What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2024

PaulO

19 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on HMcK10 for $53.99.  Just wasn't feeling it today.  The same store still had the Bernheim Wheat BP for $89.99.  Yeah, not going to happen.

Both easy passes....

• I like it 1

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

Both easy passes....

HMcK10 is interesting.  I like it but there are several bottles in that price range that I like better.  Yet, recently I bought my first HH7 BIB and liked it more than I thought I would in comparison to HH6 BIB.  However, it is $42,99 in my area.  $11 for 3 more years age seems like a reasonable mark up.  

As a Cheap Bastard, I will keep a look out to buy them on the cheap.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

HMcK10 is interesting.  I like it but there are several bottles in that price range that I like better.  Yet, recently I bought my first HH7 BIB and liked it more than I thought I would in comparison to HH6 BIB.  However, it is $42,99 in my area.  $11 for 3 more years age seems like a reasonable mark up.  

Something similar happened to me with the HH7 BiB...I really like it...dammit!   

• I like it 1

Neither of these are available at home so it was a hard decision to pass.    But I had purchased enough already today and had no more room in my travel bags.   Interesting the BT was limited to one per but the Weller was not.   Total wine is always a mixed bag bag -  Fort Worth area, Texas

IMG_1612.jpeg

• I like it 1

Booker's $112.00

Stagg Jr $339.00

KC12 $79.00

Calumet 15 $125.00

Larceny BP $79.99

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

On 4/14/2024 at 3:08 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Booker's $112.00

Stagg Jr $339.00

KC12 $79.00

Calumet 15 $125.00

Larceny BP $79.99

I must admit, I'd have thought about the Bookers, I do like it. The others are easy-peasy passes for me.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

I must admit, I'd have thought about the Bookers, I do like it. The others are easy-peasy passes for me.

That quit being a buy for me once the price went North of $70.00. 

• I like it 1

26 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You are not alone, I've heard that from a lot of people who've been at it for awhile. 

We silly Noobs on the other hand....

• I like it 1

On 4/11/2024 at 9:25 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I haven’t purchased an HMcK 10 in over a year.  Most of them were meh, but about every 15th (20th?) bottle, I’d hit a batch that sent me hunting at stores along the wholesaler delivery route.  At today’s prices, I don’t bother and instead do what mbroo does - buy stuff I know isn’t hit or miss.  My local Wegmans offered HH BiB 7 for about $65 a few months ago, down from the $99 per at competing stores.  I bought one.  Then last month, it was $45 iirc, and I bought three.  Last week, my wife replenished my HH 7s by getting two at $65.  My neck is getting sore from all the whipping around at prices, but I do like it a lot.  At $45, I may load up although OGD BiB @ $24 and WT 101 ksbw @ $23 is hard to pass up. And on the rare occasions VOB 100 hits town, it goes for under $20, and it is the only bourbon tempting me to clear the shelf.

Uh, you think maybe I have an addiction problem?🙄

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I have a few bunkered from pre-$65 per 750 purchases, some in wood boxes.  This weekend, I wiped off the dust and decided that I’d open one or so this Spring.  Cannot drink it in Summer because of the hot proof, but April-May . . .  Not getting any younger, y’know.  Me not the Bookers.

• I like it 3

I've never thought HMcK10 was all that special.   I'd be more inclined to purchase it if it were a small batch rather than single barrel.   Same goes for Bakers.   There's just too much variation among single barrels,  which I attribute to the fact that HMcK10 doesn't strike me as particularly "curated" -  HH has a lot of older barrels and just puts 'em out there.   

Batching serves to help create a more predictable flavor profile.   I always feel I get what I pay for.    Even when the age statement on, say,  Elijah Craig has come, gone,  and come and gone again,  I've never experienced a bad bottle.   

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I've never thought HMcK10 was all that special.   I'd be more inclined to purchase it if it were a small batch rather than single barrel.   Same goes for Bakers.   There's just too much variation among single barrels,  which I attribute to the fact that HMcK10 doesn't strike me as particularly "curated" -  HH has a lot of older barrels and just puts 'em out there.   

Batching serves to help create a more predictable flavor profile.   I always feel I get what I pay for.    Even when the age statement on, say,  Elijah Craig has come, gone,  and come and gone again,  I've never experienced a bad bottle.   

Agreed, I was one and done with HMcK10 several years ago, I tried one knowing its reputation for variability and got a dud. With shelves packed with MUCH more reliable choices that I know I like and don't need to "feel lucky" when I pull it off the shelf, I saw no point in pursuing it any further. Now again that was years before the price hike and with the shelves now busting with even MORE choices than before, especially ryes, I don't care if I ever see one again.

• I like it 3

1792 Single Barrel for $350

Woodford BP 121.2 for $250

This store did not receive a dime from me after that.

