BOTM 07/23 Eagle Rare 10yr

flahute

Apologies for missing a couple months. Lots of work travel has had me on the back foot so I'm taking advantage of this holiday weekend to get one in.

Given that it's our nation's birthday I thought it appropriate to choose a bourbon with an eagle both in the name on on the bottle. Plus we haven't done this one in a long time.

This one is for our resident biggest fan of BT products.

So how is ER10 holding up? Well, I currently only have store picks on hand and they are all fantastic. Unfortunately the shelf product is allocated in some places and if not they don't last more than a day. Sipping on this store pick now and it doesn't really deviate from the classic profile (as some picks do). Very much in the BT wheelhouse - softer flavors and traditional caramels and vanillas - nothing too spicy. And it's all amped up to a higher level. I don't taste the age on this like with some other bourbons. ER10 has a mellower profile that doesn't come on strong so the effect of the 10 years is a more subtle complexity instead of being a flavor bomb. BT is still bringing it with this label for the private barrel program.

For those of you who can still find this on the shelf, how is it?

Happy 4th everyone!

• I like it 3

I have had some stellar store picks over the years.  Here's looking at you Westport Wine and Whiskey.  However, the last several standard bottles have been meh.  I am not sure if it is the bourbon, my palate, or a change in preferences.  

I used to prefer ER10 over BT but over the last several years that has changed.  

ER still shows up in Indy occasionally @ around $30.  However, right now it is a pass for me.  I prefer WT101 or OF100.

• I like it 4

I haven't bought a standard-stock ER10 in several years...  not that I could have recently, most of the time anyway.   I sorta gave up on the brand after about 3-in-a-row were 'meh' or maybe not even that good.   

Now private pix on the other hand have been almost all good-to-great, with several stellar ones (I was involved in picking two of 'em over a couple years... a couple years ago).

I agree with Steve that the previous profile of ER10 was somewhat more understated, elegant... even back in the day; and most of the store pix I've ever had were in that vein, with just a few exceptions that had one or more notes amped up a bit.

Still a good solid pour and probably a value selection as well, if one could find the good private pix.

It's one I always keep around and seemed like a fitting pour for tonight (even before I saw this thread).  This bottle just got opened yesterday. 😳

20230704_205133.jpg

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have had some stellar store picks over the years.  Here's looking at you Westport Wine and Whiskey.  However, the last several standard bottles have been meh.  I am not sure if it is the bourbon, my palate, or a change in preferences.  

I used to prefer ER10 over BT but over the last several years that has changed.  

ER still shows up in Indy occasionally @ around $30.  However, right now it is a pass for me.  I prefer WT101 or OF100.

I never got to try a pick from Westport Wine and Whiskey.

Otherwise, my same feelings exactly.

I have so, so many stories about ER. I’ll give y’all a break though. As noted in the “What Bourbon Did You Purchase” thread, I got lucky and was able to purchase another bottle of a Binny’s ps ER today. 😀 My stash of ER had dwindled to one bottle of ER 10/101 open, one ER open and two in the bunker. I stumbled across a bottle at a grocery store a few weeks ago, and with my two recent purchases in the last few days at Binny’s, my ‘flock’ is now a bit healthier. 😁 

IMG_2304.thumb.jpeg.08549bf18f588a67fbb0ffe0487690f1.jpegIMG_2315.thumb.jpeg.7553dab1d57d4046cce5b356ddc30302.jpeg

• I like it 7

20 hours ago, Clueby said:

It's one I always keep around and seemed like a fitting pour for tonight (even before I saw this thread).  This bottle just got opened yesterday. 😳

20230704_205133.jpg

Crap, Clube!!!  👍🏻 Well done.  I know MrsClubey must’ve been helping you out! 😉

Nice choice for a BOTM.  I have one ER of recent purchase (a couple weeks? months? ago).   As soon as we give up on the Nats vs. Reds (and the Nats are making this easy- bases loaded with nobody out, and a shaky Reds pitcher got himself out of a jam; Nats have left maybe five on in two innings. PITIFUL!)

