What are the better Jack Daniel's offerings?

WhiskeyProposition
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a friend swinging by the JD gift shop in hopes of snagging one of their new small batch offerings. In the event it's not available, what(if any) are their more desirable bottles that might be harder to find outside of their gift shop? 

Last time that I was there (3 years back), they had several distillery only releases available (in 375ml, I believe).  An Eric Church release, too.  If they are continuing this program, your friend should do OK.  

Yeah, the kicker is he isn't a bourbon guy, he's just doing me a favor. So if they're out of the small batch, I'm really not sure what else to ask him to look for. 

I guess a distillery only release would be a good start. 

25 minutes ago, WhiskeyProposition said:

Yeah, the kicker is he isn't a bourbon guy, he's just doing me a favor. So if they're out of the small batch, I'm really not sure what else to ask him to look for. 

I guess a distillery only release would be a good start. 

Not sure what more to ask for beyond distillery only releases…

• I like it 1

Gotchya....yeah, just wasn't sure if there were decent offerings they had that are hard to find outside of the distillery. 

You could always call or email the distillery and ask about current distillery only releases or other options. It may be that the offerings change daily but it is worth a try.  It might help you provide him better guidance what to look for.

Edited by mbroo5880i

I’m really not trying to be a jerk here. Just relating something funny. My son and I have several friends and acquaintances that if asked what their favorite JD iteration was, they’d more than likely say Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire. Just sayin’. 🙄

Biba! Joe

14 hours ago, WhiskeyProposition said:

I have a friend swinging by the JD gift shop in hopes of snagging one of their new small batch offerings. In the event it's not available, what(if any) are their more desirable bottles that might be harder to find outside of their gift shop? 

I hear that the new Coy Hill High Proof Small Batch release is now available at the gift shop and selected TN retailers.  If you see that one, definitely grab it.  I was lucky enough to get a bottle of the Coy Hill SiB and it's is a remarkable whiskey.  Here's a YouTube review of the small batch. 

Beyond that, the new Triple Mash and Bonded seem to be getting a lot of positive press... 

• I like it 3

39 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I hear that the new Coy Hill High Proof Small Batch release is now available at the gift shop and selected TN retailers.  If you see that one, definitely grab it.  I was lucky enough to get a bottle of the Coy Hill SiB and it's is a remarkable whiskey.  Here's a YouTube review of the small batch. 

Beyond that, the new Triple Mash and Bonded seem to be getting a lot of positive press... 

If it's anything like some of their SBBP offerings, then I imagine it's a good one.     I have more barrel-proofers than I'll ever drink in this lifetime, including several excellent picks of the aforementioned JDSBBP, so I don't buy them anymore.   I'd make an exception for this one.

Had a friend who went last year and picked me up two different offerings in the 375ml bottles.  One was a barrel proof rye.  Not nearly as great as the LE offering a couple years back, but still pretty fantastic.  The other offering which I still find very interesting and wish I'd had him pick me up more than one of, was the Twin Blend which was part rye and part Tennessee whiskey.  This is still one of my favorites.  Pretty sure there were several other offerings also at the distillery in 375ml, but these were the ones that stuck out to me when my friend was there.

I found one of the 375s from my trip.  It is their Tennessee Tasters Collection.  This High Angel’s Share release was very nice as I remember.  I think the hook on it was that these barrels had more evaporation loss than most JD barrels.  

66D03068-EE43-4A2C-BCD9-3A52DA06A88A.jpeg

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I found one of the 375s from my trip.  It is their Tennessee Tasters Collection.  This High Angel’s Share release was very nice as I remember.  I think the hook on it was that these barrels had more evaporation loss than most JD barrels.  

66D03068-EE43-4A2C-BCD9-3A52DA06A88A.jpeg

I have only been 2X (both pre-2020) and they had 2 different Tennessee Tasters both times.   I found all 4 unique and good in their own ways, sorry that I dont remember what is what - they are long gone.

