What is the highest proof bourbon you’ve ever had?

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 3/9/2022 at 11:46 AM, Kjbarth said:

Bookers Pigskin Batch. 127.3.

Well, new record for me. Last night I had some Putnam Single Barrel Straight Rye Barrel Proof at 131. From Boston Harbor Distillery.

Like some others, GTS 2016 at 144.1 proof.  I had a NEAT shot in a bar after lunch as "dessert".  Sipped it for about a half hour.  A (former? haven't seen him here lately) SBer who worked retail arranged for me to buy my own bottle from his employer at the then-MSRP.  I did.  I still have it.  Well, some of it.

• I like it 6

I never thought about it before but come to think of it I did have the 2016 GTS at bars, so my highest would have been that one at 144.1 proof.

Next to that that it would probably be Elijah Craig BP at 139.4.   I don't get the infatuation that new people having just 'discovered' bourbon seem to have with ultra high proof.  In my experience, ultra high proof like we are talking about here is very overrated. 

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

On 3/9/2022 at 7:54 AM, PaulO said:

Had to add a little ice to dilute or mouth got numb like with Novocain from the dentist. 

😳😳

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Kepler said:

I never thought about it before but come to think of it I did have the 2016 GTS at bars, so my highest would have been that one at 144.1 proof.

Next to that that it would probably be Elijah Craig BP at 139.4.   I don't get the infatuation that new people having just 'discovered' bourbon seem to have with ultra high proof.  In my experience, ultra high proof like we are talking about here is very overrated. 

Agree, sorta.  Other than the first sip of a high proof bourbon I'm not familiar with (and that one is ALWAYS a tiny sip), I almost always temper subsequent sips with drops of water.  Even the ECBPs get the water treatment, and I usually find that first neat sip of an EC BP to be pretty smooth but still add water "to taste".  Happy range for me seems to be 95-105 proof, the latter being, for example, where I stop with OGD 114 and water.

• I like it 1

Highest proof bourbon I've ever had was over 150. I was at a Heaven Hill experience that was part of the Bourbon Affair in 2017 (I think). We were going around to their various rickhouse locations as a sort of "terroir" study to see what the different locations impart on the bourbon. We tasted some great bourbon that day and the last stop was tied for the best. We were in one of the Deatsville rickhouses and as they were thieving the bourbon into our glencairns they revealed that we were tasting what was going to be that year's Parker's Heritage collection - the 11yr single barrel bourbon that would eventually be bottled at 122 proof if I remember correctly. They told us the proof of that barrel but I don't remember exactly only that is was over 150. The amazing thing is that there was no alcohol heat or hotness. They clearly picked a far superior barrel for our tasting. It was incredible and they let us get a second big pour if we wanted. One of the best bourbons I've ever tasted along with the 16yr old 99 proof barrel proof wheater we tasted earlier in the day. That barrel eventually ended up as Heaven Hill Select Stock that was sold in the gift shop. Unfortunately they blended it with another barrel and it wasn't near as good.

• I like it 7

Just heard that they found more Coy Hill and will be sold at the distillery only.

Not sure how much tho

2 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

Just heard that they found more Coy Hill and will be sold at the distillery only.

Not sure how much tho

Heard that too and that it's 375ml only. 

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

Heard that too and that it's 375ml only. 

Makes it more affordable?

I’m straight up scared of it! 😀 The last year or so I’ve moved away from the barrel proofs. Even when I proof down they don’t taste right. 

40A53E9F-C3B7-4D6E-B69D-7D262B576A4E.jpeg

• I like it 5

I think 2009 GTS at 141.4.  Have had a few north of 140 (6th release of ECBP at 140.2, and 2014 WLW at the same).  Always sipped these neat to start, but never afraid to add some water.

