What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2024

PaulO

I saw several HMcK B.I.B. the other day.

Posted (edited)

In the past few months I have passed multiple times on purchasing a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114.  Reason: Rare Breed is only $12 more, so I just keep buying Rare Breed.    

Edited by MyBrainOnWhiskey

4 hours ago, MyBrainOnWhiskey said:

In the past few months I have passed multiple times on purchasing a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114.  Reason: Rare Breed is only $12 more, so I just keep buying Rare Breed.    

Around here, OGD 114 is $24 and Rare Breed about $50 now.

• I like it 1

After much anguish (not!), I passed on this.

https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1753677

Probably could have got it for $30 in the early 90's.  But then, I could have bought Apple stock for $12 in 1996...

• I like it 1

On 5/2/2024 at 10:48 PM, FasterHorses said:

May go back for it but passed on the chattanooga whiskey founders blend today. Ive liked most everything from these guys but $65 for a two year age statement made me want to check with you guys. Anybody had this one?

I too am a Chatt fan but I'm not doing a 2 yr anything, I dont care who makes it.

• I like it 4

22 hours ago, fosmith said:

After much anguish (not!), I passed on this.

https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1753677

Probably could have got it for $30 in the early 90's.  But then, I could have bought Apple stock for $12 in 1996...

I just cashed in a share of Apple stock from 1996 and bought a bottle of...er, no, a new house. 😜 jk

On 5/2/2024 at 9:48 PM, FasterHorses said:

May go back for it but passed on the chattanooga whiskey founders blend today. Ive liked most everything from these guys but $65 for a two year age statement made me want to check with you guys. Anybody had this one?

No I haven't.  I've had several of their different mashbill single barrels, but not that one.  Some of their stuff is too far out there for me and this would fall into that category for me.

I would have had a “difficult” time passing up that JDSBBP Rye or Bourbon.  That is some great juice and at a great price for Illinois!

• I like it 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, VWIndy said:

I would have had a “difficult” time passing up that JDSBBP Rye or Bourbon.  That is some great juice and at a great price for Illinois!

Ive got some of both, don't "need" anymore 🤣

Edited by jvd99
  • I like it 1

On 6/5/2024 at 11:32 AM, jvd99 said:

Lots of JD

IMG_7014.jpeg

Nice prices and availability. 

• I like it 1

On 6/5/2024 at 11:56 AM, VWIndy said:

Yeah, we rarely see JD BP in Indy and when we do the prices are a lot higher.

• I like it 3

Bottles that I was very tempted by today, but ultimately passed on.  Prices were all on point, so I didn't pass because of price.  Overpriced bottles rarely even tempt me these days.

Rittenhouse store pick

Hard Truth rye ($5 off tempted me but I still passed)

Russell's Reserve SiB store pick CNF (hard to pass on a CNF at a good price but I have plenty already)

Ardbeg Uigeadail

I ended up buying a Stellum Black bourbon for $40, a Glenmorangie 2017 Astar, and a handle of EC small batch for one of my decanters.

• I like it 2

BLAUM Bro. Rye, I knew nothing about it and there is scarcely much info out there. The mashbill is intriguing and the air dried cooperage. Not an NDP so for me that’s a positive. Was originally 50 something and marked down to 39.99. I figured I’d do some research as I do not need a shelf turd contaminating the bunker, too much stuff I know I’ll enjoy. I was actually in the store looking for the latest GD BIB but it hasn’t hit GA yet and my previous bottle is gone so it’s time to reup.

22 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

BLAUM Bro. Rye, I knew nothing about it and there is scarcely much info out there. The mashbill is intriguing and the air dried cooperage. Not an NDP so for me that’s a positive. Was originally 50 something and marked down to 39.99. I figured I’d do some research as I do not need a shelf turd contaminating the bunker, too much stuff I know I’ll enjoy. I was actually in the store looking for the latest GD BIB but it hasn’t hit GA yet and my previous bottle is gone so it’s time to reup.

It might be worth a try. Decent place, good people, very transparent. Stopped at their distillery in Galena Illinois a couple of times. One of the brothers actually joined here many years ago. Didn’t make many posts.

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It might be worth a try. Decent place, good people, very transparent. Stopped at their distillery in Galena Illinois a couple of times. One of the brothers actually joined here many years ago. Didn’t make many posts.

Thanks Joe, it looks very interesting on paper and I appreciate the first hand account,  I will likely pull the trigger. 

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

This is more “bubble peaked” thread material but I imagine this isn’t moving because the shelves are saturated with the constant influx of new offerings, it’s impossible to keep up. Today’s shiny new thing is tomorrow’s close out bin special. This particular store keeps moving products around and expanding their bourbon/rye area to accommodate all the new stuff.

I tried Coopers  Craft in KY and it was in all the locals last I remember, I planned to get a bottle of the 100p during this same shopping stop but now Coopers is nowhere to be found?? I wonder if GA distribution dropped because they too were  getting passed over?

55 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

This is more “bubble peaked” thread material but I imagine this isn’t moving because the shelves are saturated with the constant influx of new offerings, it’s impossible to keep up. Today’s shiny new thing is tomorrow’s close out bin special. This particular store keeps moving products around and expanding their bourbon/rye area to accommodate all the new stuff.

I tried Coopers  Craft in KY and it was in all the locals last I remember, I planned to get a bottle of the 100p during this same shopping stop but now Coopers is nowhere to be found?? I wonder if GA distribution dropped because they too were  getting passed over?

We have a store in our area. Same thing. They had ps Whistle Pig Rye 6 yr for $40.00-$45.00. One day, boom. There was 8 or 10 cases of it in a clearance cart for $29.99. It lasted a few weeks. Seen it before with a couple of other things they had. 

• I like it 2

On 6/8/2024 at 1:53 PM, kcgumbohead said:

"Shelf turd?🤣

I'm stealing this, and will give you credit every time I use, or type, it!

Maker's Mark of any type - not sure why, but I just don't care for the taste...

(I've tried other wheated bourbons and it's alright.  Just MM for some reason...nope...)

• I like it 1

On 6/5/2024 at 11:32 AM, jvd99 said:

Lots of JD

IMG_7014.jpeg

Best price I've seen on the rye.

2 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Maker's Mark of any type - not sure why, but I just don't care for the taste...

(I've tried other wheated bourbons and it's alright.  Just MM for some reason...nope...)

I like the MMCA (but the price, ouch) and the BEP. Haven't enjoyed the remainder terribly much, not sure why that is. For lack of a better term, they seem "rough" to me.

33 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

I like the MMCA (but the price, ouch) and the BEP. Haven't enjoyed the remainder terribly much, not sure why that is. For lack of a better term, they seem "rough" to me.

That's fair.  I tend to like the barrel proof private stave picks with a few drops of water, or an ice cube in summer.  Seems to open them up.  Some of those tend to be dense and on the hot side.  YMMV

9 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

I just looked online and it looks like Grapes&Grains in Johns Creek has it.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

"Shelf turd?🤣

I'm stealing this, and will give you credit every time I use, or type, it!

LOL!, thanks but I didn’t originate it, I’m pretty sure I first saw it here on SB many years ago but immediately latched onto it. Such a great description for those bottles that linger on shelves forever.

• I like it 4