Cocktail hour--2023

scratchline

Is it possible that the clock has turned over again on this topic? 

A really nice Manhattan to ease into the NFL postseason.  I think I may have finally found a use for this whiskey which as you can tell from the fill level has taken some time.  I picked it up a couple of years ago trying to make nice with a liquor store that took down my name when I asked about the Wild Turkey 13 yr.  No Wild Turkey later and the Calumet Farm is still waaay too woody for my taste.  But 2 to 1 in a Manhattan, it's fine.  Now if I can work some gold leaf into the recipe, I can credibly charge my friends enough to recoup what I spent for the bottle!

Happy 2023, fellow Bourbonians!

IMG_0561.thumb.jpg.65516237aefe01a7d11c842b96f4ca5f.jpg

I’ve settled pretty firmly into amaro cocktails. Last night’s black Manhattan. Admittedly  not a lot of effort in presentation, but when the only garnish is a Luxardo, I don’t think it matters a lot. 

98B465FE-BC16-4BDD-8846-21CA0F05BAC2.jpeg

• I like it 2

New thread, must contribute! Personal favorite, Mezcal Negroni.  Pre dinner drink. Pouring here today and trying to use to our advantage to get into our favorite restaurant that doesn’t take reservations. 

E130B039-70D5-400B-86A5-FB1950836EF6.jpeg

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, MM818 said:

New thread, must contribute! Personal favorite, Mezcal Negroni.  Pre dinner drink. Pouring here today and trying to use to our advantage to get into our favorite restaurant that doesn’t take reservations. 

Inspired by you, I went the mezcal route.  Not the easiest since I find mezcal, like Scotch, tough to mix but this one works great.  Oaxacan Orange with sal de gusano rim and grapefruit/chicatana ant garnish.  

So what mezcal do you use for the Negroni?  And what's the restaurant?

IMG_0566.thumb.jpg.cde084d2d82f87b0982fa5745f619f57.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, scratchline said:

So what mezcal do you use for the Negroni?  And what's the restaurant?

The mezcal I use is Del Maguey Vida. Inexpensive, smokey, does the trick.  You went off on the incidentals!

Shibuya was the intention but we weren’t going to wait. The rain did not discourage their clientele.  They have 8 bar seats and about 15 table seats. We were about 20th in line when I signed in.  Went across the street to old standby King’s Fish-house which isn’t a bad consolation. 

Wondrich calls this a Reanimator. Rye and Amaro Nonino 1:1. I like a dash of black walnut bitters. 

3E03710F-9973-42CB-862E-EB2360BCB915.jpeg

• I like it 2

Forgot to get a photo but I made my first Martinez last night. Absolutely wonderful.

• I like it 1

Had a barrel aged Old Fashioned made with MM101. Added some Bada Bing cherry/juice, orange bitters, Angostura bitters, and a small wedgie of a cutie clementine. Delicious!

• I like it 1

An American Trilogy, after a luxurious dinner of a Moe’s Homewrecker burrito… :D  

D3689D01-281D-430D-987E-DA11CB0C9186.jpeg

• I like it 2

My wife and I had a road trip yesterday, just about 90 minutes each way with some shopping at the destination. When we got back home, I made an interesting little throw-off cocktail. I took a shot of tequila and added two slices of Wickles Dirty Dill pickles. Then I added three teaspoons of the pickle brine. No ice. It was tasty and satisfying.

Wickles is an Alabama brand that makes a variety of pickles. The Dirty Dills are spicy (as in red pepper) sour dills.

• I like it 1

A Bensonhurst while watching some college hoops.  Getting low on my Cynar, so that’s going to be a near future re-load.

6871F6FD-5AD1-415C-84D8-EFE244CB4201.jpeg

• I like it 1

25 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

A Bensonhurst while watching some college hoops.  Getting low on my Cynar, so that’s going to be a near future re-load.

6871F6FD-5AD1-415C-84D8-EFE244CB4201.jpeg

What are the ratios in that one?

