Considering Blending Evan Williams

WhsikeyPirate
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some of the criticism for Evan Williams SB has been its lower proof. What are your thoughts on blending it with the Bonded EW to increase proof? Has anyone tried this? All input/brainstorming appreciated. 

I've not heard of anyone doing that particular blend but we blend plenty of things here. It's inexpensive to try that one so go for it.

My only hesitation would be the youth of the BIB detracting from the single barrel. A little ECBP (it wouldn't take much) might work quite well.

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, flahute said:

I've not heard of anyone doing that particular blend but we blend plenty of things here. It's inexpensive to try that one so go for it.

My only hesitation would be the youth of the BIB detracting from the single barrel. A little ECBP (it wouldn't take much) might work quite well.

What would you think would be a good starting ratio? Also, are you thinking blending all 3, or adding the ECBP to the EWSiB. 

I like Steve's idea of using ECBP to not only pull the proof up, but to add complexity.

As far as a starting point for proof, that's completely up to you. If it were me I'd do a 94 proof to compare to the EC12 of the past and current EC. I'd also do a 100 proof to compare to the variety of HH BIB products available. I would think anything above 100 will be dominated by the ECBP portion of the blend. 

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, WhsikeyPirate said:

What would you think would be a good starting ratio? Also, are you thinking blending all 3, or adding the ECBP to the EWSiB. 

I'd do what whammie is suggesting above. If you don't want to get into the measurements to hit a specific proof just add a splash of ECBP and see what it does. Adjust from there.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, flahute said:

A little ECBP (it wouldn't take much) might work quite well.

Brilliant - I'm generally not a blender, but will have to try this. And agree with @JCwhammie that 94-100 proof would probably be the sweet spot.

Edit: I really used to like Elijah Craig, and when it first came out even preferred the non age-statement version to the back-of-label age statement version - a lot less tannic and better balanced. However, EC continued to taste younger and younger to point I stopped buying it and haven't had it in years. It kind of turned me off to all HH products aside from ECBP. An blend of EWSB and ECBP, both age stated, is an opportunity to get a little HH enjoyment where I know what I am getting, even when I am not looking to be proof blasted.

Edited by dad-proof

1 hour ago, dad-proof said:

Brilliant - I'm generally not a blender, but will have to try this. And agree with @JCwhammie that 94-100 proof would probably be the sweet spot.

Edit: I really used to like Elijah Craig, and when it first came out even preferred the non age-statement version to the back-of-label age statement version - a lot less tannic and better balanced. However, EC continued to taste younger and younger to point I stopped buying it and haven't had it in years. It kind of turned me off to all HH products aside from ECBP. An blend of EWSB and ECBP, both age stated, is an opportunity to get a little HH enjoyment where I know what I am getting, even when I am not looking to be proof blasted.

My experience with EC mirrors yours - I have no interest in the current non age stated version. I luckily have plenty of barrel picks from over the years to consume which means that the only HH product I buy right now is ECBP.

This conversation now has me considering buying an EWSiB which I've also sworn off of since the age statement dropped down to the 7yr range.

• I like it 2

Blending whatever, can be good, bad or indifferent to say the least. Whatever you decide to do, be sure to take some notes. Ya just never know. 🙄 As far as my own experiences are concerned, I’ve been pretty lucky. So far, my successes have far outweighed my failures.🤞Have fun and enjoy. 

Biba! Joe

• 2 weeks later...

If you like Evan Williams, I think you would enjoy any combination of EW.  Me, I prefer EWBIB, it's like a really comfortable pair of jeans.

On 3/11/2021 at 12:24 PM, flahute said:

This conversation now has me considering buying an EWSiB which I've also sworn off of since the age statement dropped down to the 7yr range.

I thought the EWSiB was in the 8 year range now? I’m going to go take a look at my recent bottle.

Edited by Bob_Loblaw

One more.  I did hear there will be 9 year EC barrel picks starting in May which would be very interesting. 

The EC we picked a few weeks ago was 12 years and tasted amazing at 133pf! Will be a bummer to only get it at 94pf but at least I can expect the viscosity and oak backbone of the old EC12.  And I may have a sample of the BP squirreled away somewhere. . . 

On 3/11/2021 at 6:47 AM, WhsikeyPirate said:

DO NOT FORGET!!  The main SB page, https://www.straightbourbon.com/,  has a "Calc" that you can use to figure proofs if you add water.  If you are adding booze to booze, the calc is trial and error.  As was suggested, try hitting 94 with, say, EW 86 (about 4.5 to 5 years I've heard) and EW BIB (about the same) with EC 94 and then adjust proportions accordingly to see how the tastes compare.

BE SURE to write down EACH STEP as you do it.  I can guarantee you will forget later on what you were doing. 

• I like it 1

On 3/11/2021 at 7:28 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Blending whatever, can be good, bad or indifferent to say the least. Whatever you decide to do, be sure to take some notes. Ya just never know. 🙄 As far as my own experiences are concerned, I’ve been pretty lucky. So far, my successes have far outweighed my failures.🤞Have fun and enjoy. 

Biba! Joe

Is there a thread with some of your blends?

5 hours ago, WhsikeyPirate said:

Is there a thread with some of your blends?

Here ya go. 😁

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.