What are the better Jack Daniel's offerings?

WhiskeyProposition
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

Steve, I've purchased several of the 94 proof JD and would compare it to a liquid version of pecan pie.  It's really good, but it should be the last pour or only pour of the evening.

Another endorsement and duly noted. I love pecan pie.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, flahute said:

Another endorsement and duly noted. I love pecan pie.

Another topic. But, who doesn't love pecan pie?

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Another topic. But, who doesn't love pecan pie?

Only dumb people.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, flahute said:

Only dumb people.

I'm assuming only people who've never actually tried it.  As a born and bred southerner, I have strong opinions about pecan pie.  But even Mr. Edwards shouldn't put anyone off. 

• I like it 1

And, it’s Pee-Can… 😁

Not, Puh-Khan, Puh-Can, or Pee-Cun 

🤣🤣🤣

• I like it 2

I remember that the word pecan has five different pronunciations depending where you are.  That's an unusually large number of pronunciations for the same word.

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

And, it’s Pee-Can… 😁

🤣🤣🤣

Huh - I was told a "Pee-Can" was what you kept under your bed at night - and he was a rather refined gentleman from "South of Broad" in Charleston, SC.  But what does this poor Yankee know about such things Southern . . . . .   😆

• I like it 2

On 8/3/2022 at 2:36 PM, fosmith said:

Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select at 94 proof is pretty darned good as is the Single Barrel rye at 97 proof.  Easier to find these day than the barrel proof and easier on the wallet too. 

THX.

On 8/7/2022 at 9:54 AM, PaulO said:

Steve, I've purchased several of the 94 proof JD and would compare it to a liquid version of pecan pie.  It's really good, but it should be the last pour or only pour of the evening.

THX here, too.  Like Flahute, I've skipped the SiBS and picked up only the BPs which I do love.

• I like it 1

Not too well versed on Jack. I was on a bowling team many years ago and everybody drank Jack and Coke. This was at a small bowing alley in a neighboring town, and the lady tending bar knew the other guys on the team. When she poured a Jack and Coke, it was JAAAAAACK and Coke. Regular 80 proof Jack is just okay to me. Once upon a time, @Vosgar found a store that kept finding cases of the 86 proof version in their storage area. IMHO, their is a big difference in the two. I bought few to share with the guys I bowled with and they absolutely loved it. I went back to that store a couple of times, and on each subsequent visit they raised the price. I guess they finally figured out just what they had. FWIW, this is the same store where I last saw and purchased VW Old Rip 10 yr 90 proof. Yeah, remember that? :o 

Aside from the 86 and 90 proof versions, the only other Jack Daniels product I’ve ever had was the (at the time) export only Jack Daniels Silver Select 100 proof. On one of his trips abroad,  @Vosgar got a bottle for me. Now that was yummy.😋 I’ve been tempted to try other JD products, but so far I’ve resisted temptation. Y’all know the deal. 😏

Biba! Joe

JD was my gateway several decades ago. The single barrel when it debuted was my go to but once that single barrel, barrel proof hit, I’ve never looked back ( cept for that 50/50 bourbon/rye taster that IMO is mighty delicious too ).

On 8/8/2022 at 6:38 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Not too well versed on Jack. I was on a bowling team many years ago and everybody drank Jack and Coke. This was at a small bowing alley in a neighboring town, and the lady tending bar knew the other guys on the team. When she poured a Jack and Coke, it was JAAAAAACK and Coke. Regular 80 proof Jack is just okay to me. Once upon a time, @Vosgar found a store that kept finding cases of the 86 proof version in their storage area. IMHO, their is a big difference in the two. I bought few to share with the guys I bowled with and they absolutely loved it. I went back to that store a couple of times, and on each subsequent visit they raised the price. I guess they finally figured out just what they had. FWIW, this is the same store where I last saw and purchased VW Old Rip 10 yr 90 proof. Yeah, remember that? :o 

Aside from the 86 and 90 proof versions, the only other Jack Daniels product I’ve ever had was the (at the time) export only Jack Daniels Silver Select 100 proof. On one of his trips abroad,  @Vosgar got a bottle for me. Now that was yummy.😋 I’ve been tempted to try other JD products, but so far I’ve resisted temptation. Y’all know the deal. 😏

Biba! Joe

Back in the day (circa 1970), a friend of mine in Walter Reed Army Hospital craved JD and Southern  Comfort, but not together.😉  I was a gin or beer drinker only then, having gotten terribly ill several years earlier doing shots of CC at a beach party.  I bought what he drank and carried it in.  I grew to love the J D 90 proof.  Actually got a Tennessee Squire card a couple years later due to chatting with a JD rep whom I thought was just a fellow drinker. BUT! When the proof dropped to 86 in 1987 without any announcement, I knew nothing of the drop but thought it tasted “off”.  By 2002 when it dropped to 80, I’d pretty much stopped drinking it, moving on to cocktails, craft beer, and this stuff called Lot B.  The recent JD higher proofs (100 and above) lured me back.  They lack the banana ester that I usually taste in the lower proofs.  Try a single barrel, barrel proof or even the bonded in a bar.  It might surprise you, and if it doesn’t, you are out the cost of a shot and not a 750.

• I like it 3

On 8/8/2022 at 12:43 PM, GeeTen said:

Huh - I was told a "Pee-Can" was what you kept under your bed at night - and he was a rather refined gentleman from "South of Broad" in Charleston, SC.  But what does this poor Yankee know about such things Southern . . . . .   😆

🤣🤣🤣 rolling in the floor laughing over here Frank!!

On 8/8/2022 at 10:28 AM, smokinjoe said:

And, it’s Pee-Can… 😁

🤣🤣🤣

It's definitely Puh-Khaan in my neck of the woods!

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 11:28 AM, smokinjoe said:

And, it’s Pee-Can… 😁

🤣🤣🤣

Ha! I just spent a week on the southern SC coast and at every restaurant we visited, the looks and responses I received from the servers was almost comical. Pee-can pie (huh?, do you mean puh-cahn ?), calamod (do you mean calamari?). I’m of Irish and Italian descent with a little German and French ancestry, from the north east, and speak like I could have been a cast member of the Sopranos (which was filmed in my town, btw).  It was almost like we spoke different languages..

• I like it 5

11 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

Ha! I just spent a week on the southern SC coast and at every restaurant we visited, the looks and responses I received from the servers was almost comical. Pee-can pie (huh?, do you mean puh-cahn ?), calamod (do you mean calamari?). I’m of Irish and Italian descent with a little German and French ancestry, from the north east, and speak like I could have been a cast member of the Sopranos (which was filmed in my town, btw).  It was almost like we spoke different languages..

See, I told you so!  😆

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

My parents were both born and grew up in Chicago.

We moved to Southern Indiana when I was four.  I grew up where the Northern Kentucky dialect was the norm.

As a family, if we were on vacation in the deep South, I had to act as a translator in places like grocery stores or restaurants.

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

I find the dialect on the Southeast coast from say Savannah up through Maryland to be very interesting.  I can usually peg pretty quickly if a person is from that region after just a few seconds of conversation.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I find the dialect on the Southeast coast from say Savannah up through Maryland to be very interesting.  I can usually peg pretty quickly if a person is from that region after just a few seconds of conversation.

Amen!

My wife is a Baltimore native.  When we travel, almost without fail, someone picks up on it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.