What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2024

PaulO

I saw Heaven Hill 7 year bottled in bond at the grocery store.  They had multiple cases.  With a six bottle 15% off discount, the price is $50 and change.  No can do.  🤌

• I like it 7

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

I saw Heaven Hill 7 year bottled in bond at the grocery store.  They had multiple cases.  With a six bottle 15% off discount, the price is $50 and change.  No can do.  🤌

I would pass on it as well for that price.  It's decent enough, but not a favorite and nowhere near worth $50....at least not in my opinion.  I have a bottle that I received as a gift last spring and it has hardly been touched in 10-ish months.  Might be time to turn that bottle into my cocktail bottle next time I have guests over for poker.

• I like it 1

I passed on Larceny BP C923 yesterday.  $69 and I had already spend more than I should have on bourbon the previous week.

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

Still pissed they did away with the 6yr bib whitelabel at $12. Id probably be more willing to pay up for that than this 7yr version. The 6 was gold. 

• I like it 6

On 1/3/2024 at 11:27 AM, FasterHorses said:

Still pissed they did away with the 6yr bib whitelabel at $12. Id probably be more willing to pay up for that than this 7yr version. The 6 was gold. 

+1 

2 hours ago, Pjcowboy said:

Willet 8 yr. Wheated for $230. 

I just saw one for $999, the you saw was a bargain in comparison 

One store I rarely go to, definitely Taterville, was receiving their BTAC shipment while I was there.  No Saz 18 but 4 out of 5 isn’t bad.  The owner offered it for $1000.  I said sure, if you mean all 4, he replied no, each.  I wished him well and left.  I’m certain they will be gone soon, but I will never know.  No sense in going back there.

i talked to the driver outside, he said several stores were getting their shipment today.  I decided to just call it a day.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, markandrex said:

One store I rarely go to, definitely Taterville, was receiving their BTAC shipment while I was there.  No Saz 18 but 4 out of 5 isn’t bad.  The owner offered it for $1000.  I said sure, if you mean all 4, he replied no, each.  I wished him well and left.  I’m certain they will be gone soon, but I will never know.  No sense in going back there.

i talked to the driver outside, he said several stores were getting their shipment today.  I decided to just call it a day.

I thought you were going to say - rushed home and started cranking out batches of candy and cookies.  🎁😉

• I like it 3

On 1/10/2024 at 4:27 PM, markandrex said:

15 hours ago, PaulO said:

I thought you were going to say - rushed home and started cranking out batches of candy and cookies.  🎁😉

Awesome, @PaulO!  😀

• I like it 3

On 1/3/2024 at 3:21 AM, PaulO said:

I agree at $50.  But the local blue warehouse store has it for $31.48 so the tater in me won out.

• I like it 1

I'm pretty much passing on everything, as I'm trying to thin the herd by concentrating on open bottles.*  Mrs. Skinsfan & I stopped in one of our favorite LS to buy a bottle for my  brother-in-law.

KC18   $199.99**

BT $49.99

JDSBBP Rye  $89.99

Booker's $109.00

*I still ended up buying a bottle of Cooper's Craft 100.   In my defense I...ahh,,,.......whom I kidding?   I have no defense. 😑

** I almost pulled the trigger on this one.  Almost.  

• I like it 3

33 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm pretty much passing on everything, as I'm trying to thin the herd by concentrating on open bottles.*  Mrs. Skinsfan & I stopped in one of our favorite LS to buy a bottle for my  brother-in-law.

KC18   $199.99**

BT $49.99

JDSBBP Rye  $89.99

Booker's $109.00

*I still ended up buying a bottle of Cooper's Craft 100.   In my defense I...ahh,,,.......whom I kidding?   I have no defense. 😑

Yesterday I passed on a bottle of Booker's at $179. At $109 it's only over the state miinimum by $10, in other words a real bargain in the high end bourbon world.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Yesterday I passed on a bottle of Booker's at $179. At $109 it's only over the state miinimum by $10, in other words a real bargain in the high end bourbon world.

Thanks for sharing!

Booker's used to be bargain..a lot of bang for the buck.  It's, somewhat,  readily available around here for an average price of $129.99

I quit buying when the cost went North of stupid.  