Reruns of Perry Mason are coming up.  I'm off to the storage room to find that ER.  WATCH THIS SPACE (or one like a couple posts below).:ph34r:

FROM A FEW MINUTES AGO while some Medicare Advantage adverts were driving me crazy --

PRELIM - A basic ER 10 picked up a couple months ago when I happened to ask a Virginia ABC store whether they had any "allocated" products that hadn't been sold.  Although I knew from a VA ABC email that purchasers were limited to "one per", clerk sold me two.  Tonight's is the first one I've opened.

NOSE - Caramel is carried up by a soft alcohol bloom.  I got no heavy spice, oak, or char.  BUT!  What I smelled was nice if a little "simple".

FIRST SIP - Spice and a little caramel with a slight alcohol burn are present and balanced if not huge and impressive.  Oak is now present and distinguishable but not huge.  It adds to the balance although the taste is not as complex as, say, a memorable bourbon has.  I was surprised that, as a 10 YO bourbon, even at 90 proof, my palate could pick up no char or "soot".  Which I do like in some bourbons.

SECOND SIP - Finish for the first sip carried over for several minutes - caramel and spice lingered.  The second sip overlaid that finish with more caramel and some oak astringency but still no char.  By now, my palate was numb enough (or, after fifteen minutes of periodic sipping and thinking, drunk enough🙄) to enjoy the ER regardless of the alcohol burn (which is STILL a surprise because ER is, after all, a 90 proofer just like its cousin, basic BT).

FINISH - Just like after the first sip, I got a lingering caramel and spice for a few minutes.

THOUGHT - I used to find ER a little harsh.  Perhaps, I liked the sweeter, younger bourbons back then.  Whatever, at under $40, I'd be a buyer.  At over $40, I have my doubts.  Currently, it hits the shelves at about $42.  Hence, I am ambivalent.

MAYBE, increases in prices are a fact of life - compare what "you" would pay for a new mid-sized American car in, say 1980, with what you;d pay today.  OR, look at what "you" paid for you house in 1975 and compare it to the likely sales price today.

IOW, I never thought of ER as something special, just a bit more expensive than bottom shelf.  I still think of it like that although the bottom shelf has moved up in price, too.

• I like it 5

29 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Nice thoughtful analysis Harry.   Your impressions of standard stock ER10 mirror most of mine in recent years.    And, the cost today vs previous eras was useful as well.   Good Job!

I will say that I have not seen the gleam. Have tried several times over the years but was always underwhelmed. I am a big BT fan but it may be that I have only purchased standard ER10, never a store pick. Prices here are $65-75 for a 750ml. I can buy a WT01 magnum for $42 and no disappointment.  I might try again if on sale.  

• I like it 1

I've always kinda liked, but not loved, ER10.   Doesn't matter if it's the standard, or a pick.   I prefer BT.   That being said, it absolutely sings with a splash of Stagg Jr.

Years ago,  in the early 2000's, (I think 😅), we took an annual snowboard trip to Mt Snow Vermont.   They have a liquor store attached to a 7-11 on the main drag and they were selling it for $19.99 a bottle.  They had that pricing for a couple of years and  I bought a case both times and gifted most of it.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 2

Great choice this month Steve. 

I quite like ER10.  I have to admit, the frenzy around it from taters turns me off and surely reduces my enthusiasm for the liquid.  But that's my problem, not the whiskey's.

That said, sometimes it just does not suit my palate some days.  I've had a few single barrels that were too musty for my taste. However, when I get one that is hitting on that dark cherry cola note (miniature Stagg Jr taste) then I'm a big fan.  Sometimes a well-aged 90 proof bourbon really hits the spot. 

I agree with others that ER10 makes a GREAT home vatting blend with Stagg Jr.  I learned that here on these SB pages (thanks SBers).

(P.S., sorry I will always refer to the NAS Stagg product as "Jr." because to me the real "Stagg" will always be GTS!! 😀)

On 7/6/2023 at 2:47 PM, Grady330 said:

I will say that I have not seen the gleam. Have tried several times over the years but was always underwhelmed. I am a big BT fan but it may be that I have only purchased standard ER10, never a store pick. Prices here are $65-75 for a 750ml. I can buy a WT01 magnum for $42 and no disappointment.  I might try again if on sale.  

