Bourbon for the Gazebo

angelshare
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If all goes according to plan, we are still planning to come to the 2004 Bourbon Festival. We understand that the custom is to bring bourbon to share during the evening gathering(s). At this point, from pooling resources with the assistance of a friend, I think we'll be able to bring 750ml of IW Harper 4 year (unsealed). I doubt anyone will be wowed - I am idiosyncratically partial to it, but I realize it is a young, simple whiskey. Still, I thought some of you folks who have never had it might want to try it.

Also, I wanted to invite anyone interested to peruse the Virginia ABC Price and Special Order List in case they saw, ironically, bourbon that is difficult to get in Kentucky. If so, I could make an effort to bring some to share. I thought we should post early, as, especially with the special order list, it often takes a while to get an out of stock item at VA ABC stores. We would love to bring an item of general interest as a very small token of appreciation for the fun we have had at Straightbourbon.com. toast.gif

Of course, we'll just make a stop at Toddy's to round out our gazebo stock if necessary.

If you check out the price list, beware - don't get your hopes up. The list is, in my experience, poorly updated in terms of availability. mad.gif

Dave and Tina,

Don't forget to bring items you wish to trade.

I am going to Montgomery County to see if I can find any old discontinued items on the shelves.

I'll probably bring one of my old Maryland Rye items to share.

Thanks for the reminder!

If there are unique bottlings in VA - or MD, as we may get up that way before September - that folks might be interested in having in their collection, let us know here or via private message. Never having done this before, I don't have a sense of what is "tradeworthy" at the festival.

I don't have a sense of what is "tradeworthy" at the festival.

Some are more than others but basically anything that is unavailable to a person might interest them. Even down to the bottom shelf. I was able during the sampler to hand off a couple "Pendenis Club" Old Forester, 7 year for some David Nicholson, both are available in the respective markets but basically it is Louisville only for the Pendenis and a few states for the David Nicholson.

Anything you can't trade can be donated to the Getz auction.

I can bring the DN for any who need it. Anyone who wants it, send me a PM.

Hey, I have an idea (rare indeed, but it happens). I will start a trading thread where people can post a bottling they are looking for and the follow up can be via PM. Hope it doesn't eat up too much server space.

Many folks have never had "The Fox", Virginia Gentleman.

You might want to bring a few.

Many folks have never had "The Fox", Virginia Gentleman.

You might want to bring a few.

Thanks for the tip! Are you referring to the "standard" one, or the VG 90 with the gold wax?

If anyone has a particular interest in trading VG or VG 90, let me know here or via PM. It might help me gauge the level enthusiasm for it. Also, if it's something that many folks have never had, I could bring one for gazebo sampling, too.

The VG 90 is "the fox." It has a fox hunting scene on the label and a fox head seal.

I may have some Wathens to trade. Would anyone be interested?

BourbonitisBlues

Did you find anything in Montgomery county? I stopped by there and picked up a few bottles of Wathen's for $17.99. What a deal!

Howie

Unfortunately, the day I intended to drive to the store, I had some late developing client responsibilities and couldn't find the time . I will try again early next week.

You always find something good on those shelves!

Which store do you usally go to? What have found intersting on those shelves? Maybe if you have time we could get together before you head back to Baldwin. toast.gif

Should there be a "gazebo party" for those that can't get to Bardstown in September? confused.gif

Howie

Should there be a "gazebo party" for those that can't get to Bardstown in September?

Howie,

I,ll be going to Bardstown in September, but your idea is one to further pursue. The New York crowd gets together and it would be great if the Middle Atlantic members planned something later in the year. Another option could entail all of the East Coast members.

I'll send you a PM on the Montgomery County stores.

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to add - there are a couple of corn whiskeys available here. Don't know if anyone is interested, or if they are available widely. I think a couple of brands are JW Corn, Mellow Corn, and Virginia Lightning. I've never tried any of them. If you have an interest in trying one or trading, post a response or send me a PM.

toast.gif

And happy 4th!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got in my stash of Black Maple Hill and am looking to trade for Lawrenceburg bottles. I have 11, 14, 16, and 21 year Bardstown BMH and an 18 year rye. PM me if you are interested. See ya at the gazebo!

Based on the number of SB.com'ers coming this year, I'm going to add folding chairs to my "list" of things to bring. Since I've got so much bourbon to bring for trading, I'm making this my first road trip in a long while....about 1000 miles per the route calculated by www.mapsonus.com. Val said "__ll no" she wasn't driving that far so she'll be coming into Louisville Thursday afternoon/evening (ps she may be looking for a ride to Bardstown if anyone else is coming through Louisville on Thursday....thanks). Anyway, my "list" for the trip currently looks like this:

1 case of mixed Bourbons/Ryes for trading

1 WT 12yo for the Gazebo

1 BMH 16yo for the Gazebo (the new one)

2 folding chairs

glasses for bourbon (sorry Cliff, I can't get an ice cube into a flask)

golf clubs

cigars

camera

charcoal grill and accessories for a late night grilled snack

case of Celis White (for Bob)

1/2 case red wine for Val, Leslie, Patty, et al

wine glasses

event tickets

I know I'm forgetting something, but the list is a work in progress. What have I forgotten?

Looking forward to it.

Randy

Randy, if they let you mix and match 6 packs at your local store, could you please get me a mixed sixer of whatever celis' your store may have? Bob has told me numerous times how good Celis is and I would like to try it as much as he. Thanks in advance! toast.gif If I could get something for you here in NY (like Brooklyn beers for example) just ask.

Just curious -- I'll be a newcomer to the Festival this year and arriving Friday, after the festivities have already begun -- are there any 'hours of operation' (official or otherwise) for the gazebo, or are there pretty much always SB.com'ers there?

Wow Randy, you prepare like I do, making lists months in advance. Pretty good idea bringing extra chairs. I'll bring a few with me since I have a pickup truck and plenty of room in the back.

Looks like we'll be well stocked with BMH this year, I'm bringing a bottle of 21 year old as well. We'll have to open them side by side and see what a difference 5 years makes. yum.gif

I'll also be coming through Louisville on Thursday so let me know when Val's flight is scheduled to arrive. Maybe I can coordinate a time to meet her at the airport. That's just down the road from Liquor Barn isn't it? How convenient. lol.gif

Dane.....Chairs will be in short supply....particularly after having a few drinks. Looking forward to the BMH matchup. If someone will add a 14yo and an 18yo, that would be special. Once Val makes her travel arrangements, we'll see if that matches your schedule. And yes, the airport is very near the Fern Valley (?) Liquor Barn.

I've already amended the list by adding an ice chest for the beer and soft drinks.

Randy

Randy,

If you have an extra 6 pk of the Celis (White), I'd be interested as well.

Omar

No problemo....although since this is a road trip, I'm not sure how much makes it to Bardstown. I had better check the open container laws between here and Kentucky!!!

I'll bring 2 cases of mixed Celis beer....mostly Celis White.

Randy

Don't forget the 11 year BMH. OK, maybe I shouldn't forget the BMH. Good thing we are driving down, too. Gonna be geared up with lots of goodies.

Glad to hear you are making it! I look forward to meeting you. Don't be surprised if you see your name on a t-shirt or something.. wink.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.