OF Birthday Bourbon Lottery

Thomm
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Edited by Kepler
disclaimer I didn't enter the lottery but thought this applies to you poors, Lol

I lost and forgot to tell my wife I’d signed her up too. She had deleted her email, but I got her to search her deleted mail…only to find out the inevitable. Sigh…

I like the concept though. I would’ve made the trip.

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

I lost and forgot to tell my wife I’d signed her up too. She had deleted her email, but I got her to search her deleted mail…only to find out the inevitable. Sigh…

I like the concept though. I would’ve made the trip.

I would have made the trip too, but I also came up empty. I figure, if none of us won, the thing must be rigged. Or a Communist plot. Or maybe a vast, right wing conspiracy.  

I know the control state lotteries end up with hundreds of thousands of entries.   Wonder how many millions signed up for a nationwide lottery with no requirements?   How many millions for the 500 bottles, LOL

More importantly, how many will NOT get picked up because someone in North Dakota decides its too far, expensive, etc

On 8/26/2022 at 12:30 PM, dean_martin said:

Four Roses will be using a lottery as part of its LE SmB release

https://robbreport.com/food-drink/spirits/four-limited-edition-small-batch-2022-release-1234741808/

"For the past 15 years or so, Kentucky’s Four Roses Distillery has released its annual Limited Edition Small Batch and bourbon fans have lost their collective mind."

Have they? Losing minds over bourbon seems to be a more recent phenomenon. Plus not every release has been stellar (cough 2016 cough). 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, beasled said:

"For the past 15 years or so, Kentucky’s Four Roses Distillery has released its annual Limited Edition Small Batch and bourbon fans have lost their collective mind."

Have they? Losing minds over bourbon seems to be a more recent phenomenon. Plus not every release has been stellar (cough 2016 cough). 

I didn't lose my mind.  I lost interest.  Don't get me wrong both the SmBLE and SBLE have generally been stellar.  However, I tired of fighting the lottery crowds for a bottle I used to be able to buy off the shelf and the significant price increase. 

I have similarly tapped out on interest in other "limited" releases.    

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

55 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I didn't lose my mind.  I lost interest.  Don't get me wrong both the SmBLE and SBLE have generally been stellar.  However, I tired of fighting the lottery crowds for a bottle I used to be able to buy off the shelf and the significant price increase. 

I have similarly tapped out on interest in other "limited" releases.    

I'm in the same boat. Still love bourbon and enjoy finding bottles to enjoy, just not fighting people and lines anymore. If it happens, great!! If not, okay, give me what is on the shelf and lets go.

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, beasled said:

Maybe more nuts the last eight or ten years. I remember one trip @Vosgar and I made to KY years ago. We stopped at Cox’s Creek on our way into Bardstown. Al Young was just leaving the gift shop, and chatted with us a bit. He gave Gary a copy of his book, and even autographed it for him. 😎 There were plenty of that years LE’s on the shelf behind the counter. Limit one. Gary wanted one, and the gal at the counter grabbed one. She then asked if I wanted one too. I said no. Gary looked at me and said yes you do. I said no I don’t. Gary gave me “the look” and said again, yes you do. Doh!  I bought one too. It went to Gary. 😁

Anyway, IIRC, the FRLE’s have only been around fourteen years. I believe it all started with the 2008 Mariage. I really liked that one. I bought two or three of the 2009 Mariage’s when they were released figuring they would be good too. Not!  They were just fair, and a bit of a hot mess. During a barrel pick at FR a few years later, we found out why. Jim Rutledge was away from the distillery on official business when they pulled the barrels for the 2009 Mariage. He left instructions as to the number of barrels to pull from the two recipes that were used. Whoever was left in charge screwed up. The quantity of barrels from the two different recipes to be used was reversed. Oops. Since then, I’ve always passed on the FRLE’s. Not mad or anything. Instead of joining the Cult, I became a Weller Whore instead. 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

This was the scene at Four Roses when they released two 16yr single barrels for flood relief. 

85D349F4-0BC1-4338-87C1-A9E6AA786F80.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 9/3/2022 at 3:50 PM, flahute said:

This was the scene at Four Roses when they released two 16yr single barrels for flood relief. 

This is exactly the point of this post. I'll gladly enter an email lottery over this fresh Hell. That gives me hives just lookin' at it!

• I like it 3

On 9/3/2022 at 4:50 PM, flahute said:

I have never in my life tasted a bourbon that was THAT good. 

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, BigRich said:

Craigslist here in KY is covered up with these trying to flip them at $600 - $800.  I wonder if any of them actually opened and drank one?  
Too bad the after-market price isn’t going to flood relief.

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 5

10 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Craigslist here in KY is covered up with these trying to flip them at $600 - $800.  I wonder if any of them actually opened and drank one?  

Sad ain’t it. Here’s a scenario for y’all. One time I ran into a guy looking at stuff in the bourbon aisle of a liquor store. I asked if he needed any help and he just hem hawed. I suggested a bourbon that I thought he might like. His response?  “Uhh thanks, but I don’t drink. I’m a collector.” 🤬

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

14 hours ago, BigRich said:

Indeed sir.

On 9/3/2022 at 4:50 PM, flahute said:

Keeping it all in perspective, aging Bourbon is a bell shaped curve.  At some point it stops getting better.  It starts to become over oaked, too dry, full of tannin, one dimensional.

To the people that chase labels though, the bigger the better age statement, a goal in and of itself.

No doubt Four Roses makes some great whiskey.  For myself to drink, (not flip, hoard, show taters on social media) 13 years old tasted like it spent too much time in the barrel.  Closer to 10 years seemed about perfect. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, PaulO said:

Keeping it all in perspective, aging Bourbon is a bell shaped curve.  At some point it stops getting better.  It starts to become over oaked, too dry, full of tannin, one dimensional.

To the people that chase labels though, the bigger the better age statement, a goal in and of itself.

No doubt Four Roses makes some great whiskey.  For myself to drink, (not flip, hoard, show taters on social media) 13 years old tasted like it spent too much time in the barrel.  Closer to 10 years seemed about perfect. 

I’ve had 17yr 4R that was outstanding and not over oaked. Just got to manage the aging

On 9/7/2022 at 12:00 PM, flahute said:

I’ve had 17yr 4R that was outstanding and not over oaked. Just got to manage the aging

I don't doubt that.  We know that if a barrel is planned to be aged extra time, it's placed somewhere like the bottom and middle of the warehouse.

My point is, there is no hard fast rule that more age past a point keeps getting better and better.  It does make the price go up for sure.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.