• I like it 4

At 151.6 proof it's a bit tough to wrangle, so I mainly use it to proof up baseline Angostura or rum-based liqueurs…

IMG_7775.thumb.jpg.91a95a68e71b399f3f19e9c89573d22f.jpg

• I like it 2

On 3/13/2022 at 12:01 AM, Kepler said:

I don't get the infatuation that new people having just 'discovered' bourbon seem to have with ultra high proof.  In my experience, ultra high proof like we are talking about here is very overrated. 

With you on this. I like my high octane juice as much as the next guy. It’s almost like people want to be over 140 just so they can call it hazmat. Lol. Personally I think mid 120s to low   130s is more my personal sweet spot.

On topic I’ve tried a hazmat ECBP and GTS, both fantastic. My JD Coy Hill came in at 137.8 I believe and is also wonderful. My cousin picked me up a 141pf JDCH but I won’t get that in hand until fall. 

Polish by marriage so familiar with Spiratus, but smart enough to avoid that stuff now. Though I’d probably take a swing from a goat bag given then chance. . . 😁

On 3/13/2022 at 12:01 AM, Kepler said:

I don't get the infatuation that new people having just 'discovered' bourbon seem to have with ultra high proof.  In my experience, ultra high proof like we are talking about here is very overrated. 

I think I can explain this...

Since my journey only started in 2017,  I remember very well how astounded I was in the higher proofs delivering so much more complexities & flavors; but after tasting several, you realize that there are good ones and not so good ones. It becomes a realization later that high proof doesn't mean better.

i.e. My first taste of ECBP was a 131+ proof extraordinary bar experience. I pick up my first bottle of ECBP at 130+ proof and it wasn't in the same ballpark. I was at least smart enough to know that 1 proof point wasn't the determining factor. Besides, I had a store pick of KC120 that killed my bottle of ECBP. Bought a case and a half of that one with only 1 left. 😪

• I like it 1

I think this Stagg would have been my highest proof.  An old pic from simpler times. 

In regards to ultra high proof, I very rarely if at all drink anything at the proof in the bottle. I'm a firm believer that adding water to a dram does absolute wonders. I like to play with the amounts and it varies from dram to dram and proof to proof, but I have absolutely no interest in licking the inside of a cask, thanks, no matter how Billy Big-Balls it makes you feel. Some things absolutely do work at the proof they are bottled but I can't recall ever having had a dram over 50%/100 proofies that hasn't been improved by even just a small amount of water being added, ever.  But that's me, and that's how I drink stuff. You do you. 

20161216_152359.jpg

• I like it 6

The highest I can recall was one of the early Stagg expressions which I believe was 144 proof and some change.  I no longer drink high octane whisky because the alcohol level numbs my palate so quickly I lose my tasting notes.  No point in paying for fuller flavor if I can't taste it.

• I like it 4

10 minutes ago, squire said:

The highest I can recall was one of the early Stagg expressions which I believe was 144 proof and some change.  I no longer drink high octane whisky because the alcohol level numbs my palate so quickly I lose my tasting notes.  No point in paying for fuller flavor if I can't taste it.

Squire! Long time no see. How ya’ been?

Biba! Joe

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Squire! Long time no see. How ya’ been?

Biba! Joe

Living large out in the country with four grandkids, three dogs and several surly cats.  The parental units are permanently working from home (mine) and everything I need is delivered by Amazon or Kroger.  Best local liquor store is 2.5 miles away and I have a reliable car.

• I like it 8

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

Happy Hump Day! This. Is. So. Good.

20220316_210534.jpg

Nice background bottles in the pic! Brings back some good memories (I think!).   🤣

On 3/16/2022 at 7:58 PM, squire said:

I have to concur. GTS is my highest proof.  But to the other point, I refuse to fight with my bourbon.  I avoid buying barrel proof and use water as needed.  I enjoyed barrel proof in my 30's.  Now 67, not as much.  The problem with a bunker if your taste changes.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

That would be a neat glass of William Larue Weller at Danny Meyer’s, now closed and missed,  North End Grill in Battery Park in Manhattan. It was on the company dime so I didn’t mind the price. Damn near blew the top of my head off. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.