What foreign whiskey/whisky are you drinking 2021?

Harry in WashDC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Postbrandial or postprandial? For a moment I thought my dyslexia was kicking in...

Not familiar with the first one. Very familiar with the second!

Ha!  Some people need to watch their p’s and q’s.  It’s apparent that I need to watch my p’s and b’s!! 🤣

Edited by smokinjoe

2 minutes ago, beasled said:

Postbrandial is a drink after a brandy, surely.. :D

Ledaig 10 in the glass tonight.

20220213_203915.jpg

The liquid on that Ledaig 10 seems so much darker/sherried than what I’m used to— maybe it’s just the photo. 

4 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

The liquid on that Ledaig 10 seems so much darker/sherried than what I’m used to— maybe it’s just the photo. 

It's not the photo. There have been a few discussions as to the sudden darkness of it compared to older bottles. It's not beyond the realm of reason, you can buy some very dark single cask bottles of stuff like Bruichladdich that are under 10 years old for example, but it is a surprising change from something that used to look rather pale, definitely. 

Their website claims no added colour (though the bottle/packaging does not), and the scotch whisky authorising body are notoriously strict about such regulations, so benefit of the doubt and all that... it is very curious though. 

Some Proper No. 12 while listening to the wind howling outside. 

It gets mixed reviews, but I quite like it. 

IMG_20220216_191105.jpg

• I like it 1

Winding down with a Glenlivet 12 yr Illicit Still out by the fire.  

3655610A-BB9C-4984-94A5-DD7EA3D99CFE.jpeg

• I like it 6

On 10/13/2021 at 9:19 PM, Guss West said:

I've made a terrible mistake.  

I have a bottle of Nikka FTB about 1/4 empty sitting in the dry bar for the past two years.    When I first bought them, I returned two of them as it was not really to my taste.  What an idiot.  

Well.  A little air in the bottle to breathe for a bit along with my own palate maturation; and this dram is stunning.  I'm kicking myself for not buying more of this when it was $60/btl.  Last time I saw it, he wanted $90!  

I once called this a tuition whiskey; well, lesson learned.  Ouch.  

Bought a bottle of Nikka FTB for $70 last week and plan to go clean the place out soon.  

Fool me twice?  I won't get fooled again... ~GWB

After two sessions with the Tomatin 12, I'd call it not quite in my wheel house.  The main taste I get is apple (like the apple juice from one of my son's juice boxes).  The finish reminds me of ground black pepper.  Those aren't exactly the flavors I go looking for in a malt.  

Meanwhile, really enjoying the Black & White handle I found.  It's got a nice viscous mouth feel.  Flavors are herbal and citrus like, nothing off.

Can I like a blended Scotch better than a single malt - I guess so.

I'll take them on a case by case basis.

6 hours ago, PaulO said:

Can I like a blended Scotch better than a single malt - I guess so.

I'll take them on a case by case basis.

Blending is an art, no doubt. And let's not forget that most single malts are blends themselves, albeit from the same distillery. 

There are some brilliant blends out there.

• I like it 2

After a big lunch with my ladies, I’m out back working on a Longhorn Signatory bottles  that has been really hard for me to get into despite my love of the distillery.  Well, this afternoon paired with an AF Hemingway Signature, it is firing on all cylinders.  Damn.

3DB6A08E-5EC8-4CAA-8E27-28330E338484.jpeg

• I like it 3

No stogie, but a Glenfiddich 15 yr for mr, right now.  

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 1:58 PM, BigRich said:

After a big lunch with my ladies, I’m out back working on a Longhorn Signatory bottles  that has been really hard for me to get into despite my love of the distillery.  Well, this afternoon paired with an AF Hemingway Signature, it is firing on all cylinders.  Damn.

When did they start making whisky in Austin, TX????

This is certainly my fave expression of Laphroaig aside from the 10 CS.

Cheers! 

20220306_230225.jpg

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

When did they start making whisky in Austin, TX????

Stupid auto correct!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.