Hirsch 20 year old

sionilli69
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello all, looking forward to learning even more about my favorite pasttime, bourbon and everything about it.

My question - I have two bottles of the 20 year old Hirsch and have found three more that I can buy for $200 each. I can't seem to find a current estimate of what a bottle goes for. Any advice? Thanks,S69

In WA state, the control board has it listed at $215.30; that includes tax. There are 20 bottles in stock according to their web site. I'd like to try this sometime, but that is too much $$$$ for me.

Yeah, $200 is probably a bottom line for this bottling, which is all gone, according to distributor Henry Priess, except for what's currently available at retail.

$200 is what most online retailers were selling it for before they all ran out. IF you can find it for less, grab it/them. If you have never had it before and want a truly fine bourbon $200 is nice for a one time buy. I personally feel $200 is bordering, if not past, too much for any 'modern' bourbon...

The Hirsch 20 is definitely a fine bottle, but quality/price ratio, I'd go for the 16 year anyday.

The Hirsch 20 is definitely a fine bottle, but quality/price ratio, I'd go for the 16 year anyday.

agreed... I think that the 20 sort of loses something that the 16 has when you taste them side by side... The 20 is a great bourbon, but the 16 seems somehow more satisfying... maybe it's the fact that you can drink it and not feel like every sip is expensive... grin.gif

-chris

... for the Hirsch 16 y/o at this seemingly bargain price, see my earlier comments regarding this most recent bottling of the Hirsch 16 y/o. I stand by them. YMMV.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

As much as I hate to admit it, when I did a side by side, the new 16yo is not as good as the gold wax dipped 16. The smoothness and refined qualities are gone. It is still a good bourbon, worth $40 in my mind, but I would still rather pay more for the quality I found and miss in the gold wax expression. JMO

When and where was the gold-wax dipped bottle released? I have a gold foil version from the Chicago stores and some blue-wax dipped bottles that I first bought in the late 90's.

My personal taste is that at $40 the latest version is a good deal for a good whisky, but I would not pay the $60-$80 that it goes for in stores in NYC. It has been some years since I have opened one of the older bottles so I have not compared the 2 versions HTH but maybe I should avoid that and just continue to judge the new version on it's own merits.

Damn, you're lucky to have a 'few' of the blue dipped bottles. I've only been able to find one and that was because of the generosity of a fellow board member... I'd imagine those are the best in the hirsch 16 line.

The gold wax ones were released all over the place here in the US David. THe foil ones are the newest release ones... You should still be able to find the gold foil ones at smaller shops around the US. But at big places like Sams and Binny's I think all they have now is the new foil ones.

My single blue-dipped one was the first I got, last July when I originally started looking specifically for Hirsch. A local store had that single bottle left from a case he'd shelved years before.

As for the gold-foil ones, they've yet to appear around here, but a handful of stores still have the gold wax, recently re-discovered by their distributor after shelves had been depleted for a few months.

I’m in the process of buying A.W.Hirsch 16 YO. As far as I have been able to extract from this thread there are three “editions†one with blue wax, one with gold wax and one with gold foil.

Does anyone know of an edition with black wax? The label is different as well. I have attached a picture

post-588-14489811538738_thumb.jpg

I've seen that bottling before and as far as I know, it was an export only release of the 16 year Hirsch. Nice bottle; Would you have access to a 2nd that you could ship to the US? lol.gif

The label matches my blue-wax First Release, but the bottle and, obviously, the black wax mark it as something unseen here under normal circumstances.

Three bottles? smilielol.gif

I'm sorry. While I would love to help you all out, I'm afraid I would open Pandoras Box and my Inbox would get jamed.

Do not open that bottle.

It may be contaminated with congeners and C2H5OH.

I suggest you forward to me immediately for toxicological analysis.

horseshit.gif

Thanks for the concern. That's very kind. However beeing a true Wiking I think I can handel the risk. drinking.gif

This might ease the pain a little.

Town Wine & Spirits in Rhode Island has a limited amount of the Pappy Van Winkle 20yr for $60 a bottle.

888-811-6258

Once again, I sniffed out a bargain by expanding my horizons. Stopped in a little shop in Columbia Missouri on the way to KC and found two I had been looking for, WT12 and yes, Hirsch 20. This time, however, the Hirsch was at the old price (even though the proprieter said he knew it was no longer being made) of $125. Well, that was a no brainer. Here's the part that tore at me, they also had two bottles of the old style label Hirsch 16, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Anyone going through Columbia, they are at 817 Walnut Street (there or about). I'm ashamed of myself for not picking them up for someone else but this month is getting a little tight... frown.gif

Great finds. Don't feel too bad about the missed opportunities -- I know I've felt the same way recently, and I suspect all of us have (if not -- well, you have too much money!). Just last week, I passed up a gold-foil label, older WT 12 for the same reason -- would've tapped me out. But, I plan to collect some money and go back and see if it's still there next week.

We will be seeing the Hirsch 20yo at the Gazebo, right? Right?

lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

W e l l l l l l,

I'm waiting to hear back from my buddy Rick who was quite miffed at me for picking up the last bottle found here in St Louis for BSS on this forum instead of him. I can't remember but I think I told him the next one I found was his. Got to see whether he remembers it that way or not. Still, I have another special bottling or two to bring, out of the old grab bag. I just love surprises. toast.gif

BTW, I friend of mine found a couple in MN for about $89 and picked them up. Always worth looking for...

• 1 month later...

After several weeks of hearing the cries of those poor Hirsch 16 bottles with the original label cry out to me in my dreams, I headed off to Columbia with my buddy Rick on a rescue mission. Sure enough, both were right where I left them but I hadn't looked at the price tags last time I was there. One C note apiece. Well, I sucked it up, paid the man and even talked Rick into freeing the other from bondage. Here's a picture of the happy family reunion:

post-314-14489811607385_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.