Scored my first Blanton's!

Dedward429
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found it at a small place in IL for 100$. Thought that was fair. Same place I found my EH Taylor. Merry Xmas to me!

20221226_105700.jpg

• I like it 8

3 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Nice! When are you going to open it?

Next time I have a few friends over that appreciate bourbon. It would be nice to share it with people who haven't tried it before. Would be a shame for just me to experience this bottle IMO.

• I like it 4

7 hours ago, Dedward429 said:

Found it at a small place in IL for 100$. Thought that was fair. Same place I found my EH Taylor. Merry Xmas to me!

20221226_105700.jpg

Congratulations!  It looks like you got the box and bag too which are cool!  Enjoy!

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Congratulations!  It looks like you got the box and bag too which are cool!  Enjoy!

Last week I had a bourbon buyer throw one of these into my box at checkout. When he saw the damaged box he asked if I wanted a different one with a better box. I’m thinking I don’t even want it in the first place! But he gave me some other nice bottles and I appreciate everything else he does so I kept my mouth shut. 🤷‍♂️ It rang up at $70. 

27D3F84A-86DE-4460-9C3F-345661502CA1.jpeg

• I like it 4

Howdy folks, happy to join. Happy holidays to you all. I lucked out today and got a bottle for 69.99 at a grocery store in Seattle. Nothing on the shelves so I finally asked a stock person to check the back and viola, score!

IMG_9921.jpg

Edited by Luisrm02
Added image
  • I like it 4

I came across this on Christmas Eve (and did not buy). I have a 2021 bottle of Blanton’s that I got for $65(ish?) but haven’t opened. I was disappointed in my last bottle and I think it might have more value for someone else as a gift than it does for me as something to drink. 

CFDDFC93-EF15-4220-8B27-18A1FFE8D631.jpeg

3 hours ago, evasive said:

I came across this on Christmas Eve (and did not buy). I have a 2021 bottle of Blanton’s that I got for $65(ish?) but haven’t opened. I was disappointed in my last bottle and I think it might have more value for someone else as a gift than it does for me as something to drink. 

Ouch.  I'm with you, hard pass.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, evasive said:

I'll take the box of Mac 30 😉

On 12/29/2022 at 9:40 PM, Luisrm02 said:

Howdy folks, happy to join. Happy holidays to you all. I lucked out today and got a bottle for 69.99 at a grocery store in Seattle. Nothing on the shelves so I finally asked a stock person to check the back and viola, score!

IMG_9921.jpg

Welcome to the board. Fellow Seattleite here - did you get that at Safeway? I used to regularly find Blanton's there.

Blanton's, at least the current version, ain't great folks.  And please leave the stupid crotch shots for facebook.

• I like it 7

On 1/5/2023 at 8:59 AM, wadewood said:

Blanton's, at least the current version, ain't great folks.  And please leave the stupid crotch shots for facebook.

To each his own. I think it is  very good currently . Cheers ! 

• I like it 1

On 12/31/2022 at 8:56 PM, flahute said:

Welcome to the board. Fellow Seattleite here - did you get that at Safeway? I used to regularly find Blanton's there.

Thanks! Yep, I picked it up at a Safeway but completely lucky. I had been to maybe 9 of them and finally asked them to check the back in one store. Random clerk walked back and pulled my box. Said it was the only one and appears to have been stashed. Also the box lid was cut which I found interesting. Wonder if these mgrs know better and stash, buy and resell?

On 1/5/2023 at 8:59 AM, wadewood said:

Just to note, I drink everything I buy and used to be able to buy this juice retail all the time. I don’t have a Facebook, Instagram, TikTok or any social media presence, saw this thread and just happened upon a lucky retail score… what’s the purpose of the response? Open forum no need for these types of condescending responses. Why the hate?

“Crotch shot”, wasn’t even for this forum, just a quick shot as I left the store sharing with a buddy of mine and after I saw this post it was just my random pic to go with my get. 

lol…judgy much?

Edited by Luisrm02

On 12/26/2022 at 11:01 AM, Dedward429 said:

20221226_105700.jpg

Congratulations on your pick ups. It is always a good feeling when you come across a 

bottle(s) that you have been searching for (lusting after).   I hope you continue to find those bottles you want. Don’t forget to try brands from all of the legacy distilleries. Welcome to the forum. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, Luisrm02 said:

Just to note, I drink everything I buy and used to be able to buy this juice retail all the time. I don’t have a Facebook, Instagram, TikTok or any social media presence, saw this thread and just happened upon a lucky retail score… what’s the purpose of the response? Open forum no need for these types of condescending responses. Why the hate?

