Do I have a weird fetish?

Obree
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After I finish my glass, mostly late at night before going to bed, I clean up and put the empty Glencairn on the kitchen counter. Of course I should put it in the dishwasher, according to my wife, but that is a whole different discussion. When I get into the kitchen in the morning and see the empty glass, I always nose it. Wonderful caramel and vanilla notes still present, very often!

Is it just me? Love that smell!

• I like it 1

The smell I'd get is of my own clotting blood due to Wifey reaction.

OK, just kidding.  

It's you.

• I like it 3

Actually that overnight-to-dry, then sniff is indeed a thing among more than a few Bourbonians .    I've done it occasionally; but, only when I've forgotten to clean up properly.   There is indeed a slightly different, yet still pleasant aroma.   But, I still prefer my Glencairns (or any of my glassware) cleaned up an put away.   Newly poured Bourbon in clean  glassware is something I do enjoy... both the aromas and the flavors.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

This thread is not at all what I expected based on the title.

🤣 What a dull lot!

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, mal00768 said:

This thread is not at all what I expected based on the title.

I know .. what a letdown lol 

• I like it 2

I do the same exact thing.  Bourbons always leave a nice sweet oak odor behind.  Non peated scotch usually leaves a faint to medium strength sweet odor sometimes with a hint of oak.  Peated scotches always leave an odor that can best be described as peanuts.

• I like it 1

Sniffing empty bourbon glasses is not a unique fetish.  Now, if you were licking dried bourbon off of Heidi Klum's feet while eating a bratwurst sandwich and listening to elevator muzak, you might have our interest.  Most of us would say "Here, hold my beer..."

• I like it 9

4 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Sniffing empty bourbon glasses is not a unique fetish.  Now, if you were licking dried bourbon off of Heidi Klum's feet while eating a bratwurst sandwich and listening to elevator muzak, you might have our interest.  Most of us would say "Here, hold my beer..."

🤣

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

🤣 sort of the response I was hoping for!

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, Obree said:

🤣 sort of the response I was hoping for!

Yeah, that our Mbroo.

I of course called Salma Hayek's people.  And, as usual, her lawyers told me to Go Away.  <sigh>.  I need simpler fetishes.  Maybe this glass-smelling thing is worth reconsidering.  It's obtainable.

• I like it 2

It's not like it gives me half a mongrel or anything, but yes I do enjoy the smell of a bourbon or scotch glass from the night before.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, beasled said:

It's not like it gives me half a mongrel or anything, but yes I do enjoy the smell of a bourbon or scotch glass from the night before.

Me, too.  But, where an overnight residue of scotch reminds me of the specific  flavor notes of that specific scotch, the bourbon residue takes me back to the general aromas I get from any Kentucky bourbon rickhouse on a hot Summer day.  Both great, but different for me.

Which brings me to actually drinking an unfinished 1oz+ pour the next day.  The bourbons are undrinkable.  The effects from standing out overnight severely deteriorates the whiskey.  However, most scotch pours seem barely affected, if at all, for some reason.  My best unscientific guess from a plastic salesman is that it has to do with the new charred barrel v. used barrel differences between the two whiskey types.  🤪

• I like it 2

29 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Me, too.  But, where an overnight residue of scotch reminds me of the specific  flavor notes of that specific scotch, the bourbon residue takes me back to the general aromas I get from any Kentucky bourbon rickhouse on a hot Summer day.  Both great, but different for me.

Which brings me to actually drinking an unfinished 1oz+ pour the next day.  The bourbons are undrinkable.  The effects from standing out overnight severely deteriorates the whiskey.  However, most scotch pours seem barely affected, if at all, for some reason.  My best unscientific guess from a plastic salesman is that it has to do with the new charred barrel v. used barrel differences between the two whiskey types.  🤪

Interesting! An experiment to try no doubt, but perhaps not one I can convince the wife of having any scientific purposes :D

• I like it 2

On 1/14/2023 at 1:03 PM, Anwalt said:

Yeah, that our Mbroo.

I of course called Salma Hayek's people.  And, as usual, her lawyers told me to Go Away.  <sigh>.  I need simpler fetishes.  Maybe this glass-smelling thing is worth reconsidering.  It's obtainable.

😆 The Heidi Klum remark, much as the Selma Hayek one, got me thinking, if there is any younger audience here they would likely have no clue what this is about....doubt if they know who these ladies are!

• I like it 2

On 1/14/2023 at 3:45 PM, smokinjoe said:

Never tried that, but I will give it a test. Think I have some Scotch somewhere still....... On the other hand, a pour is not intended to survive the night, right?

On 1/14/2023 at 9:45 AM, smokinjoe said:

I can’t say that ever left one unfinished Joe.  Maybe should have a few times…

• I like it 1

On 1/14/2023 at 9:45 AM, smokinjoe said:

Stumbled on this thread a few minutes ago JUST AFTER finishing the last half ounce of a Belmont Farm Bonded Virginia Whiskey - not a bourbon (matured in apple wood and white oak),  just a whiskey by definition - left over from last night (went to bed when SD led 27-3 over Jax).  Had it been a bourbon, I might have sniffed BUT not swallowed based on previous mistakes.  The BF BIB VW, however, was pretty good.

So, put me in the bourbon sniffer column (when I forget to clean the glass the night before).

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Obree said:

😆 The Heidi Klum remark, much as the Selma Hayek one, got me thinking, if there is any younger audience here they would likely have no clue what this is about....doubt if they know who these ladies are!

Just go to Yahoo!  They post selfies all day long.  The old hot chicks seem to want to show they still got it.  The young hot chicks want to show they got it but complain they are being objectified yet they sell themselves on several social media sites either for money or clicks.  

The old bourbon dudes take a peek and then start hitting the bourbon sites.  The young bourbon dudes get jack slapped by their wives for peeking and the next thing they know they are old bourbon dudes.

• I like it 5

8 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Just go to Yahoo!  They post selfies all day long.  The old hot chicks seem to want to show they still got it.  The young hot chicks want to show they got it but complain they are being objectified yet they sell themselves on several social media sites either for money or clicks.  

The old bourbon dudes take a peek and then start hitting the bourbon sites.  The young bourbon dudes get jack slapped by their wives for peeking and the next thing they know they are old bourbon dudes.

Wisdom and experience😉

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Yeah, as Harry said - a bourbon sniffer.  😜

• I like it 2

I do tastings for the general public and accounts so I often have anywhere from 6 glencairn glasses to 6 dozen glencairn glasses to wash, usually from the previous  day. Loading those things in the dishwasher is an all out aroma bomb. On a related, side note - I had a guy at a tasting ask me how I cleaned my glassware. Told him I generally put them in the dishwasher. He asked if I use Jetdry. Told him I did. He said - yeah I thought so, I can smell it in the glass. You should quit using that.

WTF???!!! REALLY!!!??

• I like it 2

24 minutes ago, Old Hippie said:

I do tastings for the general public and accounts so I often have anywhere from 6 glencairn glasses to 6 dozen glencairn glasses to wash, usually from the previous  day. Loading those things in the dishwasher is an all out aroma bomb. On a related, side note - I had a guy at a tasting ask me how I cleaned my glassware. Told him I generally put them in the dishwasher. He asked if I use Jetdry. Told him I did. He said - yeah I thought so, I can smell it in the glass. You should quit using that.

WTF???!!! REALLY!!!??

Wow.  That's a delicate Schnautze!

• I like it 2

10 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Wow.  That's a delicate Schnautze!

More like a Snobbish Schnautze!

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.