Bourbon & Your Dog

jvd99

20 hours ago, jvd99 said:

After a getting into the Barker’s Mark, my dog thinks he can date Taylor Swift…

IMG_6028.jpeg

Just to be perfectly clear, my like is for the pooch not the outfit.😄

I still haven't fully recovered from the national tragedy that occured on February 12, 2023.😪 (not really, looking forward to the game tonight)

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Worst holiday season of my life. 

My wife and I ended up being really sick and had to cancel two family parties that we were hosting and had spent several hundred dollars on.  Minor shit.  Yesterday, our beloved pet woke up feeling ill. We took her to the emergency pet clinic yesterday and they thought she would be fine to treat at home.  Unfortunateluy, she passed away over night last night.   😪

I wish I could understand why this shit happens.  She was only 10 years old.  We had hoped for several more years.  

Resized_20220617_195721(1).jpg

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

My wife and I ended up being really sick and had to cancel two family parties that we were hosting and had spent several hundred dollars on.  Minor shit.  Yesterday, our beloved pet woke up feeling ill. We took her to the emergency pet clinic yesterday and they thought she would be fine to treat at home.  Unfortunateluy, she passed away over night last night.   😪

I wish I could understand why this shit happens.  She was only 10 years old.  We had hoped for several more years.  

Sorry Mbroo58. That’s terrible

• I like it 3

25 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

🙏🙏🙏

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Prayers to you and your family.

• I like it 2

So sorry to read about your sweet pet.

Hopefully she passed without pain.

• I like it 2

Awww.   That sux.   Sorry to hear of the wifey's illness, mbroo5880i.   Hope she's back in the pink quickly.   

Also, so sorry to hear about the sudden passing of your doggie, and I hope your and your wife's grief is as brief-yet-adequate as it needs to be to allow you both to move on.   I know how tough it can be.   Prayers for you both.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

So sorry to hear about your loss mbroo5880i. Our pets do become valuable family members as the years move on, and having them move on is never easy. While the pain is tough now, hopefully you will also be able to remember all the great times you had in the 10 years together.

• I like it 2

I hope 2024 finds you and your wife on the mend.  I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Dogs are the perfect being.  They accept us for who we are.  They see no faults and only want to be with you.  They love unconditionally.  They do not care how you look, how much money you make or what kind off car you drive.  We could all learn a lot from them, if we were smart enough to listen.

• I like it 8

Sorry for your loss, @mbroo5880i.  Not much consolation, but I have been there and done that far too many times.  

We have adopted 13 dogs over the last 20 or so years, most of them seniors, and I still remember them all fondly (even the little nearly-blind Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix with one snaggletooth who tolerated exactly three people: my wife, her mother, and my mother). 

Hopefully time will soften your pain.  

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Very sorry to hear that. I sincerely hope that you and your wife are feeling better and that the pain regarding your dog passes quickly, leaving behind only happy memories.

• I like it 1

On 12/31/2023 at 9:23 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Sad news.  You have my deepest condolences @mbroo5880i
Dogs are the best, and anytime we lose one, it's like losing part of ourselves.  Stay strong brother.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, markandrex said:

I hope 2024 finds you and your wife on the mend.  I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Dogs are the perfect being.  They accept us for who we are.  They see no faults and only want to be with you.  They love unconditionally.  They do not care how you look, how much money you make or what kind off car you drive.  We could all learn a lot from them, if we were smart enough to listen.

Perfectly said.  👍

On 12/31/2023 at 10:23 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I am so sorry for you. I lost a chow in the same way. Sometimes Vets aren't very aware. It hurts...... alot. Deep breath...

On 12/31/2023 at 7:23 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Ah damn my friend, so sorry, so sorry. I feel your pain. 10 years ago we lost our favorite cat 2 days before Christmas. That Christmas and every one since I toast the memory of my buddy with my finest.

Do all the grieving you need to do. Only time will heal the hurt you now feel.

• I like it 1

On 12/31/2023 at 10:23 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I'm sorry man.  That sucks

• I like it 1

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts, prayers, and best wishes.  We have had many pets over the years.  I have been with many in their last moments in life as I hugged them while they were euthanized.  However, this one really hurt because it was unexpected.  Grief over a pet is always a journey of sadness, anger, regret, and ultimately joy.  Not in the loss but in the experience of unconditional love.  I am still very sad yet I can look back and realize the joy she brought me.  My wife and I spent the entire week looking back with 20/20 vision trying to identify what we might have missed that ended up where we did.  Each day brings a different realization or perspective but none really matter given that they won't bring her back.  

We have another dog who similar to us is not quite herself.  We are focused on helping ourselves and her through this difficult time.  She has been a key part of the healing process.

• I like it 6

• 1 month later...

Surprise snow storm today.  My two dogs and my sons two dogs.  He and his wife are in Aruba.  😀

The small black dog is their 13-year old Pomeranian, Buppy.  He is so slow, the snow buried him just walking around the yard. 😜

The beagle, Remy, is mine.  She has been puppy-sitting all week.  She is the new alpha dog in the family.  She just doesn't know it yet.  😉

The little gray Shi-Poo, Layla, is their dog. She 2 years old going on 6-months. She was excited to meet our new dog, Betty, the white one who is 14 months old.  They absolutely love playing together and had a great time in the snow.

Now, I am drinking bourbon and they are napping next to me.

This was early in the snow storm.  We ended up with around 5 inches.  

image000002.jpg

image000001.jpg

image000003.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 9

We fixed a toilet and replaced the weatherstripping around the garage doors this weekend.  Rather pedestrian, workin' man stuff calls for a crackling hearth and a few Manhattans powered by the remains of the Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star handle.  Bailey, as usual, abstained from the libations, but seems to enjoy the fire.  

IMG_20240218_175559__01.jpg

• I like it 7

• 2 weeks later...

Warning: Thread Drfit!

Didn't know exactly where to put this; but, seems semi-close, though no actual Bourbon content to go with the doggie story.

Did anyone else happen to catch Jon Stewart's hosting of Monday night's "Daily Show"?    Poor Jon was telling about the passing of a beloved rescue pooch his family had adopted some time ago.   He absolutely could NOT keep it together.   He was a borderline-basket-case trying to get the story told.     I was tearing up right along with him, and I'm sure many of y'all would be too if you saw it.

That's it.   Return to your business, friends.

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Warning: Thread Drfit!

Didn't know exactly where to put this; but, seems semi-close, though no actual Bourbon content to go with the doggie story.

Did anyone else happen to catch Jon Stewart's hosting of Monday night's "Daily Show"?    Poor Jon was telling about the passing of a beloved rescue pooch his family had adopted some time ago.   He absolutely could NOT keep it together.   He was a borderline-basket-case trying to get the story told.     I was tearing up right along with him, and I'm sure many of y'all would be too if you saw it.

That's it.   Return to your business, friends.

I caught it on YouTube a couple of days later, and was right there with him.  Having had a rough 2023 with losing 3 of our furbabies (putters rather than dogs), it definitely was a tear-jerker. 

Sorry for continuing the thread drift.  Here's an AI image to try to get things back on track (prompt "Create an image of a dog drinking high quality bourbon").

Gemini_Generated_Image.thumb.jpg.2d82484a4842dcaa63ef45ff155ce314.jpg

• I like it 2