Scored my first Blanton's!

Dedward429
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, Luisrm02 said:

But shoot, I’ll bite!

Cool. Lots of classically good stuff in the photo.  First thing I learned here, be suspicious of NDP's.  Why pay extra for sourced stuff as opposed to buying from the source?  With exceptions, BBC & Barrell being two of them for me.  Managed to get two of the new BBC origin series via a friend, can't wait to try them.  I did get a sneak taste in August via their Thieving The Barrel tour, albeit at full barrel strength.  I liked all three (the rye is not out yet).  I'd bet dimes to dollars that, once proofed down, they'll make excellent daily drinkers.  I hope they intend to sell some barrel strength versions of the same.

The fireplace is awesome.  I want one.  OK, perhaps not in tropical Puerto Rico.  Still, want one somewhere.

I will buy a ton of Blanton's in Europe.  Gold, SFTB & W12 at good prices; much of has already been bought and cached.  Psyched about that. Though I'm not so sure with how viable that approach shall remain with the dollar dropping.  Much of it is to drink & keep (especially the Gold, the SFTB seems hot for me). And much could be swapped.  Because in Puerto Rico, I quite simply cannot get much bourbon.  So I play the game I can play to get the bottles I want.  And say what you will, the Blanton's & W12 are excellent currency.  Not that anyone here would ever indulge in such naughty practices.  It's just nice to know that I could.

I envy you guys your ability to drive, chat, see things, etc.  I do it when I can, but I'm simply limited in that regard.

I have a Bernheims.  I have not yet opened it....how do you like it?

I don't even know what the Rocky thing is.  I'll have to google it.

A surprise for me?  WTRB and especially RR SiB are favorites.  Great deals and thankfully not entirely discovered by the Taters.  Probably not "rare" enough to elicit excitement. 

Also totally sold on ECBP, the recent Larceny BP, and Bookers.  Didn't like the Little Book I tried, but it was an oddball (Malted #6)  Having a freaking field day with KC.  Just shared one with a friend here in PR who likes bourbon but hasn't much access to it.  He went ape over the KC12.  I also really like the Dickel 15.  I probably would have tried all these later on in the process.  Watching the guys here and scrolling through lots of old posts got me to try all of the above sooner rather than later.

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

Cool. Lots of classically good stuff in the photo.  First thing I learned here, be suspicious of NDP's.  Why pay extra for sourced stuff as opposed to buying from the source?  With exceptions, BBC & Barrell being two of them for me.  Managed to get two of the new BBC origin series via a friend, can't wait to try them.  I did get a sneak taste in August via their Thieving The Barrel tour, albeit at full barrel strength.  I liked all three (the rye is not out yet).  I'd bet dimes to dollars that, once proofed down, they'll make excellent daily drinkers.  I hope they intend to sell some barrel strength versions of the same.

The fireplace is awesome.  I want one.  OK, perhaps not in tropical Puerto Rico.  Still, want one somewhere.

I will buy a ton of Blanton's in Europe.  Gold, SFTB & W12 at good prices; much of has already been bought and cached.  Psyched about that. Though I'm not so sure with how viable that approach shall remain with the dollar dropping.  Much of it is to drink & keep (especially the Gold, the SFTB seems hot for me). And much could be swapped.  Because in Puerto Rico, I quite simply cannot get much bourbon.  So I play the game I can play to get the bottles I want.  And say what you will, the Blanton's & W12 are excellent currency.  Not that anyone here would ever indulge in such naughty practices.  It's just nice to know that I could.

I envy you guys your ability to drive, chat, see things, etc.  I do it when I can, but I'm simply limited in that regard.

I have a Bernheims.  I have not yet opened it....how do you like it?

I don't even know what the Rocky thing is.  I'll have to google it.

A surprise for me?  WTRB and especially RR SiB are favorites.  Great deals and thankfully not entirely discovered by the Taters.  Probably not "rare" enough to elicit excitement. 

Also totally sold on ECBP, the recent Larceny BP, and Bookers.  Didn't like the Little Book I tried, but it was an oddball (Malted #6)  Having a freaking field day with KC.  Just shared one with a friend here in PR who likes bourbon but hasn't much access to it.  He went ape over the KC12.  I also really like the Dickel 15.  I probably would have tried all these later on in the process.  Watching the guys here and scrolling through lots of old posts got me to try all of the above sooner rather than later.

I enjoy buying different stuff and trying them out. Reviews and forums are great but everyone’s palates are different and if I relied on that maybe I would miss something that the tribalism causes some to dismiss. 

The B&T bottle was a gift for my wife. We had a little secret Santa gift exchange and the folks at ABC recommended it. I’m not a jerk so I thanked her because the thought was super cool. I don’t really get into any bourbon discussions outside of pouring her sips and asking how she likes them.  We recently had some friends over and she took down quite a few blind sips of McKenna SB 10 and loved it. Used to keep bottled of EW SB around. We both loved it and it was a tremendous value, too bad you can’t get the stuff anymore. We are headed to Kentucky in February so hopefully I can snag a couple bottles.

I enjoy Bernheim, it’s a sweet laid back sipper overall. Plenty of cinnamon in my sips, some chocolate and vanilla are the main tastes I noted. Stuff is also a great value. Don’t need to break the bank.

I stocked up on Blantons, WSR, and Eagle rare not too long ago since I was lucky enough to get them retail. WSR at ABC is only $22 and I found ER10 on the shelf for $39 while I was on the trip in Seattle as well. I also keep a couple bottles of BT handy, it’s my wife’s daily favorite and I can always find it at a local grocery store liquor section for $25. All good values at retail in my mind.

Funny story since I’m in this thread (no crotch pick I promise), walked into a local drug store liquor section Saturday to get a bottle of WT101 (just finished a bottle and I always keep it around as a daily) and I’m looking behind the counter. The cashier asks me what I’m looking for and I say nothing in particular, wanted to see if you had WTRB (not super rare but it’s not easy to find around me and this store has a surprising supply of nice juice). Dude says I know what you want, I bite and say what’s that? He asked me to hang on and finishes up with the current customer. After he tells me he has Blantons of all things. That was literally Saturday. Long story short, three bottles retail! I mentioned I was gifting one and he brought out two in nets and one in the box. He was excited to tell me the boxes one would be perfect for the gift.  Super nice dude, he said he hides them for customers because small box dealers buy them all then flip for double and that pisses him off.

Drove straight to my buddies place and dropped off a bottle and I plan on gifting another bottle to a good friend of mine (keeping the other one for myself).

Anyways I digress, yeah I love Russels stuff in general. Love the flavor and have been drinking WT for 20+ years. Always consistent and overall thankfully under the FOMO radar for whatever reason. 

I actually enjoy even the regular larceny bottle, it’s somehow warmer to me than Wellers and very nutty, also pick up lots of chocolate.  The Dickel BiB bottle I got was very interesting. The nose is extremely damp wood going on. It mellowed out quite a bit but you definitely taste a strong, earthiness on every sip.

That Rocky thing, was a Rocky Marciano commemorative bottle (undefeated heavyweight champ). I’m a huge boxing fan and being that I love Marciano (and bourbon) my father gifted me the bottle way back when. It is from the 70s. On the back of the bottle it list all 49 of his fights. Also coincidentally enough since I’m responding to you, my father is from Lares PR.

A210581D-731B-4458-97F5-84C82C5F8403.jpeg

Edited by Luisrm02
  • I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.