Cocktail hour--2023

scratchline

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Have you tried the Luxardo cherries?   They're pricey, (~ $20.00), but they are insanely good and the only ones that we'll use.    We tried the Bada Bing's and neither of us cared for them.    

I have tried Luxardo and agree they are good but didn't think they were "that" much better than the Bada Bing ones and not worth the premium...for me anyway.  There are a couple versions of Bada Bing...I like the "bourbon" ones.  They are about $7 a jar.

• I like it 1

I missed SB Sampler this weekend.  Bummed for many reasons, but very much so for missing Bruce’s cocktail bar.  I understand his Foster & Third was served, so whipped up one this afternoon to sip and enjoy while sitting out in the beautiful Sunshine reminiscing on so many great times had at past Spring Samplers and Fall KBFs.  

DB3953BC-BB50-4A5C-BF54-9D17ACC44058.jpeg

It’s been a bit since I’ve made a sazerac, and the mood hit right today.

I used 100p Rocket Top Rye from Redwood Empire, which has a %mash of

87 rye

7 barley

& 6 wheat.

It’s good, but a bit sweet tasting.  Trying to decide if I want to open a new different bottle of rye or not though…

AB538D83-4E77-4032-B97F-DAD2C9E53090.jpeg

• I like it 2

Black Demure.  Lousy name.  Good cocktail.

2 oz bourbon

1/4 oz creme de mure

1/4 oz Cointreau

1/4 oz sugar syrup

3/4 oz lemon juice

I used Makers since it was the lowest proof whiskey I had and the original recipe called for WT 81(?).  Really nice sour variation.  The Giffard's creme de mure punches through with a lot of flavor.IMG_0841.thumb.jpg.665b09e07ba771e01c3f58b817c24c0e.jpg

Paper Plane.  No Nonino so subbed San Simone.  San Simone is the traditional local amaro of Turin and the Piemonte.  Works well here.  There's a reason the Paper Plane is a modern classic.

IMG_0893.thumb.jpg.324272ab4609ad410589019fcf8f2b38.jpg

• I like it 2

Pre derby mint julep.  Pretty sure there will be more to come!

Prost!!  Phil 

20230506_155246.jpg

• I like it 1

Me too, Phil.  My mint has come in great this year.  Very aromatic.  Sipping on this drink my nose gets buried in the garnish, and it is spectacular.  Rebel Cask Strength is my whiskey of choice, and it’s pop really shines.

I’m sipping, but Chuck Cowdery says MJs are meant to be slammed.  I won’t argue with a legend, but sipping this is nice. 

8E192DC4-4AF1-4CFB-ACE4-D73DA6976FE7.jpeg

• I like it 3

I'm sipping also. Decided to follow Keeneland's lead and made with regular MM.  Very easy drinking for sure.

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Me too, Phil.  My mint has come in great this year.  Very aromatic.  Sipping on this drink my nose gets buried in the garnish, and it is spectacular.  Rebel Cask Strength is my whiskey of choice, and it’s pop really shines.

I’m sipping, but Chuck Cowdery says MJs are meant to be slammed.  I won’t argue with a legend, but sipping this is nice. 

I love the cup!

I tend to slam Mint Juleps😅

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Wasn't feeling a Mint Julep, so Mrs. Skinsfan and I opted for Old Fashioneds on the back porch instead.

Sagamore Double Oaked* rye is the base.

Not really pretty to look at in an insulated cup😎

*jury is still out this rye, but it works in this cocktail.

20230506_183749.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
Added pic

Following y’alls lead with a mint julep. 
Made with a BC Elijah Craig pick. 

2 1/2oz bourbon. 1/4oz simple syrup, 1 dash Angostura. 
Big cube goes in first to slow down ice melt. Crushed ice on top. 

IMG_6480.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 4/26/2023 at 3:31 PM, Clueby said:

I have tried Luxardo and agree they are good but didn't think they were "that" much better than the Bada Bing ones and not worth the premium...for me anyway.  There are a couple versions of Bada Bing...I like the "bourbon" ones.  They are about $7 a jar.

