What SW do you have?

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ive always wondered what you heavy hitters might have tucked away.  think I have only one bottle of SW distillate but im sure some have more. Do any of you have a bunker full or some photos of the old days?

I have a Weller 19 barrelled  in  1980 and I hope that makes it to my daughters wedding or my future grandchilds birth perhaps. Will try and get a pic posted if this thread sticks around.

• I like it 2

along these lines, it would be nice if some folks could list the most recent and final bottlings (or blends including some) of the real SW.

Does Blade and Bow 22 still contain any?

I’ve had a few SW bourbons over the years. These were mainly Old Fitz BIB’s, Old Fitz Primes, and a few Weller’s. I have a liter of Old Fitz BIB open, a 200 ml Old Fitz BIB, a 200 ml 7 yr Louisville Weller SR, and a tax stamped 7 yr Louisville Weller SR in the bunker. I’ve had other bourbons that were supposedly SW distillate, but I won’t include them because of the questionable provenance. Thanks to members here, I’ve also tasted a few others. 

Biba! Joe

ps The tax stamped Weller SR liter isn’t in the pic below because I have it stored elsewhere.

image.jpeg

• I like it 6

I've been nursing a 1.75L of WSR 7 year 1991//1998 since 2016 or so.  Probably halfway through the bottle at this point.

• I like it 4

Very Extra Old Fitzgerald 10 year gift set.  Distilled in 1956 under Julian Van Winkle's ("Pappy") presidency and bottled in 1966 (the year I graduated from high school) during Julian Van Winkle II's term at the helm.  Took to my friends at Skinner Auctions for an appraisal but, after getting up off the floor after learning the price, decided to keep it and share with The Boss and my favorite Master Mixer (Nancy) on the left coast, hopefully next year.  🥳

Very Extra Old Fitzgerald to Skinners.jpg

Gold veining on shot glasses and bottle, high shoulder fill.  It's gonna' be great!   🥰

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 14

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Very Extra Old Fitzgerald 10 year gift set.  Distilled in 1956 under Julian Van Winkle's ("Pappy") presidency and bottled in 1966 (the year I graduated from high school) during Julian Van Winkle II's term at the helm.  Took to my friends at Skinner Auctions for an appraisal but, after getting up off the floor after learning the price, decided to keep it and share with The Boss and my favorite Master Mixer (Nancy) on the left coast, hopefully next year.  🥳

Gold veining on shot glasses and bottle, high shoulder fill.  It's gonna' be great!   🥰

GeeTen, let me introduce myself.  My first name is "The" and my last name is "Boss".  Just let me know when we're partaking of this wonderful bottle. :D

• I like it 3

We finished off this summer with our neighbors at the beach a SW Old Weller Antique that I found many years ago while on the road to the shore.   It was a unique pour,  with a blackberry jam sweetness.  

I have one or possibly two remaining SW bottles.   The definite SW is a tax-stamped Old Fitz BIB.   The probable is a Van Winkle Lot B that I found about 15 -17 years ago.  Will need to check to see if there is a date code or other indication that it's the real deal.  I recall enjoying its sibling,  but not as much as the blackberry bomb we shared this summer.  That one qualifies as gold-veined legend.

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

1 hour ago, CardsandBourbon said:

GeeTen, let me introduce myself.  My first name is "The" and my last name is "Boss".  Just let me know when we're partaking of this wonderful bottle. :D

And I'm Nancy. 🤣  Frank...I was BORN in 1966. Does that count?

I did get to enjoy a 1973 (?) DN at a friend's house on Saturday.

20211218_215129.jpg

• I like it 5

13 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’ve had a few SW bourbons over the years. These were mainly Old Fitz BIB’s, Old Fitz Primes, and a few Weller’s. I have a liter of Old Fitz BIB open, a 200 ml Old Fitz BIB, a 200 ml 7 yr Louisville Weller SR, and a tax stamped 7 yr Louisville Weller SR in the bunker. I’ve had other bourbons that were supposedly SW distillate, but I won’t include them because of the questionable provenance. Thanks to members here, I’ve also tasted a few others. 

Biba! Joe

ps The tax stamped Weller SR liter isn’t in the pic below because I have it stored elsewhere.

image.jpeg

Would you describe the OF as something special? Markedly different from anything in production now?

8 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Would you describe the OF as something special? Markedly different from anything in production now?

I’ll get back to you on this FH. I have to think about it some more. It’s complicated. 

