Do I have a weird fetish?

Obree
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

I do tastings for the general public and accounts so I often have anywhere from 6 glencairn glasses to 6 dozen glencairn glasses to wash, usually from the previous  day. Loading those things in the dishwasher is an all out aroma bomb. On a related, side note - I had a guy at a tasting ask me how I cleaned my glassware. Told him I generally put them in the dishwasher. He asked if I use Jetdry. Told him I did. He said - yeah I thought so, I can smell it in the glass. You should quit using that.

WTF???!!! REALLY!!!??

We don't use Jetdry but I do hand wash all my whiskey glasses because there is an aroma present when I use the dishwasher.

• I like it 4

I hand wash all (well, almost all) of my Bourbon glassware.   Partly for the reasons noted; lingering chemical odors, mainly; but, also for safety reasons.    More than once, I've had Glencairns spontaneously destruct (without even being handled at the time of such destruction!), so I feel like a dishwasher may be a step too far in such risk.   Besides, I rarely if ever have more than a dishpan full of glassware to hand wash.    A few minutes to avoid risk?  Not a big investment of time to me.

• I like it 3

On 1/17/2023 at 12:37 PM, Old Hippie said:

I do tastings for the general public and accounts so I often have anywhere from 6 glencairn glasses to 6 dozen glencairn glasses to wash, usually from the previous  day. Loading those things in the dishwasher is an all out aroma bomb. On a related, side note - I had a guy at a tasting ask me how I cleaned my glassware. Told him I generally put them in the dishwasher. He asked if I use Jetdry. Told him I did. He said - yeah I thought so, I can smell it in the glass. You should quit using that.

WTF???!!! REALLY!!!??

At about age 60 (back in the Dark Ages, now), I developed some sensitivity to fragrances in stuff like laundry detergent and even dishwasher pods and powders.  HENCE, "we" switched to fragrance-free cleaners.  While I know from experience that I can small "citrus scent" on glassware run through a dishwasher, I've never been able to pick up anything from JetDry or similar as long as it doesn't have perfumes added to it.  BUT!!  As some others previously posted here and in older threads RE: glassware, I tend to hand wash my Glencairns and similar tulip-shaped small glasses (sommelier wine sippers and antique martini glasses, for example) after a few shattered in the dishwasher.

BACK ON THREAD - A not so weird glass fetish a friend of ours taught me is:  If the Old Fashioned/martini/Gleancairn/port/wine glasses are a bit cloudy, use a dish TOWEL (not a paper one) to polish them gently while carrying on a casual conversation.  She did this while asking me about the rhododendron just outside the kitchen window.  When I realized what she was doing, I commented on it.  She handed me a towel and a glass and said, "We only have a couple more to do."  I have to tell you, that was one of the nicest, AND WARRANTED dissings I've ever gotten.  I now have the habit and do it without thinking when emptying the dishwasher or the drying rack (with hand-washed stuff in it) while watching Turner Classic Movies late at night.  AND THOSE GLASSES SPARKLE!!  I'd seen movie bartenders doing this for years and never tumbled to how easy, quick, and satisfying it is.  Your guests will be impressed even if they don't know WHY those glasses look so good.

• I like it 3

On 1/17/2023 at 9:35 PM, flahute said:

We don't use Jetdry but I do hand wash all my whiskey glasses because there is an aroma present when I use the dishwasher.

Agree, the dishwasher can leave something behind that impacts the nose and possibly even taste,  Maybe another strange thing, but I always nose the empty glass before pouring, just to ensure there is nothing left behind that would be of influence.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

At about age 60 (back in the Dark Ages, now), I developed some sensitivity to fragrances in stuff like laundry detergent and even dishwasher pods and powders.  HENCE, "we" switched to fragrance-free cleaners.  While I know from experience that I can small "citrus scent" on glassware run through a dishwasher, I've never been able to pick up anything from JetDry or similar as long as it doesn't have perfumes added to it.  BUT!!  As some others previously posted here and in older threads RE: glassware, I tend to hand wash my Glencairns and similar tulip-shaped small glasses (sommelier wine sippers and antique martini glasses, for example) after a few shattered in the dishwasher.

BACK ON THREAD - A not so weird glass fetish a friend of ours taught me is:  If the Old Fashioned/martini/Gleancairn/port/wine glasses are a bit cloudy, use a dish TOWEL (not a paper one) to polish them gently while carrying on a casual conversation.  She did this while asking me about the rhododendron just outside the kitchen window.  When I realized what she was doing, I commented on it.  She handed me a towel and a glass and said, "We only have a couple more to do."  I have to tell you, that was one of the nicest, AND WARRANTED dissings I've ever gotten.  I now have the habit and do it without thinking when emptying the dishwasher or the drying rack (with hand-washed stuff in it) while watching Turner Classic Movies late at night.  AND THOSE GLASSES SPARKLE!!  I'd seen movie bartenders doing this for years and never tumbled to how easy, quick, and satisfying it is.  Your guests will be impressed even if they don't know WHY those glasses look so good.

Works particularly well with nice large wine glasses where this shows even earlier!

• I like it 1

On 1/17/2023 at 7:02 PM, Anwalt said:

Wow.  That's a delicate Schnautze!

Was it Fred Minnick? 😁

• I like it 2

22 minutes ago, Obree said:

Was it Fred Minnick? 😁

LOL.

• I like it 2

On 1/13/2023 at 4:23 AM, Obree said:

After I finish my glass, mostly late at night before going to bed, I clean up and put the empty Glencairn on the kitchen counter. Of course I should put it in the dishwasher, according to my wife, but that is a whole different discussion. When I get into the kitchen in the morning and see the empty glass, I always nose it. Wonderful caramel and vanilla notes still present, very often!

Is it just me? Love that smell!

@Obree Not weird at all! The French call that "la fond du verre," or "the bottom of the glass." In the industry, nosing the empty glass after the contents have dried is something we do commonly for barrel analysis, since you can tell a lot of oak profiles, yeasts, etc. You can also pick up some faults that way, especially faults that might not easily present themselves in a glass is full of the spirit. 

At any rate, glad to hear you're enjoying it! Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 5

It's almost like an hours old Dutch Oven under the covers. It was initially enjoyable to.share with your significant other but when it lingers into the night and you are the only one who notices, it is not as enjoyable. 

• I like it 3

On 1/21/2023 at 12:42 AM, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Obree Not weird at all! The French call that "la fond du verre," or "the bottom of the glass." In the industry, nosing the empty glass after the contents have dried is something we do commonly for barrel analysis, since you can tell a lot of oak profiles, yeasts, etc. You can also pick up some faults that way, especially faults that might not easily present themselves in a glass is full of the spirit. 

At any rate, glad to hear you're enjoying it! Cheers,

Nancy

Thanks for the input Nancy! makes me feel a bit more sane:D

Spoiler

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.