I'm fine with Bada Bing cherries but, (as much as it pains my inner "cheap bastard"), Luxardo is the only brand of cherry that Mrs. Skinsfan likes.  

14 hours ago, flahute said:

Following y’alls lead with a mint julep. 
Made with a BC Elijah Craig pick. 

2 1/2oz bourbon. 1/4oz simple syrup, 1 dash Angostura. 
Big cube goes in first to slow down ice melt. Crushed ice on top. 

IMG_6480.jpeg

Big cube and crushed.  Genius!

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

As we all know, a great cocktail is only as good as the assembled parts. On this derby day, the mint that I bought has let me down. While the Julep was a good cocktail, it wasn't a great cocktail because of substandard mint. Going forward, following your lead Joe,  Amy and I are growing our own mint. Lesson learned. 

Prost!!  Phil 

4 hours ago, Phil T said:

As we all know, a great cocktail is only as good as the assembled parts. On this derby day, the mint that I bought has let me down. While the Julep was a good cocktail, it wasn't a great cocktail because of substandard mint. Going forward, following your lead Joe,  Amy and I are growing our own mint. Lesson learned. 

Prost!!  Phil 

This is the first year we had our own mint - much better.

Ours is in the garden but in a buried pot. I'm told it will spread quite a bit if not contained. 

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

This is the first year we had our own mint - much better.

Ours is in the garden but in a buried pot. I'm told it will spread quite a bit if not contained. 

I can attest to that. Sort of a problem but good excuse to make mojitos constantly.

• I like it 1

Mint juleps are a regular summer drink for me. Not just a Derby day drink. I got skunked at the store looking for mint on Friday. I should probably go back to growing my own. 

Despite making Montana my home nearly 20 years ago, as a Virginia kid, I feel constitutionally required to point out that the julep was invented in Virginia and everyone who thinks it’s only a Kentucky Derby thing can kick rocks. 

• I like it 2

On 4/30/2023 at 4:58 PM, smokinjoe said:

I missed SB Sampler this weekend.  Bummed for many reasons, but very much so for missing Bruce’s cocktail bar.  I understand his Foster & Third was served, so whipped up one this afternoon to sip and enjoy while sitting out in the beautiful Sunshine reminiscing on so many great times had at past Spring Samplers and Fall KBFs.  

DB3953BC-BB50-4A5C-BF54-9D17ACC44058.jpeg

Looks good! But it is always better in Bardstown...

• I like it 2

On 5/6/2023 at 4:23 PM, smokinjoe said:

Mint Julep is basically a shot of bourbon with a bit of sugar (always optional for me) on ice with mint. Always best slammed otherwise you are just rapidly diluting your bourbon with ice water!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Looks good! But it is always better in Bardstown...

Yep.  And, always better when you’re making them!  👑

Hollywood Nights. Mezcal and brandy based cocktails to kickoff the evening. 

You can see the Health Department grade on the left side of the pic. Just want y’all to know this is a classy joint! 

IMG_0284.jpeg

• I like it 1

Swung by the Roosevelt Hotel last night before dinner reservations. Wanted a drink at The Spare Room but it wasn’t quite open so had to settle poolside at The Tropicana.  I had an OF, Screwball, banana liqueur cocktail named TCOB (sadly it was not the King) and wife went w frozen drink of the day, PC. After a few sips we walked away from both of them. Evening was salvaged at Republique which always delivers an exceptional experience. 

IMG_0286.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 5/12/2023 at 2:30 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Mint Julep is basically a shot of bourbon with a bit of sugar (always optional for me) on ice with mint. Always best slammed otherwise you are just rapidly diluting your bourbon with ice water!

They are much more sippable when made with higher ratio of bourbon, demerara syrup, a dash of Angostura, and a big cube to slow down the melting.

I bought the Missus a new glass, and broke it in with an old school favorite. Whiskey Sour.

20230514_144911.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 2