Biba! Joe

In my great dusty hunting craze of 2007-08, I came across a good amount of S-W whiskey. Louisville-bottled 80s through mid-90s ORVW 10 and 15, OWA, Weller 12, and a few old tax-tripped Old Fitz BIBs. I did happen upon some of the early bottlings of William Larue Weller, most of which I passed on to people who would appreciate it more than I would.

The most notable thing about S-W bourbon to my palate was a cotton candy note that came through even with 12 years of age and oak. The Wellers I had from that era were tremendous whiskeys, loaded with dried fruit notes and that hit of cotton candy. That said, I had a 90-proof Rebel Yell with a tax strip that was probably S-W whiskey, too, and it was so-so, a bit thin. I went back through my old tasting notes here to double-check my memory that it was nothing special. Like any other distillery, they were capable of making a meh bottom-shelfer.

In the end, S-W bourbon wasn't as much a treasure to me as some other dusties I happened across. National Distillers OGD and the wonderful Russell's Reserve 10/101 and WT 12s were heavy hitters, too, and I'm a rye-recipe guy, generally. Nevertheless, there's nothing exactly like those S-W wheaters on the market right now IMO. Lots of great bourbon available, though, and I won't cry about drinking MM 101 or MMCS to get my wheater fix.

• I like it 6

At this point, pretty sure I have no SW distillate in the bunker.  I do have an Old Fitz 12 left, but did the math and it must be post SW production by a couple years.

I have tried several different SW made Bourbons in the past: OF Prime, OF 1849, VSOF 12 year.  When I turned 21, a friend gave me a bottle of VSOF 12.  Someone told him it was "good".  This was the late 1980s, so obviously SW.  My friends and I pounded shots and finished the bottle in two or three sessions. 🥃🤪

Overall, my impression of SW whiskey is - easy to drink, no rough edges, maybe a slight nutty or malty aftertaste.  Beyond that, nothing really stands out.  Maker's is the true heir apparent to SW, but please don't tell the taters.

• I like it 4

7 minutes ago, PaulO said:

At this point, pretty sure I have no SW distillate in the bunker.  I do have an Old Fitz 12 left, but did the math and it must be post SW production by a couple years.

I have tried several different SW made Bourbons in the past: OF Prime, OF 1849, VSOF 12 year.  When I turned 21, a friend gave me a bottle of VSOF 12.  Someone told him it was "good".  This was the late 1980s, so obviously SW.  My friends and I pounded shots and finished the bottle in two or three sessions. 🥃🤪

Overall, my impression of SW whiskey is - easy to drink, no rough edges, maybe a slight nutty or malty aftertaste.  Beyond that, nothing really stands out.  Maker's is the true heir apparent to SW, but please don't tell the taters.

Is there any similarity to anything coming out of BT today or are BTs offerings a completely different animal?  

The most recent BT wheat recipe bourbon I've tried was the new label Weller SR.  It had a rather strong cinnamon component in the nose.  Beyond that, it became boring.  I say, completely different animal. 

On 12/22/2021 at 7:17 AM, GeeTen said:

Oh, that's an auction house.  I thought it was a picture of the entrance to your bourbon cellar!  😀

• I like it 1

How funny - I was just talking to my friend about the bottle of SW PVW 20 year we opened and drained on my wedding day. Myself and the wedding party did it right and quaffed from paper cups that glorious afternoon.

• I like it 8

None, there it is lol.  Was too young/late to the game to acquire any SW distillate.  I'm trying to make up for lost time and learn from my mistakes with rum and get as much "unobtainium" while I still can.

I really liked the S-W distillate I tasted for the most part; I want to emphasize that.

I also enjoyed getting to know the North and Central Texas countryside by hunting dusties.

I don't regret a sip from any dusty bottle.

That said, I've enjoyed whiskey a whole lot more by focusing on the bottle in front of me instead of the one that could have been or the one that got away or the one I'll get someday.

The first time I had OWA 7/107 from a gold-veined L'ville bottling, I couldn't believe what I was tasting: spice and leather and cotton candy and berry jam and nuts and malted milk balls. Like a kid in an old-time candy store. I thought it was the best whiskey in the world.

When I poured a nip of ND-era Sunny Brook from a half-pint bottle into a rocks glass and caught a whiff of hay and Kentucky sunshine, it was the best whiskey in the world.