16 minutes ago, flahute said:

What are the ratios in that one?

Hey, Brother.  I use these:

BENSONHURST

2oz Rye 

1oz Dry Vermouth 

1/3oz Maraschino Liqueur 

1 Barspoon Cynar

Shake and Strain into coupe cocktail glass 

7 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Hey, Brother.  I use these:

BENSONHURST

2oz Rye 

1oz Dry Vermouth 

1/3oz Maraschino Liqueur 

1 Barspoon Cynar

Shake and Strain into coupe cocktail glass 

Thanks! This sounds downright lovely.

I do enjoy it.  For my tastes, I really have to be precise on the Dry Vermouth.  If I go over, it quickly becomes overbearing and breaks up the continuity of the other ingredients.  I’ll even go short on it to be safe.  

Sunset old fashioned before New York and Philly. It looks watered down but I assure you it’s not. Damn good too. 

F7DA58A6-1824-4579-9276-9505FA86C762.jpeg

• I like it 2

It’s a dark, dank, and dreary out, so looking for a pop of brightness.  Aviation gives a lively color and bright taste finishing up IU-MSU college hoops and awaiting NFL playoffs.

8EE59CCC-ED62-44D7-A1AC-CB1E351028AC.jpeg

• I like it 1

Black Manhattan. If the ice looks slightly colored, it’s because there’s seven dashes of Fee Bros barrel-aged bitters in the ice ball. 

4BC784F0-E02F-4C95-A04C-BCDD85822C44.jpeg

• I like it 1

From Regan’s “The Joy of Mixology”, it’s a Scofflaw this afternoon.  I think I need a bigger rye for this, as the Dry Vermouth and lemon juice have too much of a presense in this as prepared.  Perhaps dialing back those would help, as well.  

EFAAEA69-D631-42DE-9741-F23FB8FACE63.jpeg

• I like it 1

A Greenpoint this afternoon listening to radio Westwood One pregame for Niners and Eagles.  This is so much better than yesterday’s effort.  Delicious.  

99ADF85E-C1DA-453F-954E-FDD7FF3EAA31.jpeg

• I like it 2

Tonight's was, yet again, something I made up.  I based this on a cocktail a German WW II paratrooper/bartender at our on-post club served me circa 1968 when I was "on guard duty" and not supposed to drink.

2 OZ cognac

2 OZ COKE.

lemon twist

"They never smell it.  Coke is good that way.  Just don't try to walk."

Over the years, I've tried variations.  The latest is --

2 OZ cognac (Courvoisier VS is OK - don't bother with really expensive brandy)

2 OZ maple cream soda (seasonal release)

black walnut bitters

ice in an OF glass

Substitute club soda and maple syrup for the cream soda

• I like it 1

Overindulged on Thursday night at a retirement party. Felt awful yesterday. Put in a half day of work and played one of my better rounds of golf in the afternoon. 🤷‍♂️ In bed by 630pm. 

First drink of the weekend. Jobs report, will we or won’t we shoot the fucker down, be damned. 

68F58444-2C44-42BD-847D-880161AE2F1C.jpeg

• I like it 1

The wife’s drink on the left was a vodka, grapefruit, flower petal concoction and mine was a Mezcal Negroni Vert that were both on the drink menu. My first cocktail, while waiting on the wife, was bartenders choice of rye, apple brandy, spritz type of thing served in a high ball glass. 

Petit Trois on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks. We have our usual restaurants that we frequent. PT is one of the few high end restaurants that we keep in the rotation. We had pate, escargot, steak frites, and trout almondine.

8947DF23-E1A7-4D59-866E-98C7E05B322B.jpeg

Edited by MM818

I gots stuff to do outside, but it’s turned chilly and supposed to start raining at any minute.  Been spinning in circles for the last half hour trying to figure out what to do.  Screw it.  I’m whipping up a Revolver and going out in the garage to sit and watch it rain…

7C00CCC5-8E36-45FA-BD5B-3EABC9600829.jpeg

• I like it 1