Any sightings of the Maker's Mark FAE-01,

LGC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll rely on the more seasoned members to correct me if I'm wrong.  But if you only season/char/sear/toast one side of a stave, the untreated side isn't going to do much, over the span  +/- 9 weeks.  If my assumption is correct, the FAE-01 will be a muted RC6.

From the copy, for the FAE-01:

With our previous two limited releases, we used different unique staves to reach a specific taste profile. For our 2021 release, we took it further by only searing one side of our staves – leaving the other side raw – to extract separate flavors from each side of the individual staves.

Same info on the MM and MM Ambassador website(s). It also adds that the FAE-01 will be available nationwide, but only for a limited time. Ask your local retailer for availability in your area. Sorry, it’s the best I can do. 🙄

Biba! Joe

Plenty still at distillery as of last Thursday.  I opted for the 1L MM101 at the gift shop as the FAE was not an option to dip yourself.  Have to show the occasional restraint.

My cousin picked one up in Virginia early last week.  I have not seen/heard of any in Chicagoland yet.

I do not think this one will be too hard to come by once released in your area. I was a big fan of last years release and will happily purchase 1-2 of these at $60 if I am able.

• I like it 1

It started showing up at VA ABC stores last week. I grabbed a bottle on Friday for $60.

IMG_3003.JPG

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 8:37 PM, silverc said:

It started showing up at VA ABC stores last week. I grabbed a bottle on Friday for $60.

IMG_3003.JPG

Nice, I’ll be on the lookout for that price.

So, has anyone opened their bottle yet?  And if so, what do you think?  Worth the $60+ (here in Ky.)?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

So, has anyone opened their bottle yet?  And if so, what do you think?  Worth the $60+ (here in Ky.)?

I really liked it - but I like most of the MM picks.   Right on the line for me of quality vs price, but I will grab one more if I can find it and bunker.

6 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

Definitely worth it if you can find it at Retail ($60'ish). I liked it, but felt it needed a few drops of water to open it up. I wasn't really getting anything but Oak before the water. Also just spending some time with it. It reminded me of a heavily peated Scotch. The first few sips all you get is Peat before the other notes come through.

Edited by BDanner

6 hours ago, BDanner said:

It reminded me of a heavily peated Scotch. The first few sips all you get is Peat before the other notes come through.

and I’m out...😂

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, 0895 said:

and I’m out...😂

Moi aussi!  🤢

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

and I’m out...😂

Haha...Just to be a little more clear, what I was saying is that much like a peated scotch where peat is all you taste the first few sips, on this one the oak is all you get for the first few sips. Not saying I got any peat whatsoever from MM FAE-01.

• I like it 1

Went by a local Total Wine to try to checkout their WOODFORD RESERVE DOUBLE OAKED BARREL SELECT; as the website says ABV 59.8%.  but I found a review that complains that the ABV is the same as the regular Double Oaked (45.2%).  But they couldn't find the last bottle, listed as in stock.  So I picked up a 375L of the double Oak, to see if the general profile is to my liking.

Out of reflex, I scanned the aisle and what do I see, but 3 bottles of the MM FAE-01, $65.99.

As I'm new to +100 proof bourbons, my palette is still acclimating.  So my impressions are rudimentary, at best.  I compared The "neck pour" to the ABCFWS' Private Select, #6 (4 staves of the 46, 3x Seared French Cuvee and 3x Roasted French Mocha).   On the nose: I found them to  be incredibly similar.  The only distinguishing characteristic being the sharp ethanol of the ABC Private Select.; this carried over to the tasting.  I would compare the finish of the ABC to having a white pepper presence.  Where as the FAE-01 finish is more rounded and friendlier to my taste buds.  Hopefully after a short rest, the FAE-01 will separate itself from my other MM cask strength variants.

Peat: My references  are Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 16.  I did not find anything  on the FAE-01 that would resemble (in any manner)  the "smoke" that I enjoy from the Islay scotches.

MM2.jpg

On 3/25/2021 at 8:03 PM, BDanner said:

Haha...Just to be a little more clear, what I was saying is that much like a peated scotch where peat is all you taste the first few sips, on this one the oak is all you get for the first few sips. Not saying I got any peat whatsoever from MM FAE-01.

Ah,  I see what you mean.

I completely agree with your statement.

Glad I got to sample this, but it’s definitely not in my wheelhouse.

A8807CBE-66C6-4835-A166-143D099FAEF5.jpeg

• I like it 1

I’m on Binny’s email list. I just received an email with news about their latest new whiskey arrivals. Included is the MM FAE-01. As I said in another thread, I’ve come around again in my appreciation for MM and some of their different products. I’m gonna pass on the FAE-01. Their price is $64.99. I can get two MM 101’s for that. A while back I took a flier on a ps MM 46 pick that was really good. So good, I bought another. I’ve also purchased several other MM products lately that I really enjoy. I’m a firm believer in luck. That being said, I think I’ve pretty much run out my string of it over the last few months. 🙄 “Know what I mean Vern!” 🤔

Biba! Joe

Went MM101, the FAE, then last years SE4 (or whatever it’s called) in that order with the wife and BIL over the course of a few hours. 

The MM101 was well received, but both LEs were a clear cut above. This years release was fruity while last years was more caramel, vanilla, and oak. Very different, both great. I’ve never had the RC6 to compare. 

I’ll buy one more if I can at $60-$65. 

392A2FDD-4635-4145-A4FC-E710861D19FC.jpeg

• I like it 1

Does this mean that at some point Maker's Mark was contemplating a watered down 2021 or is there such a wide range in ABV, batch to batch ?

(from official channel on YouTube)

image.png.e8f56245f49b495a6da6288704fee8d1.png

On 3/27/2021 at 10:32 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m on Binny’s email list. I just received an email with news about their latest new whiskey arrivals. Included is the MM FAE-01. As I said in another thread, I’ve come around again in my appreciation for MM and some of their different products. I’m gonna pass on the FAE-01. Their price is $64.99. I can get two MM 101’s for that. A while back I took a flier on a ps MM 46 pick that was really good. So good, I bought another. I’ve also purchased several other MM products lately that I really enjoy. I’m a firm believer in luck. That being said, I think I’ve pretty much run out my string of it over the last few months. 🙄 “Know what I mean Vern!” 🤔

Biba! Joe

I lied. 🤥 💩

I was out running errands today and stopped in a LS to say hi to the manager. We chatted a while, and believe it or not, I mostly listened. 🙀 The manger complained to me about all the stuff he hasn’t been able to get lately. Imagine my surprise when I spotted a MM FAE-01 on the shelf. Even more surprising was the fact that it was $5.00 cheaper than Binny’s. Add to that, the prices on most items at this store are far from the cheapest in town. I just couldn’t walk away from it. 😏

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I lied. 🤥 💩

I was out running errands today and stopped in a LS to say hi to the manager. We chatted a while, and believe it or not, I mostly listened. 🙀 The manger complained to me about all the stuff he hasn’t been able to get lately. Imagine my surprise when I spotted a MM FAE-01 on the shelf. Even more surprising was the fact that it was $5.00 cheaper than Binny’s. Add to that, the prices on most items at this store are far from the cheapest in town. I just couldn’t walk away from it. 😏

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Now that’s definitely an acute case of whisky nervousia. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

Now that’s definitely an acute case of whisky nervousia. 

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

^^^^Don’t feel too bad Joe, I picked  one up yesterday.😉

Thanks guys. I’m kinda glad I bought it. I heard a rumor there’s no more MM 101 around. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.