Jump to content

What water of life did you purchase? - 2022


flahute
 Share

Recommended Posts

OK, Rich shamed me into starting a new thread for the new year.

 

I'll start: not a purchase technically but a client just gifted me a Glenfiddich 18yr. I've never tried this one so I look forward to opening it.

  • I like it 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll have something to post here tomorrow...

 

Gotta drive down about 30 miles to the Gold Coast store to pick up my Weller Full Proof raffle winner bottle!!!  There were only 60 bottles in this short barrel; I bet it's delish.      

 

I'll be darned if I'm going all that way for a single bottle.  Hoping to find a few whales while I'm there.  Some more Campbeltown Scotch is always welcome.   

  • I like it 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Made the drive, took the cash truck; went hog wild, but only ended up with one bottle of Scotch.  Good thing its a doozy!  

 

Paid $100 for the 2021 Batch 13 Laphroaig 10 CS today.  This one is a buy on sight for me.  The last one in the store.  

 

No Springbank, though; and not many bargains to be had for Scotch there.  

 

I did, however, spend ridiculous amounts on three bottles of Amarone today to celebrate a recent milestone career achievement!  Might as well get a case of spectacular wine, at least there's a case discount.  This place is known for their European wine selection; among the best I know of in CT.  

  • I like it 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 3:34 PM, flahute said:

OK, Rich shamed me into starting a new thread for the new year.

 

I'll start: not a purchase technically but a client just gifted me a Glenfiddich 18yr. I've never tried this one so I look forward to opening it.

 

game-of-thrones-got.gif

Edited by BigRich
  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 3:34 PM, flahute said:

OK, Rich shamed me into starting a new thread for the new year.

 

I'll start: not a purchase technically but a client just gifted me a Glenfiddich 18yr. I've never tried this one so I look forward to opening it.

Glenfiddich 18 is delicious. It’s one of my favorite “indulgent” daily drams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 1:43 PM, Guss West said:

Some more Campbeltown Scotch is always welcome.   

This is my Campbeltown gateway. 
 

7D8AB087-2391-417D-9AD3-EED1AC68A686.jpeg

  • I like it 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still feeling a wee bit peckish, I found myself in another specialist shop yesterday.  Some real gems here; might have to go back again soon.  No bargains, but some real rare selections.  Considering an IB Caol Ila, for example.  

 

Yesterday, I brought home a pair of Deanstons.  Love what this distillery and the entire portfolio of Distell group are doing lately. 

 

The Deanston 12 and the 2008 12-year oloroso cask Deanston both added to the collection.  Feels like some SBS sampling might be an informative tasting experience.  

 

I also picked up the 200ml x 4 gift pack of Johnny Walker.  I've not had 3 of the 4, and know this might be the best way to try the 18 and Blue label; since I'd never buy full bottles of these.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just back from an epic few days in Speyside, here's the loot. 

 

 

20220331_191658.jpg

  • I like it 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aye, we hunt the same drams B.  

 

Some real gems there; that BenRiach is crackin' whiskey!  

What are the deets on that Benromach?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Guss West said:

Aye, we hunt the same drams B.  

 

Some real gems there; that BenRiach is crackin' whiskey!  

What are the deets on that Benromach?  

 

Bourbon cask, 10 years old, 60.2%. I tried it at the distillery (after breakfast... hoo haaaa as Al Pacino might say). It could do with a little drop of water to take the very small kick at the end, but otherwise it was bourbony scotch perfection. 

Some photos of the trip here: https://imgur.com/a/o8oY3dn

Day 1 we drove up from Birmingham, stopped off at Tullibardine then Aberfeldy, headed up to Craigellachie for the night, stayed at the Craigellachie Hotel and had some drams in their bar. Visited Glenfarclas, Glenallachie, Cardhu and Benromach on Day 2 (with some beers and drams at the Highlander Inn); Day 3 was BenRiach, Dufftown (the town/shop), Glenfiddich and Glenlivet, then drove to Pitlochry for the night, visited Blair Athol distillery and then hit the road home, with a few shops seen in-between (hello Hazelburn). 

 

Great trip, some distilleries were closed (Aberlour), others still not allowing visitors (Edradour), but no complaints.

 

I did the trip with my dad, we've been talking about doing it for ages and never had the chance, so it was awesome to finally do. 

