What is the highest proof bourbon you’ve ever had?

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This was triggered by an article on a new Jack Daniel’s release at 77% abv. The highest that I have had has been in the 125-130 proof range. I need a bit of water or an ice cube to enjoy it. I know that these very high proof bourbons are sometimes called hazmat bourbons. Just wondering waht others had tried and if they liked it. 

9 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

This was triggered by an article on a new Jack Daniel’s release at 77% abv. The highest that I have had has been in the 125-130 proof range. I need a bit of water or an ice cube to enjoy it. I know that these very high proof bourbons are sometimes called hazmat bourbons. Just wondering waht others had tried and if they liked it. 

I actually found the JD Coy Hill to be a delicious straight pour without ice.   Drinks less than the nearly 139 proof I tried.   Yikes!

• I like it 1

I can't recall the exact proof (130 something) but an early batch of Elijah Craig cask strength in the old style bottle - wow, just wow.  It was some of the tastiest and most concentrated stuff I ever tried.  Had to add a little ice to dilute or mouth got numb like with Novocain from the dentist.  Also be careful not to travel into the future like Buck Rogers. 🚀 

I recall some Stagg and WLW in the upper 130 range.

Given the chance to drink those, I had a few so....I somewhat recall drinking those.   😅

I have a bottle of JDSBBP CHHP open that's 141.6 proof.  To me, it drinks at least 15 points below its proof and has less burn than my last bottle of regular JDSBBP which was around 126 proof.   But the flavors are through the roof!  It's my first hazmat bourbon although I have had Don Q 151 proof rum that I bought to make hand sanitizer with at the beginning of the pandemic and found that to be surprisingly drinkable. 

2016 GTS 144.1. I've had the hazmat ECBP also.  I don't remember the year or the proof.

• I like it 4

Had the JD Coy Hill at 144. Pretty amazing stuff. Chris Fletcher said he was getting up to 165 proof from that warehouse. Said he couldn't bottle it because it was pushing the cork out. Was going to consider putting 700 ml into the 750 ml bottle to see if that would work.

ECBP C919 I have open at the home and half empty is 136.8 I believe.  And it is delicious!  So much so that I have 2 in the bunker.  Also recently purchased (at Christmas 2021) a ECBP PS from my local which is 140.2.  Have not opened that one yet!

well, not bourbon, but highest proof "whiskey" I've had neat was 200 proof.  note my avatar

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, fosmith said:

I have a bottle of JDSBBP CHHP open that's 141.6 proof.  To me, it drinks at least 15 points below its proof and has less burn than my last bottle of regular JDSBBP which was around 126 proof.   But the flavors are through the roof!  It's my first hazmat bourbon although I have had Don Q 151 proof rum that I bought to make hand sanitizer with at the beginning of the pandemic and found that to be surprisingly drinkable. 

The hand sanitizer?😂🤪😂

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, fosmith said:

What is "CHHP" ?

Thanks!

Looks like I’m gonna be a copycat here, but not in the way y’all probably think. 🤨 I was gonna chime in with a +1 with  @GeeTen and the 2014 WLW @ 140.2 proof. I took a look at my spreadsheet, and I saw I missed that one. I went through a WLW drought from 2013-2016. As it turns out, I had more GTS’s over the years than I thought. :o So I’m joining @BourbonJoe, @tsangster and @Kyjd75

Here’s my list of the highest proof bourbons I’ve had.

2007 GTS-144.8 proof

2008 GTS-141.8 proof

2009 GTS-141.4 proof

2010 GTS-143 proof

2011 GTS-142.6 proof

The highest proof alcohol I ever had was 190 proof Spyritus back in 1977 when I was in the Army. Spyritus is available in several different forms today, but back then I believe it wasn’t (legally?) available. We had a unit party that summer. Lots of stuff including our infamous Everclear Lemonade. It was a bittersweet party. We had a helluva group of men and women, and this party celebrated our fantastic group before a partial breakup. A few of our folks were getting out of the Army, a few were getting transferred, and a couple were moving on to advanced schooling. One of the guys being transferred, Andy Czechkowski, was second generation Polish. He occasionally received “care packages” from Poland. Spyritus was almost always included in his packages. In a goat skin bag no less. 😎 He made sure that those of us that hadn’t had the “pleasure” of having Spyritus before got a big squirt right out of the goat skin bag. Holy Cow! 🥵 It even burnt when I took a piss later on. 😳

Biba! Joe

• I like it 10

12 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

coy hill high proof

Thanks!

I love JDSBBP and haven't had one that I don't like.   Our local LS has selected some outstanding barrels.

I just Googled the Coy Hill High Proof.  I'm a fan of high proof whiskey, (and would love to try it one day),but DAMN, that's expensive!

14 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

What is "CHHP" ?

Thanks!

Coy Hill High Proof.  Jack Daniels Single Barrel Cask Strength 2021 special release.  Released at proofs ranging from 137.x to 148.x

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

...I just Googled the Coy Hill High Proof.  I'm a fan of high proof whiskey, (and would love to try it one day),but DAMN, that's expensive!  

and hard to get.  I can usually get 2 or 3 allocated if go through the hoops and trouble, but only got 1 coy hill.  Plan to open it later this spring when can have some folks over to sit on back deck.

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

and hard to get.  I can usually get 2 or 3 allocated if go through the hoops and trouble, but only got 1 coy hill.  Plan to open it later this spring when can have some folks over to sit on back deck.

After a few pours, they'll be lying on the back deck. 😅

As long as they keep making the JDSBBP, (for $69.00 at our favorite LS),  it's all good.    I have a few bottles from one of their pick, and will grab a few more the next time I'm in the neighborhood.     

5 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I just Googled the Coy Hill High Proof.  I'm a fan of high proof whiskey, (and would love to try it one day),but DAMN, that's expensive!

On wine-searcher.com, liquor stores are charging $600 to $1,000 for a bottle.  I was lucky to get one at a little over msrp in the K&L lottery recently. 

Rumor has it that JD is going to do another CH release later this year so maybe those who missed out will get another chance...

• I like it 2

On 3/9/2022 at 6:49 AM, fosmith said:

Wasn't able to buy one but had a pour at a bottle share and thought so highly of it that I had another. Would have kept going but did not want to be "that guy". Totally agree with your assessment. 

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, flahute said:

Wasn't able to buy one but had a pour at a bottle share and thought so highly of it that I had another. Would have kept going but did not want to be "that guy". Totally agree with your assessment. 

smart move.  when you're not "that guy" you get invited to more tastings.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.