On 7/4/2022 at 6:39 PM, smokinjoe said:

Last time that I was there (3 years back), they had several distillery only releases available (in 375ml, I believe).  An Eric Church release, too.  If they are continuing this program, your friend should do OK.  

I like JD just fine for what it is, and Eric Church puts on a good show, but there’s nothing special at all about those Eric Church JD editions, unless they’ve come out with newer/better ones recently…..

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

I like JD just fine for what it is, and Eric Church puts on a good show, but there’s nothing special at all about those Eric Church JD editions, unless they’ve come out with newer/better ones recently…..

Of course.  My positioning of my final sentence should have followed the 375 recs, as that is the program I was referring to.  The EC is exactly as you say, just plain stuff.  That said, a member here asked me to pick one up for him…🤣🤣

Apparently, the distillery recently released a small batch of several very high proof barrels of JD.  The barrel proofs were too high to release as single barrels.  The final batch proof is so high they used a special cork.  It available only at the distillery and select retailers in Tennessee.  

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/bourbon-whiskey-press-releases/jack-daniels-releases-small-batch-special-release-coy-hill-high-proof#:~:text=Matured in the highest reaches of barrelhouses on,proof points ranging from 143.6 - 155.1.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Apparently, the distillery recently released a small batch of several very high proof barrels of JD.  The barrel proofs were too high to release as single barrels.  The final batch proof is so high they used a special cork.  It available only at the distillery and select retailers in Tennessee.  

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/bourbon-whiskey-press-releases/jack-daniels-releases-small-batch-special-release-coy-hill-high-proof#:~:text=Matured in the highest reaches of barrelhouses on,proof points ranging from 143.6 - 155.1.

i just asked someone who’d know.. those are gone, people camped out overnight for em. He says $5-$600 at this point.. for a 375🙄

• I like it 2

Thank you all for the responses! 

He went today and sent me a few pics. They had a couple that I likely wouldn't ever see in a store. I asked him to grab two bottles of the barrel proof. Here's hoping! 

IMG_20220709_162655.jpg

IMG_20220709_160649.jpg

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, WhiskeyProposition said:

Thank you all for the responses! 

He went today and sent me a few pics. They had a couple that I likely wouldn't ever see in a store. I asked him to grab two bottles of the barrel proof. Here's hoping! 

That's cool.  I've never seen 375ml private barrel picks of JD.   I like to buy the little 375mL sizes of the JDBP because they are a better value, but I've only seen the standard single barrels, not private picks.

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

That's cool.  I've never seen 375ml private barrel picks of JD.   I like to buy the little 375mL sizes of the JDBP because they are a better value, but I've only seen the standard single barrels, not private picks.

Yeah, and hopefully being selected by the Master Distiller, these will be solid pours. 

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2022 at 7:21 PM, WhiskeyProposition said:

If I was going to the Jack Daniels Gift Shop. Hands down. Try to buy the 350ML Bottles of Coy Hill. Very High Proof. Hazmat Range. Tennessee only Release.  Not sure if any Heritage Bottles are around. Then consider the JD SB Barrel Proof. It’s a real solid pour. It takes.it’s not a first timer bourbon. The higher proofs. Can overpower. A beginner. Good luck

• I like it 2

The Barrel Proof is delicious. Not rare   but not always easy to find. I need a new one myself

• I like it 3

Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select at 94 proof is pretty darned good as is the Single Barrel rye at 97 proof.  Easier to find these day than the barrel proof and easier on the wallet too. 

• I like it 2

On 8/3/2022 at 11:36 AM, fosmith said:

Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select at 94 proof is pretty darned good as is the Single Barrel rye at 97 proof.  Easier to find these day than the barrel proof and easier on the wallet too. 

I've held off the non barrel proof JD's before but you've never steered me wrong so I will snag one when I see it next.

21 hours ago, flahute said:

I've held off the non barrel proof JD's before but you've never steered me wrong so I will snag one when I see it next.

Steve, I've purchased several of the 94 proof JD and would compare it to a liquid version of pecan pie.  It's really good, but it should be the last pour or only pour of the evening.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.