 

 

  • I like it 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, beasled said:

Just back from an epic few days in Speyside, here's the loot. 

 

 

20220331_191658.jpg

That GlenAllachie looks quite dark. I’m interested in hearing how it tastes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mal00768 said:

That GlenAllachie looks quite dark. I’m interested in hearing how it tastes.

 

I had a small taste at the distillery and it was quite heavy and earthy, not particularly sweet. I shall report back! 

 

Edit: it's a tawny port pipe cask, in case not clear from the photo.

Edited by beasled
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/28/2022 at 3:34 PM, Rhettro said:

Glenfiddich 18 is delicious. It’s one of my favorite “indulgent” daily drams. 

Correct you are! I went into the first sip wishing it was higher than 80 proof and was immediately amazed by how much flavor is present at that proof. This is one I will buy for myself when it's empty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, flahute said:

Correct you are! I went into the first sip wishing it was higher than 80 proof and was immediately amazed by how much flavor is present at that proof. This is one I will buy for myself when it's empty.

I believe it’s 86 proof here in the States. Which I think helps add additional richness and texture. 
 

Whatever the proof, I’m glad it’s reasonably easy to find, reasonably priced (considering) and just good stuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rhettro said:

I believe it’s 86 proof here in the States. Which I think helps add additional richness and texture. 
 

Whatever the proof, I’m glad it’s reasonably easy to find, reasonably priced (considering) and just good stuff. 

Ah! Good to know for the future. The client who gave me this is from Malaysia and this is an import bottle that she brought from there hence the 80 proof. As much as I like it already I'm looking forward those extra 6 points.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Ah! Good to know for the future. The client who gave me this is from Malaysia and this is an import bottle that she brought from there hence the 80 proof. As much as I like it already I'm looking forward those extra 6 points.

It’d be an interesting side-by-side, to see just how much of a difference six proof points make. Let know your findings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It started out simply enough with the Springbank 15 and went to hell from there.

The Old Rip 10 was a “right to purchase” MSRP lottery win-- the first in a while after a very dry fall/winter raffle season.

 

IMG_7866.thumb.jpg.5f61f7a1adca0027be44d029d1507ac9.jpg

  • I like it 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

It started out simply enough with the Springbank 15 and went to hell from there.

The Old Rip 10 was a “right to purchase” MSRP lottery win-- the first in a while after a very dry fall/winter raffle season.

 

IMG_7866.thumb.jpg.5f61f7a1adca0027be44d029d1507ac9.jpg

 

 

Enjoy the Springbank. For some reason prices on the secondary have skyrocketed to the point which I think I will have zero chance of seeing it again on the shelf at retail. I saw one in Scotland this week at £280. Easy pass given the last one I bought was £70.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, beasled said:

 

 

Enjoy the Springbank. For some reason prices on the secondary have skyrocketed to the point which I think I will have zero chance of seeing it again on the shelf at retail. I saw one in Scotland this week at £280. Easy pass given the last one I bought was £70.

 

 

 

I hear you. One of my New York liquor store contacts wrote Friday to tell me of the huge new increase in Springbank/Longrow/Hazelburn pricing (Springbank 15 is now $225.00 and the 18 is $365.00 at his shop, and they don't even hit the shelf)-- so I grabbed this 2019 bottling locally for the old price.

 

 

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

there's a reason we have been posting pictures of campbeltown bottles in this forum's threads for years. springbank was only ever heading one path.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, so whiskey douchebaggery is just not a ‘Merican thing!  🤣🤣🤣

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This gem was in an email blast yesterday from an European whisky shop-- incentivizing purchases with a chance to receive a 20mL sample. The Local Barley releases used to gather dust on shelves around here.

 

2040288824_ScreenShot2022-04-08at12_05_22PM.thumb.jpg.07d3abcd0b0f247a3573e78701aff06e.jpg

 

 

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

This gem was in an email blast yesterday from an European whisky shop-- incentivizing purchases with a chance to receive a 20mL sample. The Local Barley releases used to gather dust on shelves around here.

 

2040288824_ScreenShot2022-04-08at12_05_22PM.thumb.jpg.07d3abcd0b0f247a3573e78701aff06e.jpg

 

 

 

Good on them for doing that!

 

I had this email from a retailer last month...

 

Screenshot_20220409-134242_Gmail.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.