Store pick premium pricing/gouging

Dannabis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 10/5/2022 at 6:04 PM, fosmith said:

First time I can remember seeing this - a store pick priced below the standard offering.  Not sure how much I trust Safeway to pick a great barrel but I couldn't resist so it came home with me today.  ~9.5 years old...

Knob Creek SiB safeway.jpg

In my view, you are lucky to have both! I haven't seen either here in more than a year. Strange times.

Not sure if this goes here. But a smple is not always a great gauge. So there are rumors about a young purveyor in a local store in lavergne, tn. The rumor is that he fills an empty store pick bottle with very good tasting bourbon, pours samples for customers who also find it very impressive. The fooled customers buy the store pick that actually contains drain pour swill. Caveat emptor

• I like it 1

I got ripped off at a liquor store once.  I went in and asked for a dry wine.  When I got home, it was just as wet as all of the others that I had tried.

• I like it 4

19 hours ago, flahute said:

In my view, you are lucky to have both! I haven't seen either here in more than a year. Strange times.

I have seen more KC120s in recent months than I have in a long time.  The price went up but so did availability.

1 minute ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have seen more KC120s in recent months than I have in a long time.  The price went up but so did availability.

Thus affirming the demand-supply curve we learned in ECON 101.  MY GOODNESS! IT COULD BE TRUE!!

• I like it 3

2 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Thus affirming the demand-supply curve we learned in ECON 101.  MY GOODNESS! IT COULD BE TRUE!!

I just explained the Demand-Supply curve to several engineers in my group on Friday when we were discussing the curtailment of concrete deliveries coupled with a significant price increase for what we can get.  I can't begin to imagine how to apply this to bourbon availability.  Post-Covid supply chain issues continue to wreck havoc across the economy.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

And to think - my 14.01 professor (Intro to Economics) was Paul Samuelson!  He was pretty right about a lot of things.   🤩

On 10/8/2022 at 9:37 AM, FasterHorses said:

Not sure if this goes here. But a smple is not always a great gauge. So there are rumors about a young purveyor in a local store in lavergne, tn. The rumor is that he fills an empty store pick bottle with very good tasting bourbon, pours samples for customers who also find it very impressive. The fooled customers buy the store pick that actually contains drain pour swill. Caveat emptor

That's not exactly a sustainable business model.  

• I like it 1

On 10/9/2022 at 5:30 PM, GeeTen said:

And to think - my 14.01 professor (Intro to Economics) was Paul Samuelson!  He was pretty right about a lot of things.   🤩

Somofagun!  We be contemporaries.  I feathered his nest being required to buy multiple editions of his books.  As much as I’d like to pick on him, I got to say:  He does good job of describing the generic market.  You want to criticize?  Hack at those edges.😆

Je as 

,it

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was thinking about this thread while browsing thru FWGS tonight. Surprisingly, the old trend is coming back in that the store picks are about $5-6 cheaper than the traditional SiB offerings.

Not sure if this is a sign of things to come, but hey, I’ll take it.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, steven s said:

FWGS?

Fine Wine & Good Spirits.  PA state liquor stores.  

PhantomLamb, anything worth getting over that way?  I mean besides the allocated stuff that is sold online and snapped up by the bot people within minutes....

7 hours ago, Anwalt said:

PhantomLamb, anything worth getting over that way?  I mean besides the allocated stuff that is sold online and snapped up by the bot people within minutes....

I hunt, (deer and turkey, not whiskey),  up in PA and they don't seem to have anything special, at least in Bedford County.      They did have a sale on Old Tub, last year, for $17.00 a bottle and WT101 rye for and sometimes that have good sales on PA sprits.   Years ago, they had cheap Weller but, then again, everyone did back in the day😅

I do recall a good sale on Ardbeg 10 year,.

I wouldn't make a special trip there but, if I was in the neighborhood, I'd stop by and check it out.    

8 hours ago, Anwalt said:

What are you looking for my friend?  They have some good scotch/Irish whiskey I've been eyeing.  Some new(er) offerings from New Riff as well as Thomas Moore, Rabbit Hole, etc.  Pretty much a lot of craft.

6 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I do recall a good sale on Ardbeg 10 year,.

I wouldn't make a special trip there but, if I was in the neighborhood, I'd stop by and check it out. 

5 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

What are you looking for my friend?  They have some good scotch/Irish whiskey I've been eyeing.  Some new(er) offerings from New Riff as well as Thomas Moore, Rabbit Hole, etc.  Pretty much a lot of craft.

Totally opportunistic.  Eldest Child will be in PA until end of December and is then moving.  Figured I'd get deals, such as they are, while I still can.  I see some of the state picks that are still on the website - no idea if they are any good (KC, Makers, etc.).  Willing to hear recommendations, that's the main gist of my initial comment.

As an aside, Bookers was easily available.  I know the price did not excite many of you.  I thought it worth it; one bottle goes a long way with us "cheap date" sorts.  Eldest Child did not have to drive much to snag a few.  I do not expect her to wait in line, drive far, etc.  Not worth it.

So open to suggestions.  I do like some Irish whiskey but fairly little scotch (but willing to listen on the latter).  A bit of rye here & again. Mainly bourbon.  Not terribly into NDPs, Barrell, BBC Disc, and New Riff excepted (and have plenty of all 3).  Wouldn't have minded some of the Makers 2022 version of FAE-1 & 2 (the names elude me), but those went pretty quickly in the western parts of Allegheny county where she lives.  Ditto the ECBP C922.  

Any recommendations (including "nothing I'm excited about", it'd be honest) are welcome.

Thanks for listening/reading!

• I like it 2

I've had mixed experience with Knob Creek store picks,  but don't recall ever having a bad bottle of KC small batch.  I think there's a reason for that,  which is why I don't go out of my way looking for store picks of single barrels.   I think small batch products provide better  balance and adherence to the intended flavor profile.

• I like it 4

On 10/27/2022 at 5:18 PM, Jazzhead said:

I've had mixed experience with Knob Creek store picks,  but don't recall ever having a bad bottle of KC small batch.  I think there's a reason for that,  which is why I don't go out of my way looking for store picks of single barrels.   I think small batch products provide better  balance and adherence to the intended flavor profile.

I agree.  Of the half dozen or so (or less🙄) Store picks I have tried, I have not hit one worth the premium.  The several dozen ordinaries I have consumed over the years were all above average.  Why pay more for the bottle sticker????

🙄store 

• I like it 1

On 10/27/2022 at 5:18 PM, Jazzhead said:

There is a lot to be said for the consistency and quality of small batch products.  I will say that I have had some stellar KC120 SiB store picks, especially from Binny's and a few local Indy retailers.  This said, I have had a few bottles that were a hot mess.  I can say the same thing about other SiB products.  I have had some stellar WTKS bottles and some that I would prefer WT101 over. The one SiB product that I struggle with is Blanton's.  I have had some great bottles but more often than not most were average when compared to OF100 or WT101.  Albeit, the average bottles have been the more recent ones.

I love the surprise of a stellar SiB store pick.  Yet, I loathe the surprise of a subpar SiB store pick.  With a small batch product, I know what I am going to get.  As always, know who is making the store pick and whether your palate aligns with theirs. 

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.