At $65-70 a 750,  I am a hard pass for the basic ER.  Under $40 if I have NONE, I'll buy a bottle but not hunt; it has to fall in my lap.  I will pass at over $45-50 unless I am in a REALLY good mood.B)  As I said, five to six years ago, I found it too harsh (too much wood back then???) so passed a lot in favor of the 5-6 year (or so "they" said it was that old) basic BT.  I still prefer the BT, but I tend to like the younger (6-8 year) bourbons, anyway - maybe closer to 6 if I had to pick a particular age  (looking at YOU, HH6BIB).  So, like you, WT 101 KSBW or something similar would get my money when the offer price s $45-50.  At my purchase price of $42 out the door, this particular bottle was worth the price.  About half the bottle is waiting for me to get in the mood to have some more.  It is not calling to me, but I am content to know it is there when I WANT it.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
SPELLAGE, DAMMIT!!
  • I like it 4

This is one of my wife's favorites. (I like it too) It's always a buy for us when we find it under $40.

It's also a nice "rare" one to pull out for guests.

The state store here just upped the price from $34.99 to $ 39.99 so we need to re-evaluate our price point.

However, we have a few to hold us over until we make a decision.

20230706_112124.thumb.jpg.534943426b24c3686091967bac3c4790.jpg

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

While it’s close sibling Buffalo Trace is my desert island bourbon, I get more giddy when I see an ER on the shelf.  And here in these parts, it’s been a pretty regular get on a weekly basis for a good bit of time.  Very drinkable with above standard 90 proof, 10 years age (don’t let that number just fly over…TEN YEARS!), and beautiful packaging that oozes a specialty to its contents.  Whenever I pour it, it’s like I’m celebrating something.  Upper $30’s to mid $40, like what it is here, is a definite buy for me.  

AEC5041A-EB1B-4B18-A04C-7B7BC9787104.jpeg

• I like it 1

I like it. Its also a Bourbon most of my guests who not regular drink whiskey seem to dig. Its an uncomplicated pour I guess. I usually pay around 35 Euros for it, which is good value I reckon. 

IMG_20230720_202104578.jpg

17 minutes ago, Sven Heuchert said:

I like it. Its also a Bourbon most of my guests who not regular drink whiskey seem to dig. Its an uncomplicated pour I guess. I usually pay around 35 Euros for it, which is good value I reckon. 

“It’s an uncomplicated poor I guess.”   Nicely said  @Sven Heuchert.  👌  Now that you mention it, I reckon most of my regular bourbons are uncomplicated. Probably why I like ‘em. 🤔 

Biba! 
Joe

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Sven Heuchert said:

IMG_20230720_202104578.jpg

If it were available, that's pretty close to regular retail price around here.  Problem is, such a small amount is distributed in Indiana, it gets hidden in the manager's office.    

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

“It’s an uncomplicated poor I guess.”   Nicely said  @Sven Heuchert.  👌  Now that you mention it, I reckon most of my regular bourbons are uncomplicated. Probably why I like ‘em. 🤔 

Biba! 
Joe

Reminds me of a great song....

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Reminds me of a great song....

Skynrd fan. Loved them and them Rossington Collins after that.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

I was at TW the other day before lunch.  I heard people talking the next aisle over.  I customer asks a clerk for Eagle Rare.  The clerk asks another clerk who says "We got a case in this morning and it's all gone".

There are some items, I feel like when a customer asks, the staff should have a button to press, and it plays one of those recorded laugh tracks from the old tv shows. 🤣

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

A bandmate happened upon a cache of ER10...no idea where he found it...but he bought me a bottle. I was flabbergasted and delighted! I used to see it at the grocery in town off and on....and I'd pounce on a bottle when I saw it but only one, wanted to give others a fair shake at getting some too. But I haven't seen it locally in a couple years now....

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up an ER10 on my visit to the BT distillery this Summer. Always one of my favorites.  You are correct in that it is in the BT wheelhouse. I always tell people if they want to know what BT would taste like if aged longer, they should try ER10.  

• I like it 2