Do you find yourself buying/drinking, less barrel proof and higher proof whiskey?

Skinsfan1311

18 hours ago, markandrex said:

My palate and preferences are all over the place depending on the day.  I normally start with a higher proof as I can always ice th glass down to my evening choice.  

Same here.

When I do reach for a higher proof, I'll take a sip, before adding anything, and go from there..

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 3

I probably drink just as much BP as I used to because it just tastes so damn good. I do always add some water to keep my palate from blowing out but it's still at a higher proof. Now most of the BP I drink are barrel picks done by me so I know it aligns to my palate perfectly. ECBP which is always available around here is very consistent so I drink a lot of that too.

That said I still drink plenty of OF86, BT, and RR10yr so it's not all high proof.

• I like it 5

I haven't really thought about it until this great topic came up. I used to specifically target whisk(e)ys of all ilk by proof and age. I have come to learn that neither higher proof nor older age is a guarantee that I will enjoy it. 

It sometimes comes down to how I am drinking at the time. If I am savoring and trying to identify flavor/aromas then usually higher proof and or older with a dash of water. If I am chilling with a friend or one of my sons and engrossed in deep conversations to solve earth shattering issues then I pick a no brainer like OF 1910 or a single malt aged in sherry casks.

I definitely no longer invest the extra money in High Proof or older whiskeys unless I have tried and really liked them. 

• I like it 2

@Skinsfan1311 Great topic Mike, and sorry I'm just now seeing this. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on whether I'm talking about my nose & taste buds vs. my liver, anything under 100 proof anymore tastes like water to me anymore. Probably because I've had to analyze tens of thousands of barrels at cask strength over the years and maybe my nose and palate are finally fried! 😅 

Seriously, if I'm having a pour just for fun at the end of the day and not doing it for work purposes, I'll first test it out at its natural barrel strength. If I feel like adding a sliver of ice or a small cube to let it open up, I'll take it from there. At least when you start with high proof, you have the choice of whether or not you want to drink it at its natural strength or water it down a bit. But at least the choice is yours to make, and isn't made by someone else at a distillery. 

• I like it 7

17 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Skinsfan1311 Great topic Mike, and sorry I'm just now seeing this. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on whether I'm talking about my nose & taste buds vs. my liver, anything under 100 proof anymore tastes like water to me anymore. Probably because I've had to analyze tens of thousands of barrels at cask strength over the years and maybe my nose and palate are finally fried! 😅 

Seriously, if I'm having a pour just for fun at the end of the day and not doing it for work purposes, I'll first test it out at its natural barrel strength. If I feel like adding a sliver of ice or a small cube to let it open up, I'll take it from there. At least when you start with high proof, you have the choice of whether or not you want to drink it at its natural strength or water it down a bit. But at least the choice is yours to make, and isn't made by someone else at a distillery. 

Thanks and that's how I sometimes  approach higher proofs.

I'll  take a sip, and leave well enough alone.

Sometimes I'll add a cube, and take a sip right away, then the occasional sip while the ice melts, as the flavors evolve.

I can certainly understand the "tastes like water" thing..I feel the same way about sub-90 proof whiskey, (except for Scotch...which seems to drink hotter than their proof)

It's Rick, BTW.  Damn that @fishnbowljoe! 😂

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 3

23 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks and that's how I sometimes  approach higher proofs.

I'll  take a sip, and leave well enough alone.

Sometimes I'll add a cube, and take a sip right away, then the occasional sip while the ice melts, as the flavors evolve.

I can certainly understand the "tastes like water" thing..I feel the same way about sub-90 proof whiskey, (except for Scotch...which seems to drink hotter than their proof)

Too funny.  The old man @fishnbowljoe confused greatness with greatness but mixed up our names and now the internet is confused.  Joe meet Joe meet Mike meet Rick meet Joe.  Oh, what the hell, just drink another shot and celebrate Nancy, Joe, Rick and Mike.  

• I like it 2

23 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Too funny.  The old man @fishnbowljoe confused greatness with greatness but mixed up our names and now the internet is confused.  Joe meet Joe meet Mike meet Rick meet Joe.  Oh, what the hell, just drink another shot and celebrate Nancy, Joe, Rick and Mike.  

52 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

image.jpeg

• I like it 3

25 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Damn right I'm confused.

It's on the internet, so it has to be true. I guess that my name is Mike.

I feel kind of silly for answering to "Rick" over the years

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 5