Do you find yourself buying/drinking, less barrel proof and higher proof whiskey?

Skinsfan1311

Over the years, I've noticed the trend of people searching out and buying barrel-proof, and higher proof whiskey.  It seems like people new to our "hobby", (lifestyle 😏), appear to chase down proof, regardless of quality, or price!   

Like much of my SB brethren, I have a lot of barrel-proof whiskey bunkered.   *More than I can drink in my lifetime:ph34r:  .

While I do enjoy higher proof whiskey, more and more I find myself reaching past those and drinking lower proof pours.     

Do you find yourself doing the same?  

*That being said, I still have a hard time passing up a deal when one of my favorites, (I'm looking squarely at you JDSBBP & OF1920 & WTRB), go on sale

• I like it 1

Good topic Mike. 👌  I have an oar in that canoe too. I’d been slowly heading down that path for a while. Along with a combination of reasons, getting Covid seemed to hasten things a bit. 

I have purchased a number of barrel proof offerings over the years, but never got into a frenzy over them. If a WLW, Weller Full Proof or GTS  became available at a good price, I’d certainly take the plunge.

The first thing I reach for from my cabinet are MM and BT. Next in my line of preference is ER, Weller SR and my 2023 Weller Blend. For a little higher proof enjoyment I have HH 7 BIB, ET BIB, my BIB blend and a MM 101. The only barrel proofers I have open right now are a 2007 WLW and a bottle of our SB HHSS 127.6 proof. 

IMG_2982.jpeg

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Good topic Rick. 👌  I have an oar in that canoe too. I’d been slowly heading down that path for a while. Along with a combination of reasons, getting Covid seemed to hasten things a bit. 

I have purchased a number of barrel proof offerings over the years, but never got into a frenzy over them. If a WLW, Weller Full Proof or GTS  became available at a good price, I’d certainly take the plunge.

The first thing I reach for from my cabinet are MM and BT. Next in my line of preference is ER, Weller SR and my 2023 Weller Blend. For a little higher proof enjoyment I have HH 7 BIB, ET BIB, my BIB blend and a MM 101. The only barrel proofers I have open right now are a 2007 WLW and a bottle of our SB HHSS 127.6 proof. 

IMG_2982.jpeg

All those are good choices.  I find that 100-115 is firmly in my wheelhouse.   WT101, MM 101, VOB 90, BT, OGD Bib etc...If I'm feeling froggy....OGD114 or Pikesville Rye.....

Who the hell is Mike?😅

• I like it 2

A few years back I was really into the higher proof bourbons. I still love ECBP, but I often water it down some. 

My wheelhouse is 90-115 proof (big wheelhouse!). 

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Who the hell is Mike?😅

Post edited. Sorry Rick. I was doing three things at once. Probably was thinking about how I might give  Mike ( @mbroo5880i)  some 💩 here. 😇

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Post edited. Sorry Rick. I was doing three things at once. Probably was thinking about how I might give  Mike ( @mbroo5880i)  some 💩 here. 😇

🤣😅 well, we're both cheap bastards,  so I can understand the confusion! 

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

A few years back I was really into the higher proof bourbons. I still love ECBP, but I often water it down some. 

My wheelhouse is 90-115 proof (big wheelhouse!). 

I do the same with some higher proofs.

I still enjoy the occasional pour of ECBP and JDSBBP, but usually with a small splash.  It used to be over a large cube, because I love the way they evolve,(especially Booker's, before it got stupid pricey) , but I tend to drink them too fast before they get watered down.😅

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

🤣😅 well, we're both cheap bastards,  so I can understand the confusion! 

Whoa, whoa whoa. Wait a minute there. Cheap bastards?  I prefer cost conscious old farts. 😇 

Carry on.😊

• I like it 3

I have found in recent years, I do tend to pour more 90 to 115 and many of those are over a small cube or a few sips neat, followed by a few drops of water.     I mostly noticed myself doing this after the advent of the pandemic; but, I think I was doing it a god bit before that, as well.    I always was "what am I in the mood for" kind of imbiber. 

In past years one of my favorites was Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage, that being well-below 90.    At one time I had upwards of 30-bottles of that, divided among about 4 or 5-really nice barrels, and a few that were at least above average (to my taste buddies, anyway)... plus a few more that I took flyers on and was less-than-impressed with.   Those flyers were fishing expeditions, back when it used to worth looking for those special barrels.     It became a near-zero-chance kinda deal at some point, and I stopped buying any more EWSB.    I still have about 10-bottles, all of which (I think) are from really nice barrels, and I have one open pretty much all the time, and fairly regularly pour from it.      That's almost the only thing I drink some weex or even longer. 

In fact, I think I'll go pour one right now!  😉🤔😛

• I like it 4

Oh how I would like to get my hands on some more of the I. W. Harper from the bourbon heritage collection from years gone by.  It was a 80 proof pour but what sweet flavor.

• I like it 1

Especially with the change of seasons, my bourbon rotation  shifts from Summer's neat sub-100s (usually 4R YL or EW 86 or basic BT if I have it) to neat BIBs and some sub-120s.  THIS YEAR, however, the shift took place, but I've caught/found myself pouring about 1.5 oz. of a BP but adding at least one ice machine cube to it without even thinking about it too much.  Rich's comments about EWSB sure hit home.  I used to buy them regularly as the Virginia ABC always seemed to have them and regularly put them on sale at $3 off MSRP.  Also like Rich, I found the circa 2012-2014 shelvers to be pretty good with some being excellent and worth hunting.  By 2018, however, I stopped buying them - too many clunkers.  Alas, back then I had no idea what a "bunker" was and certainly had no idea that my faves would become rare or nonexistent.  

