accompanying this from nose to finish, make it positively scrumptious.  Mary Mac’s sweet tea good, and not a bit cloying…    Like say, Bobby and June’s sweet tea….  😘

• I like it 3

lovin' plain jane.  buchanan 12 year.  I've a phenomenal 15 year and 18 year always satisfies, but opted for 12.  Intuition proved correct, perfect.  Sitting on back deck as sun set and night came in complete with singing peepers (tree frogs), watching my cat play (and guarding for predators), tiki torch flames dancing shadows on yard.  Old me would drag out bunch o' 12's for side by side but tonight staying with this 12.  Zen? Tao? Laziness?  Just why mess with good thing.  Only hitch was just as I felt good with the Buchanan pour, sloshed some on my shirt, but I'm home so okay to smell like drunken sot.

• I like it 2

I guess it's been a malt groove for me this week. Earlier in the week I had some Glemorangie Signet and Oban 14 at a bar, enjoyed them both, which just made we want to break out a few bottles from my very modest beginner's stash of malt at home. Tonight has been Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14, Doublewood 17 and now some Nikka from the barrel.   None of these are spectacular but I've no complaints.

23 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I guess it's been a malt groove for me this week. Earlier in the week I had some Glemorangie Signet and Oban 14 at a bar, enjoyed them both, which just made we want to break out a few bottles from my very modest beginner's stash of malt at home. Tonight has been Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14, Doublewood 17 and now some Nikka from the barrel.   None of these are spectacular but I've no complaints.

Despite the fact that I am a fan of (good) rum I have never much cared for most malt finished in rum including the Caribbean Cask but I have always  found Nikka From the Barrel to be a solid whisky. My bottles are all from a few years ago so I hope it is not getting dumbed down of late!

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Despite the fact that I am a fan of (good) rum I have never much cared for most malt finished in rum including the Caribbean Cask but I have always  found Nikka From the Barrel to be a solid whisky. My bottles are all from a few years ago so I hope it is not getting dumbed down of late!

I do like the Caribbean Cask anyway.

I think I purchased this Nikka from the barrel in either late 2018 or early 2019.

On 8/14/2021 at 1:22 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Despite the fact that I am a fan of (good) rum I have never much cared for most malt finished in rum including the Caribbean Cask...

Offhand, I can't think of a caribbean I didn't enjoy.  though glenlivet carribbean reserve certainly not best of glenlivets, it's fine.  I really like Balvenie 14.  I find I especially appreciate it when it follows something else.  I was very surprised when drinking dickel BIB and followed with Balvenie 14 and the 14 really held it's own.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.