BOTM 11/22 Russell's Reserve Single Barrel

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry to miss last month - I was on vacation at the beginning of the month and completely forgot!

Onwards and we all know what happens this month - Turkey Day. As has been the case the past couple years it means we are drinking a lot of Turkey this month!

Also, we haven't talked about RRSiB here in 6 years so we are definitely due. 

As many of you know, I haven't been able to find the shelf version of this in over a year so I don't have a current one to taste and evaluate how it's holding up. What we do know is that a lot if not all of the barrels in the single barrel program are at an age where they likely came off the new still. (Somebody check me on that). Different stills produce different whiskey even if all the other factors remain the same so we've all been wondering if we would be able to detect that change. WT101 still tastes great to me and that's all off the new still at this point. (If there are differences they are showing us that they can be blended out.) WTRB is also still tasting great and the 6yr and 8yr components of it are off the new still while the 12yr is from the old still but that's a very small part of the recipe. I had a private pick WTKS that was not good at all but it was from TW who are terrible pickers so that is inconclusive.

When I taste some of my own barrel picks of RRSiB (off the old still) it is some of the finest bourbon in my bunker. The quality of the barrels they had in the program back then made it really hard to pick a bad one. And of course I never had a bad shelf version. So, I'm really curious to know how the new ones stack up. Since I'm not yet able to find out let's hear from those of you are able to get the shelf version. And, let's celebrate all things Turkey this fine month.

• I like it 7

I believe the "new" Wild Turkey distillery started up in May/June 2011 so I think the transition has been phasing in for a while for Russell's Reserve SiB. I too have read people's concerns, but the pick I got recently was distilled in October 2013 and it is good, classic Russell's Reserve SiB. Sample size of one, but I'm hopeful that there will not be a drop off. I will say that the barrage of picks finally being released around here recently are almost all 8 years old, whereas in the past there were a good deal of 9 and 10 year barrels in the picks I would see.

Shelf Russell's Reserve SiB is my go to recommendation to people who want a really good bourbon they can actually find and not spend crazy money for. It did disappear for a while, but my understanding is that this was due to glass/supply chain issues and not to a shortage of the bourbon itself. The price has crept up a few bucks, but at $63 MSRP, it crushes so many other more expensive bourbons, at least to my palate. I also like it a fair bit more than Rare Breed and would typically choose it over Kentucky Spirit. Campari's stewardship of Wild Turkey has been on my mind since the announcement of their acquisition of Wilderness Trail and I think they have done a pretty darn good job letting the Russells do their thing.

• I like it 5

Hhhmmm.  That drift down in age sounds familiar - Booker’s comes to mind.  That didn’t result in a drop in quality, just a drop in complexity imo.  Coupled with the price increase in Bookers, I stopped buying.

Glad for the reminder about RR.  I can still find it here.  Next week is a restocking week, and I’ll be physically constrained from shopping for a couple weeks thereafter, so I shall overbuy next week, concentrating on WT stuff, especially RR.  Remember, bourbon doesn’t spoil like beer and cheap wine.🤣

• I like it 2

I'm new to the hobby - Can't find this anywhere around me.   Went to a neighboring state and had one in my basket (69.99) but pulled it for the 10 YO at 32.99 - can anyone compare the 10 and this one?

The RR Single Barrel are bottles filled from one barrel, and it's not diluted, so much higher proof.  The single barrel status might mean some deviation from the standard profile.

RR 10 year is from a batch of multiple barrels and bottled at 90 proof.  I think it's a very nice pour that often flies under the radar.

• I like it 3

I hadn't bought one of these in a few years until I bought one this year.  Since it was bought in VA it's most assuredly a recent bottling.  I don't quite remember the tasting notes on the last bottle I had, but I'd wager this current bottle is as good or even better.  In addition I've been "working" on developing my palette as I've also gotten more heavily into scotch.  So  I feel like if I'm enjoying the RRSiB this much now that it must be really good stuff since I can pick out more flavors and nuances.  Heck, I already picked up a backup bottle.

As for the turkey line-up this one is my favorite out of any that I've had thus far in the core range.  The closest comparison is WTRB and between the two I feel the RRSiB is better.  It's a slightly lower proof, but to me it's better balanced and it being non chill filtered gives it a little thicker mouth feel, which I really like.

As to the poster's question above on the comparison with the RR10, that's really good stuff too.  The biggest difference in RR10 and the RRSiB is the later has more depth and complexity.

• I like it 1

I didn't realize that it was hard to find.  I have a couple of bottles, that I bought a couple years ago.  I think it was on sale at the VA ABC stores and I'm assuming that they're from the same barrel.    One of them is almost empty, so it's on the bottle cull "hit" list.  It's very, very good and I'd definitely buy it again,.

• I like it 1

my fave semi-available bottle out there!

just finishing a recently purchased non-store  pick, and it has been stellar. $56 in rural GA. wish i could've brought a case home to CO.

• I like it 1

On 11/6/2022 at 9:10 PM, PaulO said:

The RR Single Barrel are bottles filled from one barrel, and it's not diluted, so much higher proof.  The single barrel status might mean some deviation from the standard profile.

RR 10 year is from a batch of multiple barrels and bottled at 90 proof.  I think it's a very nice pour that often flies under the radar.

Actually, the RR Single Barrel IS diluted, down to 110 proof.  Not diluted much because of WT's relatively low entry proof, but they do add water to RRSiB to get it to 110. 

If they have a barrel that proofs out at less than 110, it becomes Kentucky Spirit at 101 proof.

• I like it 2

On 11/4/2022 at 2:44 PM, flahute said:

Sorry to miss last month - I was on vacation at the beginning of the month and completely forgot!