“Crotch shot”, wasn’t even for this forum, just a quick shot as I left the store sharing with a buddy of mine and after I saw this post it was just my random pic to go with my get. 

lol…judgy much?

Different culture here.  

What you saw isn't even close to "hate".  Don't be so delicate.

Hope you stick around.  You could get, and perhaps give, a lot. It's a small forum with tons of knowledge & sharing, and a massive legacy. 

There is a section where denizens show pics of what they bought.  You'll note that most of them are not crotch shots, which are associated with Facebook fora where "look what I just bought" is 99% of the "discussion".  And simply not very classy.  It's a symbol of the excesses of the present craze - "look what I bought, gotta post immediately to get that dopamine hit!  And it's a Blantons!  More dopamine!".  Take your time, set up the bottle nicely, take a pic on the table, and then tell us about it.  Like it?  Not like it? Why?  Why not?  We want to learn (in my case especially, since I'm still pretty new) and teach (for those who can, lots of them here).

There are people here who like Blantons.  There are also a lot who think it's overpriced.  And that the present single-minded pursuit of it crazy, especially given all that is out there.  Indeed, nothing screams "tater" more than a crotch shot of Blantons or some other BT product.  Hence the muted response.  Now, you probably didn't know that, though searching the forum would have made it clear, stat.  Now you know.  Nothing wrong with BT stuff, other than perhaps the price.  We have several self-described Weller Whores here. But the craze over things BT, and especially Blantons, tends to cause people to overlook that there is so much more.  Putting a crotch shot + Blantons together around here signals "trendy new tater who doesn't know much and won't contribute much".  Now maybe that's not the case with you.  But in general, when someone shows those signs, its gonna generate a great big eye roll (though of the guys were quite welcoming in spite of The Signs, no mention of that?).  There are plenty of places where such things are celebrated.  This isn't one of them.  Which is a feature, not a bug.

I'd follow some discussion threads.  These guys know A LOT.  Yeah, they are somewhat on the "get off my lawn" side of things.  That's what happens with age & experience and watching, with a certain amount of horror, at some what's going on in the bourbon world.  But that age & experience are well worth tapping into.  If you don't want that...I'd leave.  Nothing personal, could be you are a super awesome person and not a good fit here.  It sure as heck ain't a safe space.

I hope you stay, learn a ton, and fit in with a really good & knowledgeable group of people.

These guys have utterly changed how I pursue and enjoy this hobby.  Very much for the better.  I hope you let them do the same for you.

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 11

17 hours ago, Luisrm02 said:

lol…judgy much?

PS:  And I did brag about the Gold & SFTB I found in Europe.  Betcha not everyone liked the post(s).  C'est la vie.

• I like it 4

I do plan on sticking around and I’m not delicate, just new to posting to the forum. In passing I happened to be on vacation and was lucky enough (these days) to catch a bottle retail. I used to buy it 40 a bottle all the time and it was no biggie. Been lurking here for a bit on and off. Shoot, more pretentious in my mind to take my time and position a bottle of bourbon as if it was some art form then my “look what I got while out on a drive”. 

But shoot, I’ll bite!

Here is some of my current supply that helps me stay warm on these rare cold Florida days (40s today and going to hit 38 tomorrow). Oh and an old old old bottle (unfortunately the plaque of Rocky fell off during a move) for fun.

I stick to buying retail juice and drink a wide variety of juice…I got some Wellers 12, in there also. Honestly? I actually prefer my WT101 most the time. I do like Blantons just fine, at retail. Wouldn’t pay over that. Especially now that’s it’s around 79$ in Florida whenever I do find it.

Anyways enjoyed reading your response.

6F17B002-47D8-422A-AC64-DC16E29B0221.jpeg

80C69E10-9984-4F0B-B447-4E2F1D0AD46B.jpeg

Edited by Luisrm02
  • I like it 1

1 minute ago, Davesnothere said:

Nice shot. Did you use a fstop on that? 😁

Thanks! F1.5, iso 1000, 1/15 s… I will say that modern camera phones are shockingly decent.

2 hours ago, Luisrm02 said:

Thanks! F1.5, iso 1000, 1/15 s… I will say that modern camera phones are shockingly decent.

Not certain what happened to my post, but that was an inside joke several friends and I used to use when a real photographer friend of ours got too serious. 😉

34 minutes ago, Davesnothere said:

Not certain what happened to my post, but that was an inside joke several friends and I used to use when a real photographer friend of ours got too serious. 😉

Yeah I figured it was sarcastic which is why I replied how I did…obviously that pic was just a camera phone snap.

I mean of course someone with a Cheech and Chong skit reference for his forum name has got jokes.

Edited by Luisrm02
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.