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Oh how I would like to get my hands on some more of the I. W. Harper from the bourbon heritage collection from years gone by.  It was a 80 proof pour but what sweet flavor.

I still have one bottle left @Special Reserve. As a matter of fact, I have one bottle of each of the BHC left. 😮

IMG_2986.thumb.jpeg.ab976fc00534b5e17afbdd457aa604e6.jpeg

• I like it 8

22 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I still have one bottle left @Special Reserve. As a matter of fact, I have one bottle of each of the BHC left. 😮

15 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

That's awesome.

I'll add:  that is freaking awesome.

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

In past years one of my favorites was Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage, that being well-below 90.  

I still have about 10-bottles, all of which (I think) are from really nice barrels, and I have one open pretty much all the time, and fairly regularly pour from it.      That's almost the only thing I drink some weex or even longer. 

In fact, I think I'll go pour one right now! 

This reminds me, I need to crack open one too.  Except for one prefire dusty, all of my EWSiB are from vintage 2002 to 2006 (the year on the label).  From my stash (probably a dozen bottles total) I have had only one bad barrel and it was a "2004" vintage.   All the others have been superb.  I, too, quit buying them when the age statement started dropping.

• I like it 2

Good topic for a thread, @Skinsfan1311

Yes I also have a large bunker of barrel proof offerings.  And yes, I too find myself gravitating more and more to lower, I'll say "medium" proof, offerings.  I almost never touch a barrel proofer except on a Friday or Saturday night.  I don't drink regularly on weeknights, but when I do it's almost always a 101 proofer or below.

My wheelhouse is definitely in the 94-115 proof range.  

That breaks down to be EC12 at 94 proof on the low end and Old Forester 1920 on the high end.  OF1920 is kinda hot at 115 proof so I prefer an ice cube with it, but I really like 1920 so I'll extend my ceiling up to 115 just so I can include it.  Right below 115 proof would be the Barrell Bourbon small batches (usually around 112-113 proof), Maker's Mark PS (~110 proof) and my absolute favorite bourbon of all, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel at 110 proof. 

If I had to make all bourbons only a single proof, I would vote for 107.   I just think it's the closest thing to a "perfect" proof we can get.  There are many great bourbons bottled at 107 and I just think it works the best for my palate overall.  It certainly works best for the Beam profile, and I figure its one reason I like Baker's bourbon so much.  Booker's is too hot at 126-127, KC SiB is also sometimes too high octane at 120.  Regular KC9 at 100 is just about ideal, but something about Baker's is just a little bit better.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

34 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

That's awesome.

18 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I'll add:  that is freaking awesome.

Got lucky with that set. Long story short, many years we were out of town near the Iowa border. We stopped at a liquor store, and  I looked around. The good news is that  I bought that set, and several individual BHC 50 ml bottles. The bad news is they had two ER 10 101 decanters. Basically the corks were 💩. Ya win some, ya loose some.🤷🏻‍♂️

• I like it 3

6 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The bad news is they had two ER 10 101 decanters. Basically the corks were 💩. Ya win some, ya loose some.🤷🏻‍♂️

I also had the poor judgement to pass on several ER10 101 decanters.  Partly because some of the corks were shot, and partly because, being a newbie, I was scared of possible lead leaching.  Turns out, I overreacted.  Luckily, I did pick up a Wild Turkey 8/101 decanter from the glut era.  Joe you are so right,...  ya win some, ya lose some....

Edited by Kepler
spelling
  • I like it 4

Newb here - I don’t drink much higher proof stuff at this point,  but I do buy it thinking I will grow into it.  Have come across 3 Staggs at retail the last few months and figured I’d be foolish to pass on them.  

Rare Breed and 1920 are about as hot as I consume at this point - really enjoy both though. 

I don't drink alot of barrel proof stuff but I do like to branch out every now and then.  It seems like I am usually adding water to them to get to a sweet spot.  I most often gravitate to things between 90-115 proof.  Even them some at 115 might benefit from some water.  I think OF1920 is great but even better with just a wee bit of H2O.

Depending on the bottle, a couple small ice chips usually do the trick and I too seem to do this more frequently as the years pass. I am glad to have accumulated a good deal of BP whiskey and when I do purchase not it is often the SBBS variety. There is no law against water/ice and I prefer to tune the whiskey myself anyway plus I'd rather pay for whiskey than water.😎

• I like it 2

My palate and preferences are all over the place depending on the day.  I normally start with a higher proof as I can always ice th glass down to my evening choice.  

• I like it 2

My understanding is barrel proof/higher proof is how to get the non chill filtered version of whichever brand.  There is a lot more of the good flavors and better mouth feel.  You can always add a little water or ice if wanted.

• I like it 2

Probably the last year, I have drifted down on the proof. I really enjoy the VOB 90 & George Remus. I still dig the BP's but not a 1st grab & I have no problem dropping a cube at times; something I would never do a couple years back. There are times that the lower proof doesn't have the pizazz & a BIB usually cures the itch.

• I like it 2

What I've discovered is the only readily available 80 proof Bourbon I really enjoy if Four Roses.  The other 80 proof brands are just well liquor to me.  At 90 proof, that's where something starts to have some potential.  I'm a long time fan of bottled in bond too.

• I like it 4