Onwards and we all know what happens this month - Turkey Day. As has been the case the past couple years it means we are drinking a lot of Turkey this month!

Also, we haven't talked about RRSiB here in 6 years so we are definitely due. 

As many of you know, I haven't been able to find the shelf version of this in over a year so I don't have a current one to taste and evaluate how it's holding up. What we do know is that a lot if not all of the barrels in the single barrel program are at an age where they likely came off the new still. (Somebody check me on that). Different stills produce different whiskey even if all the other factors remain the same so we've all been wondering if we would be able to detect that change. WT101 still tastes great to me and that's all off the new still at this point. (If there are differences they are showing us that they can be blended out.) WTRB is also still tasting great and the 6yr and 8yr components of it are off the new still while the 12yr is from the old still but that's a very small part of the recipe. I had a private pick WTKS that was not good at all but it was from TW who are terrible pickers so that is inconclusive.

When I taste some of my own barrel picks of RRSiB (off the old still) it is some of the finest bourbon in my bunker. The quality of the barrels they had in the program back then made it really hard to pick a bad one. And of course I never had a bad shelf version. So, I'm really curious to know how the new ones stack up. Since I'm not yet able to find out let's hear from those of you are able to get the shelf version. And, let's celebrate all things Turkey this fine month.

Steve, thanks for carrying the water for Bourbon of the Month. Even though I don’t post much in this thread, I always look forward to the BOTM, you select. I’m especially partial to the November varieties, being 🦃 month and all. 

Cheers

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

Actually, the RR Single Barrel IS diluted, down to 110 proof.  Not diluted much because of WT's relatively low entry proof

I appreciate the sacrifice WT makes for using a lower entry proof than most of their competitors. It costs them money on the bottom line. 
I believe, WT, 4R, MM adherence to low entry proofs are why I love their products. Furthermore, it is the reason, they have such a loyal following. The low entry proof produces such a flavorful whiskey, without overwhelming the taste buds. 

Whenever, I come across a cask strength whiskey, at or under 55% ABV, it is a must purchase, because I know there will be exceptional flavors within this bottle. 

Cheers

• I like it 4

RR single barrel is probably my favorite regularly available bourbon.  Enough said.  The price has crept up lately so it's not quite the value that WT101 is.  But if I had to live with only one bourbon forever, it would be RRSiB.  Or handles of WT101 if my budget is tight.

• I like it 1

I was in Louisville last weekend and went to a liquor store that had a tasting bar with a truly impressive list of bourbons available at good prices (relatively). I saw that they had a regular RRSiB and had a pour. It was great. I mentioned to the bartender that I hadn't seen it in over a year (and indeed this store also did not have any on the shelf). A few minutes later he appeared from the back with a bottle for me because he remembered that they still had a couple. I happily purchased it of course.

• I like it 2

I didn't try RR SiB when it was first introduced. I was in a full-scale revolt against anything more expensive than the standard KC bottling at that point, so it's only been in the last two or three years that I've finally tried it. A tactical error, to be sure. I have had some really lovely store picks, but the regular bottles of this are grand, and now that most of the local retailers upcharge for store picks (anywhere from an extra $11 to an extra $25), I only buy the standard bottling. It's consistent and consistently good.

And if I ever get a hankering for the late, lamented RR 10/101, I simply vat this 1:1 with RR10/90. Close enough to 10 years old, close enough to 101 proof, and delectable.

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up a RR SiB, and they included the original proof, which was nice.  Very minimal dilution in this barrel.

212631F5-B44C-41DE-8E30-98EFB7428BAB.jpeg

Edited by Jazz Nut
  • I like it 4

• 3 weeks later...

I assume that low dilution practice would also go for the regular RR labels.  Anyone know for sure?

13 hours ago, Bourbon Boiler said:

I assume that low dilution practice would also go for the regular RR labels.  Anyone know for sure?

Wild Turkey barrel entry proof is 115, below the legal maximum that most distilleries use, of 125.  Lower entry proof usually results in lower barrel proof so, yes, less dilution across the product line. 

On 11/29/2022 at 12:56 PM, Jazz Nut said:

I recently picked up a RR SiB, and they included the original proof, which was nice.  Very minimal dilution in this barrel.

212631F5-B44C-41DE-8E30-98EFB7428BAB.jpeg

22 hours ago, Bourbon Boiler said:

9 hours ago, fosmith said:

Wild Turkey barrel entry proof is 115, below the legal maximum that most distilleries use, of 125.  Lower entry proof usually results in lower barrel proof so, yes, less dilution across the product line. 

I agree with fosmith.  At least all the information that I'm aware of indicates that entry proof for all WT bourbon products was changed to 115 in 2006 (source: rarebird101's blog page).  I'm not disputing the label on that RRSiB but ...  well I guess it is possible that WT is experimenting with some lower entry proof distillate ( ? )

If so, that is news to me and in my opinion major great news to Turkeyheads like myself. 

Wish we could hear from Bruce, Eddie, or DJ at Rarebird101 on the scoop here.  We need a Bat-signal here on SB (or I guess it would be a "Turkey-signal 🦃📢🔦" hehe).

• I like it 2

I think the label means it was 112.1 when dumped but before being cut to bottling proof. No change in barrel entry proof would be required.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

I think the label means it was 112.1 when dumped but before being cut to bottling proof. No change in barrel entry proof would be required.

Ahh that makes perfect sense.  I misinterpreted.  The "in the barrel" really means "from" the barrel. 

15 hours ago, Jazz June said:

Apparently the picks are getting a new label.

new RR pick label.jpg

Yeah they're getting the "gold package" haha

12 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Yeah they're getting the "gold package”

🤣🤣🤣🤣, shades of the 90’s

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.