JDSBBP is probably the biggest bargain out there and I consider it a high end whiskey. 

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

KC18   $199.99**

BT $49.99

JDSBBP Rye  $89.99

Booker's $109.00

I bit on a KC 18 a couple of months ago. 

I love the 9 and 12 year releases, so I figured the 18 would be twice as good as the 9. 

Boy, was I wrong. It's good but  not 200 bucks good. I enjoy the 12 more than the 18. 

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

I love the 9 and 12 year releases, so I figured the 18 would be twice as good as the 9. 

Boy, was I wrong. It's good but  not 200 bucks good. I enjoy the 12 more than the 18. 

Thanks for the heads-up!    

With the exception of the maple flavored crap, I love all iterations of KC that I've tasted and the 12 year is a staple on our bar.

The same thing happened to me, with the 12 & 15 year.   The 15 year is good, but not $130.00 good.

• I like it 1

48 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks for the heads-up!    

With the exception of the maple flavored crap, I love all iterations of KC that I've tasted and the 12 year is a staple on our bar.

The same thing happened to me, with the 12 & 15 year.   The 15 year is good, but not $130.00 good.

I really liked the 18. I didn't pay 200.  I think it was 150 ish. While no bourbon is really "worth" that, it's still a pretty good pour. I did a sbs with Baker's 13 and liked the KC slightly more..and I think the Baker's is fantastic. 

I don't currently have a KC12 but a sbs is in my future.

• I like it 4

I have liked the 15 better than the 18 in a SBS and anecdotally but I tend to find Knob Creek on the more tannic/drier side. I was drinking a 9 year pick last night and thinking it was in a really good spot as far as age/how much oak it had picked up. I have wanted to do a SBS of the 9yr SmB, 12, 15, and 18. If I had to guess, I bet the 12 would be the favorite blind.

• I like it 3

19 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

8 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I have liked the 15 better than the 18 in a SBS and anecdotally but I tend to find Knob Creek on the more tannic/drier side. I was drinking a 9 year pick last night and thinking it was in a really good spot as far as age/how much oak it had picked up. I have wanted to do a SBS of the 9yr SmB, 12, 15, and 18. If I had to guess, I bet the 12 would be the favorite blind.

I have had store picks close to and slightly over 15 years, they were 120 proof so they wouldn't be a fair comparison to the 15 year 100 proof version.  I have had several bottles of KC12 and they are quite good.  However, I find KC9 to be an awesome whiskey for the price.  I even enjoyed it as a NAS version but I believe KC9 is more consistent.

It is interesting to read about it being a little more on the drier side.  I can see that.  I really enjoy the dark fruit Smith Brothers cough drop, vanilla and light oak profile of KC9.  I get the same profile at 12 years.  However, older than 12 years old and I started picking up more of the drier toothpick oak profile.  

• I like it 4

The WT distributor here in PR has Shenks at $110 and BB at $120. I like them, but not quite that much. The M10 rye at $160 on the other hand.....

Also passed on Larceny C923 at $70. Mainly because I've spent a bit much and figured I'd slow it down. That, and I have plenty of the C922 and B523 and am plenty happy with both of them. 

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 3

Passed thru Paduca KY yesterday.   And passed on all the BT products.   W12 at 259.00, EH Taylor SiB and SMB, 199 and 149, 1.75 WSR 99.00..  regulars 750ml of BT 59.00.    Easy passes..

• I like it 6

I've noticed the HH7 and HMcK10 have gone from allocated to 'on the shelf' around here.  Not a fan of the HH7, but have always enjoyed McKenna.  Since the shelf price is up to $60 now, I'll just keep drinking from the bunker.

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

I've noticed the HH7 and HMcK10 have gone from allocated to 'on the shelf' around here.  Not a fan of the HH7, but have always enjoyed McKenna.  Since the shelf price is up to $60 now, I'll just keep drinking from the bunker.

Easy passes.

McKenna10 was pretty good back in the $30.00 screw-top days.  It never has been, or will be, worth much more.   There's a lot great whiskey in the $60.00 range.    

• I like it 3