When I had an hour to savor a generous pour of Old Charter 12/90 full of dried dates and toffee, it was the best whiskey in the world.

When I've had a long day of yard work, a pull from the freezer bottle of Fighting Cock or Mellow Corn is the best whiskey in the world.

When I've just finished a marathon of essay grading and put the semester to bed, the bottle of RR SiB I've saved back is the best whiskey in the world.

And here in about a half an hour, I'll tip a bottle of Old Tub BIB into my favorite rocks glass and sip it in front of the Christmas tree. I'll think about how Beam has brought out what amounts to an old-fashioned bourbon-nerd whiskey with magnificent packaging and labeling, slapped a sub-$20 price on it, and released it just about damned near everywhere, and marvel that people are out there chasing the six bottles of a $50 BIB or $100+ barrel proof that HH or BT sent for the entire state.

And it will be the best whiskey in the world.

• I like it 12

22 minutes ago, TBoner said:

I really liked the S-W distillate I tasted for the most part; I want to emphasize that.

I also enjoyed getting to know the North and Central Texas countryside by hunting dusties.

That said, I've enjoyed whiskey a whole lot more by focusing on the bottle in front of me instead of the one that could have been or the one that got away or the one I'll get someday.

The first time I had OWA 7/107 from a gold-veined L'ville bottling, I couldn't believe what I was tasting: spice and leather and cotton candy and berry jam and nuts and malted milk balls. Like a kid in an old-time candy store. I thought it was the best whiskey in the world.

When I poured a nip of ND-era Sunny Brook from a half-pint bottle into a rocks glass and caught a whiff of hay and Kentucky sunshine, it was the best whiskey in the world.

When I had an hour to savor a generous pour of Old Charter 12/90 full of dried dates and toffee, it was the best whiskey in the world.

When I've had a long day of yard work, a pull from the freezer bottle of Fighting Cock or Mellow Corn is the best whiskey in the world.

When I've just finished a marathon of essay grading and put the semester to bed, the bottle of RR SiB I've saved back is the best whiskey in the world.

And here in about a half an hour, I'll tip a bottle of Old Tub BIB into my favorite rocks glass and sip it in front of the Christmas tree. I'll think about how Beam has brought out what amounts to an old-fashioned bourbon-nerd whiskey with magnificent packaging and labeling, slapped a sub-$20 price on it, and released it just about damned near everywhere, and marvel that people are out there chasing the six bottles of a $50 BIB or $100+ barrel proof that HH or BT sent for the entire state.

Great post @TBoner👌  You made it just under the wire for post of the year consideration. 👍

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, TBoner said:

And, on December 23, just 8 days before the end of this year, we have SB Post of the Year.  👍🏻

• I like it 3

5 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

And, on December 23, just 8 days before the end of this year, we have SB Post of the Year.  👍🏻

Confirmed.

• I like it 2

Wow, guys. Thanks for the kind words!

I don't know anything about Post of the Year; until the last month I hadn't been around here in ages. But I really do appreciate the kind sentiments.

• I like it 2

Only S-W stuff I ever had was 3 or 4 handles of OF BIB I found many years ago....fishnbowljoe ended up with one of them. Sadly long gone, but I heartily enjoyed every drop. Almost exclusively neat, though I did drizzle some on some vanilla bean ice cream once....OMG!!! :D 

I have to say though...MM101 comes close to ticking a lot of those boxes for me, and I agree they're probably the closest heir apparent to SW....similar copper Vendome still, recipe that in reality came from Pappy if what I've read is true....

The thought of chasing dusties is fun, but it seems that ship has long sailed at this point. There's a lot of good stuff there now...despite being a rye recipe something about the Barton 1792 Small Batch reminded me a little of the OF, the dark fruit notes seemed similar. That's another tasty current bottle and it's affordable to boot. Bought my boss a bottle for Christmas...

Cheers to you all this season. :) 

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

• I like it 5

All S_W Pappy.  15 yesr old 2008. 20 year old 2207,2009, 2011.  Rye 2000,2005,2006,2010

Drank many S_W Pappys when it first came out.  

That eccentric old guy understood how to make it:}

Merry Christmas to all!

Pappy Town.jpg

• I like it 8

I have a fair amount of SW in bunker. Open though just a few older bottles of old fitz (1978 btl of 1849 and a 1960’s decanter) and rebel yell (1971 and 1990 I think). Rarely drink them as although they are interesting and taste pretty good I prefer others for most drinking occasions. 

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.