• I like it 2

Passed a month ago on a KC18. He said I could walk out the door for $180 cash. I was working so I didn't have time to go to the atm as I was tempted. Credit card price was $197 + 11% tax. Yep, a little shady. Worked near there again yesterday and had $250+ cash. Of course the KC was gone but he did have:

Blanton's

EHT Single Barrel

Weller 12

Weller store pick full proof

JD12

and others all for $350 each. I couldn't help but remark at the Weller 12 being a $50 bottle for $350. His face actually flushed and he proceeded to show me several other bottles between $350 & $500. I said no thanks but I'll be back when I have more money or a bigger gun than he obviously had for a holdup. He at least got the joke. But I did tell him that if he can get those prices, more power to ya...

I passed on all & from this point on, even passing on the store, forever.

P.S. The JD10 and EHT SB was ten bucks cheaper. 🖕

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 4

Once you realize a store is a waste of time, not worth stopping in - it makes your life a little easier.

Also, when I see or hear of one of these unicorn museums (and sky high prices) - I would worry about provenance.  Did they buy this stuff on the black market.  Were these empty bottles that got refilled at some point.

• I like it 1

Passed on a lot; most lately OF 1924 at around $104 and Bookers around $80.  I have been trying to buy less because I have been trying to drink less.  But I just got a $100 gift cart for Total Wine so I have no choice!  See you in "What Bourbon Did You Purchase" soon!

• I like it 4

On 4/12/2024 at 8:43 PM, JT3NSB said:

Interesting the BT was limited to one per but the Weller was not.   Total wine is always a mixed bag bag -  Fort Worth area, Texas

IMG_1612.jpeg

The reason the BT family size was limited to 1 bottle per customer and the WSR was not is because the 1.75 size of WSR are released frequently here in Texas (basically at the same time as the 750) whereas the BT 1.75ml is somewhat common but not released as often here as the 750.

• I like it 1

On 4/17/2024 at 7:47 AM, Jazzhead said:

I totally agree with you that HMcK10 single barrel is not particularly well-curated in comparison to many other large legacy single barrel products.  About Elijah Craig small batch ... I like it as a dependable affordable bottle, but the quality of that bottle has really taken a dip in the past few years.  I only recommend it to people as a basic staple (dependable and a good fair price), because to me it doesn't really stand out from the crowd the way it used to when it was age stated.  Current WT101 has surpassed ECSmB by a country mile IMO.

• I like it 2

On 4/17/2024 at 12:13 PM, kcgumbohead said:

Agreed, I was one and done with HMcK10 several years ago, I tried one knowing its reputation for variability and got a dud.

I got lucky. Found one, tried it, really liked, bought a dozen from the same barrel. I rue the day they are done.

• I like it 4

Today I saw the new version JB Black (a whole shelf full) and a lonely MM 46 CS.  🤔  Grocery store makes you buy six bottles at a time to get decent price.  I wasn't up for that today.

Manager told me they just got in EW Single Barrel after not seeing any for a long time.  I told her since they lowered the age on that, it's not too interesting.

Stopped in a store (actually a gas station) that I hadn't been in in a while. They always had decent availability and prices were generally fair. Allocated stuff was maybe 5 to 10 $ over msrp and everything was on the shelf. I knew things were different when I immediately saw the BT trifecta of ER10, CEHTSMB, and Blanton's high on a shelf behind the counter. I think they have now set a new record for local prices...149, 199, and 249 respectively!

• I like it 4

On 4/14/2024 at 2:08 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Booker's $112.00

Stagg Jr $339.00

KC12 $79.00

Calumet 15 $125.00

Larceny BP $79.99

I bought a Booker's at the distillery for around your price last Fall. 

I love KC 12 and it's around $80 in my area, so I buy would buy that.

And Bourbon Gods forgive me, I bought Stagg this year for $190. I hadn't tasted it since Batch 14, and I just couldn't stop myself!

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

Stopped in a store (actually a gas station) that I hadn't been in in a while. They always had decent availability and prices were generally fair. Allocated stuff was maybe 5 to 10 $ over msrp and everything was on the shelf. I knew things were different when I immediately saw the BT trifecta of ER10, CEHTSMB, and Blanton's high on a shelf behind the counter. I think they have now set a new record for local prices...149, 199, and 249 respectively!

What. The. Heck. 

• I like it 1

On 4/21/2024 at 5:12 PM, IamMatt said:

Passed on a lot; most lately OF 1924 at around $104 and Bookers around $80.  I have been trying to buy less because I have been trying to drink less.  But I just got a $100 gift cart for Total Wine so I have no choice!  See you in "What Bourbon Did You Purchase" soon!

I couldn't help it, the FOMO got me and I broke down and bought the Booker's today.  Good news was that the Costco checker said, "Oh, I've been waiting for that" which led to us talking about bourbon, and I invited him to the West Coast Whiskey Club bottle share party this Saturday.

Booker's 2024-01.jpg

• I like it 3